Just got backed in by a freakin' Van, Big dent on the hood.

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2007, 03:04 PM

Car Info: 02 aspen white WRX
Just got backed in by a freakin' Van, Big dent on the hood.

So I was just upstairs at my girlfriend's apartment, and i heard something crashed.
and when i looked down, a van hit my front end, so i ran downstairs and saw this big dent on the front of my hood. Good thing they didn't damage my headlights tho.
But that guy said he borrowed the van, and couldn't find the insurance. So i wrote down his name, address, number, and all information on his driver's license.

But i am thinking, if i don't get his insurance information, that means i can't claim anything from his insurance. So does that mean if i call my insurance, i will have to pay the deductible myself to get it fix?

What else can i do to avoid having to pay out of my own pocket.

Thanks for any advice

edit: I got the insurance from him now, so i guess everything would be easy from now on. Thanks for the advices

edit 2: do you think paintless dent removal would work on the hood?

Name:  DSC00267.jpg
Views: 9
Size:  22.6 KB
Name:  SANY0050.jpg
Views: 8
Size:  32.6 KB
Name:  SANY0052.jpg
Views: 9
Size:  30.4 KB

Last edited by mhl23; 02-19-2007 at 04:05 PM.
Old 02-19-2007, 03:08 PM

Location: My lugnuts require more torque then your Honda makes
Car Info: 05 WRX
Make him pay for the damages or deductiable.
Old 02-19-2007, 03:15 PM

Car Info: 2005 WRB STi
or both, cause its his fault.
Old 02-19-2007, 03:34 PM
03.23.67 - 06.14.13

his insurance should take care of EVERYTHING. from your car rental to whatever.

why would you bring up the deductible?

my advice? document, document, document.

take pictures, not digital but rather film if possible. find eyewitnesses just in case. and make sure you hear from the other party within an agreed time or ASAP...

also, if you wanna ultra prepared, find a shop to get estimate. and see if they can give advice as to what else might have been damage but not visible right now...

good luck.
Old 02-19-2007, 04:23 PM

Car Info: WR Blue Wagon
Looks like no paint damage or creases, a good dent remover could probably fix that.

And that's not a big dent. I put a bigger dent than that in my fender when I fell against it and left an *** impression
Old 02-19-2007, 04:30 PM

Car Info: 02 WRB WRX
Call your insurance company and file a claim for the damage. If he does end up paying for the repair, which he should, then call your Insurance company and close the claim. That way, if things go south, at least your Insurance company will have a record of the incident and they can go after him for the damages.
Old 02-19-2007, 07:34 PM
03.23.67 - 06.14.13

Originally Posted by Racenut
Looks like no paint damage or creases, a good dent remover could probably fix that.

And that's not a big dent. I put a bigger dent than that in my fender when I fell against it and left an *** impression
+1

oh S**T dude...

at first it sounded like your car wasnt drivable...

but looking at those pixs, have the guy pay for STUPID DENT to come to your place and take that crap out...

be a nice guy and dont let get too far with the insurance companies... something like this can be taken care without getting them into it...

i mean it's probably less than $100 total... and you know how crappy subaru paint is to begin with... less mess to deal with and probably take less than hour...
Old 02-19-2007, 07:38 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: Ver IV STi Wagon
I highly doubt that any dent removal person will be able to fix that. The hood skins are basically joined there. The outer skin and the under bracing make in near impossible to do paintless dent removal on that, at least cost effecitvely (cheaper to get new hood, prep it and paint it rather than fix that).

Dipstick with the van is most likely going to be paying for a new hood.

Had a similar dent and unfortunately the individual who backed into me either had no clue that they did...or did not care, so I ended up paying my $500 deductible for a $2300 repair job. (New hood, paint and prep, new Morette headlight, and some other odds and ends that the body shop added on to the quote since the claims adjuster thought they were caused by the hit)
Old 02-19-2007, 09:11 PM

Smile

Originally Posted by RedStage
I highly doubt that any dent removal person will be able to fix that. The hood skins are basically joined there. The outer skin and the under bracing make in near impossible to do paintless dent removal on that, at least cost effecitvely (cheaper to get new hood, prep it and paint it rather than fix that).

Dipstick with the van is most likely going to be paying for a new hood.

Had a similar dent and unfortunately the individual who backed into me either had no clue that they did...or did not care, so I ended up paying my $500 deductible for a $2300 repair job. (New hood, paint and prep, new Morette headlight, and some other odds and ends that the body shop added on to the quote since the claims adjuster thought they were caused by the hit)
So i am probably looking at around $1000? I can't find any price online for a new hood. Good thing I went downstairs again when i saw the guy coming back to his car, and asked for insurance information.

Anyway, I will call his insurance tonight and file a claim.

Thanks for all the help !
Old 02-19-2007, 09:31 PM
VIP Member

Ever thought of going with carbon fiber? lol....now's your chance.

The autobody shop will generaly order a new non-painted hood directly from your nearest Subaru dealer.
Old 02-19-2007, 10:34 PM
Former Vendor

Car Info: Evo X
Agree... it's way to close to the edge. I have something like that, well, not as big, but just as close to the edge as yours on my hood. Even the dent instructor said no.

Since you have his insurance, I say NEW HOOD!! Good luck, and I mean it. You have too many body damage threads!!

Old 02-19-2007, 10:35 PM
Former Vendor

Car Info: Evo X
Thanks Leo, but that's too much for PDR...

Originally Posted by ldivinag
have the guy pay for STUPID DENT to come to your place and take that crap out...
Old 02-19-2007, 10:36 PM

Ever thought of going with carbon fiber? lol....now's your chance.

The autobody shop will generaly order a new non-painted hood directly from your nearest Subaru dealer.
I thought about that, but don't really want the attention from the cops. Although it'll look sick on a white car.

Any recommended shops near Berkeley? or else I might just go back to SJ for Creative Kustoms.
Old 02-19-2007, 10:38 PM
VIP Member

/\ no recommendations from me...too far south. Hear good things about Creative Kustoms every time someone posts up about them.
Old 02-19-2007, 11:02 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: Bugeyed Autowagon
Originally Posted by mhl23
I thought about that, but don't really want the attention from the cops.

You do know that Carbon can be painted over right? It was designed to save weight, not to be bling. Get one then paint it.

Quick Reply: Just got backed in by a freakin' Van, Big dent on the hood.