View Poll Results: Take the offer or not?
Do it. Think of all the bling bling.
39.29%
Don't do it. Think about the house (aka I-Club hotel).
3.57%
Hope my boss counter-offers.
32.14%
Whiney beeyotch, most people are lucky to have a job.
25.00%
Voters: 28. You may not vote on this poll

Job offer, take it or leave it?

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2004, 12:52 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: $200,000 sports car
Question Job offer, take it or leave it?

Cliff Notes: got job offer for a lot more $$ than I make now. short term contract vs. full time job. don't want to hose my boss, but i know they'd do it to me if the tables were turned.

I got a call from a recruiter today with a job offer of approximately 45% more per hour for a contract position than I make currently. I have about 18 months security at my current job, whereas this contract position is between 4 and 9 months with possibility of being hired full time (kinda leery about that, all recruiters say that). The job is a lock, mine if I want it. The catch here is that I'd have to start next Monday, basically giving my current company less than a week's notice. I'd have no chance of ever coming back here if I were to burn that bridge. They've been pretty good to me, but I know if they were in a tough spot I'd be getting a pink slip with almost no notice.

I know the market sucks right now, and it'd be hard to find something if this contract does in fact end after 9 months, but damn, that's a LOT more $$.
Old 03-23-2004, 12:56 PM
more than meets the eye

Car Info: ?
Do it. Think of all the bling bling (hoes).
Old 03-23-2004, 01:00 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: 08 sti
do it, if you dont your job will ditch you in a week anyways.. they allways do that.
Old 03-23-2004, 01:02 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: 2003 WRX, 2008 Camry
the real question: can you pull off a 9month leave of absence
VIP Member

Car Info: A limousine with a chauffer
just remember that when you're a contractor, you're responsible for all of your benefits and taxes. when you're full time, your company pays for half your social security tax, so you'll be paying 100% of that now.

I dont know man - that's a hard call to make.
VIP Member

Car Info: Black 2003 WRX Sedan
do it for the kids.
Old 03-23-2004, 01:09 PM
VIP Member

Originally posted by Sisqocqk

Originally posted by sonicsuby
just remember that when you're a contractor, you're responsible for all of your benefits and taxes. when you're full time, your company pays for half your social security tax, so you'll be paying 100% of that now.

I dont know man - that's a hard call to make.
that social security tax thing is not enough to make up the difference in pay. we're talking STi kind of money here, not WRX. the only hangup for me is the job security. my current job has almost 2 years of security right now, but when times get tough we're always in fear of layoff's.

who voted for the whiney beeyotch option?
Old 03-23-2004, 01:19 PM

Car Info: Not a subie!
Consider also as a contractor you are responsible for heath/dental insurance. Any other benefits you are getting now?

Approach your boss with this offer and see if they counter. The worst is you are asked to leave and then you can start the new job.
Old 03-23-2004, 01:55 PM

Car Info: 2007 Mazdaspeed 3
Take it! A few years back I was working for $19/hr and thought I could get more money elsewhere, so I got a new job making $30/hour then got let go a month later. The moral of the story is I forget.
Old 03-23-2004, 01:55 PM

Car Info: GDA
i agree with the above objections:

- job security...doesn't mean that much nowadays b/c they'll lay you off regardless of how long you've been there

- you have to factor in health, dental, and other benefits

- which job offers more training?

6-9 months comes pretty fast. if you're confident you can get another job by then (one that is better than your current one, that is), then move on. if not, maybe wait for a more suitable job to come up?
Old 03-23-2004, 01:56 PM

Car Info: GDA
Originally posted by Kuonji
Take it! A few years back I was working for $19/hr and thought I could get more money elsewhere, so I got a new job making $30/hour then got let go a month later. The moral of the story is I forget.
hahaha, the moral of the story is that a bird in the hand is worth two in the bush!
Old 03-23-2004, 02:09 PM
VIP Member

Originally posted by Ace
Let your boss know your situation. If you include him in your decision making you can possibly avoid ruining the relationship with him. I wouldnt be supprised if he could work with you to come up with the best solution.

Cheers!
that's a good idea.

what actually makes this a hard decision is that I DON'T have kids or any reason other than my house that makes job security a requirement. I'm 26, engaged but no kids, and a house with some equity (severance package if the isht hits the fan).
Old 03-23-2004, 02:12 PM

Car Info: 2003 Silver WRX Sedan, 1982 Corvette Collectors Ed.
Originally posted by Sisqocqk
One is not permitted to perform other employment while on a leave.

FMLA which, typically is the longest leave available doesn't last 9 months...

I think I missed the sarcasm...but just in case.

Anyway. I recently was facing the same dilema. I chose to stay with my current employer even though I was effectively being offered an increase of $18,000. The word of my loyalty made it up the lines, and I have been given a bonus from the corp. office.

I don't know what kind of work you do, but think of the time it will take to find comperable employment following the end fo the contract. Sure, you will be making +45% for the 9 months but if you take too long to get a new job or contract, effectively you may take a loss or simply break even.

Good Luck!

Quick Reply: Job offer, take it or leave it?