Job interviews/applications...do I lie?

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-2014, 09:32 AM

Car Info: 2013 STI Hatch
Job interviews/applications...do I lie?

So here is the back story. I was medically retired from my last career, due to disability injury...actually a couple of them...anyways that's neither here nor there.

The real only lasting effect that may influence my work is a bum knee...

One can claim ADA protection all they want, but I have a feeling I am getting no where on these entry level jobs because my reason for leaving last job was medical retirement/disability...

A couple buddies think it is because the companies don't want any chance of risk etc...so they claim me over qualified etc etc etc...

I would think that changing my resume/applications to say that I wanted a career change at 38 for no good reason would look bad...

So any of you guys in management/hr/ or small business owners, what do you think: lie and say I wanted a change in direction of life, or keep slugging away and find a spot where it can all be out in the open?

I have permanent medical on my injuries, plus the wife has great beni's so that stuff doesn't really matter.

But I am bored out of my mind and the wife insists I get a job...not to mention this land speed car project is suuuuper expensive...
Old 12-23-2014, 09:43 AM

Car Info: 2008 specB
Whether you say it or not, it doesn't change the fact that you are over qualified

Based on what you were medically retired from may make a difference in the employers eyes- medically retired from the steno pool is way different than retired from public safety or military...do you disclose to them your last career?
Old 12-23-2014, 09:45 AM

Yes...I spent time in both
Old 12-23-2014, 09:52 AM

I figured

What types of jobs? Have you tried a 'temp' agency? We hire temps frequently (how I originally was hired at my current place in fact due to 'over qualification' issues as well.) Going that route may help avoid the issue entirely.

I'd be happy to give you the names of the companies we use if you want.
Old 12-23-2014, 10:03 AM

That would be great!
Old 12-23-2014, 10:19 AM

Car Info: http://kiva.org/invitedby/brett4254
As far as lying goes... don't. It's actually illegal to lie on a job application. If you get the job, and are not working out for any reason, regardless of the time in the position, they can fire you for lying on the application and deny you unemployment.

While companies cannot discriminate, they can specify tasks that are part of the job... ie you always see the "must be able to lift 50 lbs" requirements on job positing.

My company is looking for truck-preps in San Francisco and San Jose. You'd basically be washing trucks and doing pre-rental inspections (oil, tires, lights etc).
Money ain't great (~$11/hr) but the work isn't too difficult. It's full time with benny's.

Last edited by Lowend; 12-23-2014 at 10:25 AM.
Old 12-23-2014, 10:26 AM

PM sent Slide.
Old 12-23-2014, 11:39 AM

Car Info: 1996 Impreza L
Why not just tell them your medical disability is due to being too awesome!
Old 12-23-2014, 03:55 PM
aka FlukeWRX

Car Info: '03 WRX WRB Sedan
Everyone lies in the Objectives Section of their resumes. If people put their actual objective "I want to be paid the highest amount possible, while doing the least amount of work possibly required" they would most likely never get a job where they completed the application.
Old 12-23-2014, 04:59 PM

Car Info: 06 WRB Wagon #wackfitmentsteex
Originally Posted by JelloChex
Everyone lies in the Objectives Section of their resumes. If people put their actual objective "I want to be paid the highest amount possible, while doing the least amount of work possibly required" they would most likely never get a job where they completed the application.
I lold. +1
Old 12-23-2014, 08:32 PM
General Pimpin'

Car Info: MY04 aspen wrx wagon.
Don't lie.

Find a way to word it better or shift focus to the things you think they'll want to see.

Example. I got laid off. My wife got pregnant. I decided to stay home for a while. Be a dad. Freelance. When I first started looking I got no contacts. Well next to none.

So I changed my resume... the way it looked and the way it read. Instead of glossing over the 2 year gap in my employment I highlighted it. I focused on the free lance and spot lighted the stay at home dad. It was a choice. I am proud of it.

Not too long after I got a few hits. I've had a few since I took my job. The job I got was the kind of job I've wanted my entire career. I freakin love my job.

Don't lie. Be honest. Be creative.

Medically retired from something like the military without explaination can read as... PTSD or many other things that people just don't understand when in fact it can just mean that you needed a surgery and for what you were suppose to be doing you couldn't lift 150 pound ammo crates anymore but you can still lift 50 pound bags of concrete at the construction yard.

People don't get it.
Old 12-23-2014, 08:34 PM
General Pimpin'

Car Info: MY04 aspen wrx wagon.
Originally Posted by JelloChex
I didn't lie.

I said I wanted a position that challenged me with the opportunity to grow... etc etc etc. If I wanted to make a fortune I would have stay in medical school or kept working for the phone company. Hell... had I stayed there I'd be less than 10 years away from a mulimillion dollar retirement with a fat pension. LOL! But I woulda hated life.
Old 12-23-2014, 09:35 PM

Originally Posted by UKn00b
Why not just tell them your medical disability is due to being too awesome!
But I was born with that trait!!!
Old 12-24-2014, 06:13 PM

Car Info: Whatever The Lot Provides ;)
Ditto what these guys have said. When I retired out from one of my jobs and got my knee and arm fixed I was straight up about it. I figured although I lost out on some specific jobs at specific places, I am better off since in my eyes anyone that would pass up on someone out of pure conjecture is a naive idiot or someone working for a place I would end up wanting to leave because they're dumb like that. Freelancing, contracting, going back to college for a different set of degrees and spending time doing bicycle stuff was some of the best times of my life. I dealt w all sorts of good and stupid people, but it helped me grow.

As far as how you have your resume, etc, look at how you have it written out as well as how you prepared versus how you should prepare differently to address this stuff in interviews or while filling out applications.

Ray, myself, heck a lot more of us here have all been there. Find a time to meet up w us and we can all get coffee and tear your current resume to pieces and give you something better to work with.

PM me if you want to. I have a little free time w New Year's and these weekends to meet out in Fremont or Union City.

Side note to Ray, see, taking time away from "reality" and finding your own does have it's benefits! You seem a lot happier these days.

Last edited by TheFozz; 12-24-2014 at 06:17 PM.