jdmage/suspension questions....

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2005, 01:03 AM
General Pimpin'

Car Info: MY04 aspen wrx wagon.
jdmage/suspension questions....

OK....

So I have spec C full suspension swap on my wagon...04. Sense it's a sedan suspension I get that lovely *** droop. Well I'm not to stoked with the way my car sits or corners right now.

I've been thinking of changing my set up...here are my thoughts and questions.

Option 1. Pick up the V8 JDM STI wagon suspension and swap my stuff out and sell it.

Option 2. Keep my struts and get some pink wagon springs. sell my spec C springs.

Option 3. Put some pink wagon springs and new top hats on my stock struts and put those in. Sell my current set up.

Option 4. Suck it up and pick up a lower level coil over. Like Tein Flex or something of that nature...not sure I want to do this as I'd rather wait awhile and get a higher quality coil over which I can't afford currently.

So...question....are the sedan and wagon struts the same? I know the rear springs on the wagon are taller...hence stopping the droop... I'm wondering if the rear struts are taller as well. I'm wondering this because the spec C struts are nice.

At this point I'm leaning towards options 1 or 3.

now if I can just get some new sway bars.
Old 12-28-2005, 01:28 AM

Car Info: '02 PSM WRX
I know the rears have different struts so I'm not sure if you can put wagon springs on sedan struts...

I'd say, if you're going to eventually go with full coilovers, go for the cheaper method which would probably be pink springs and stock struts...
Old 12-28-2005, 03:27 AM
General Pimpin'

anyone know the spring rates.......

1. Stock WRX Sedan
2. Stock WRX Wagon
3. Spec C
4. Pink Wagon Springs

front and rear.....

If I go with the pink springs on stock struts I'll probably get better top mounts and that will push me up around six hundred I think....the sti wagon is much more than that.
Old 12-28-2005, 07:59 AM

Car Info: 05 WRX Wagon
Opinion

Originally Posted by OneManArmy
OK....

So I have spec C full suspension swap on my wagon...04. Sense it's a sedan suspension I get that lovely *** droop. Well I'm not to stoked with the way my car sits or corners right now.

I've been thinking of changing my set up...here are my thoughts and questions.

Option 1. Pick up the V8 JDM STI wagon suspension and swap my stuff out and sell it.

Option 2. Keep my struts and get some pink wagon springs. sell my spec C springs.

Option 3. Put some pink wagon springs and new top hats on my stock struts and put those in. Sell my current set up.

Option 4. Suck it up and pick up a lower level coil over. Like Tein Flex or something of that nature...not sure I want to do this as I'd rather wait awhile and get a higher quality coil over which I can't afford currently.

So...question....are the sedan and wagon struts the same? I know the rear springs on the wagon are taller...hence stopping the droop... I'm wondering if the rear struts are taller as well. I'm wondering this because the spec C struts are nice.

At this point I'm leaning towards options 1 or 3.

now if I can just get some new sway bars.

I have a my05 wrx wagon, and I came to the same problem as you in terms of suspension options. I was half tempted to go with spec c or s203 or the like set ups, but avoided because of saggy wagon bumb syndrome.

Anyway, of all the options you listed I would go with the first one. This will provide with a minimal drop (like it's in the 1/4 to 1/2'' range) and not give you the wonky front camber issues. You may also consider going with koni inserts, as they provide great adjustability, excellent cornering, and can be dialed in for comfort or performance. From what I have heard, getting the sti pink wagon springs will also help even out your ride in both height and stiffness. Currently, I'm running Eibachs with 400/400 (stiff as hell) in front and rear. Feel free to pm me and I will help as much as I can.

Ben
Old 12-28-2005, 08:48 AM

Car Info: 05 H2 SUT, 45 GPW, 10 Murano, 13 Boss 302
Just save up and get a good set of coilovers. That way you can adjust the height to suit your liking, as well as properly balance the vehicle. Unless a sedan suspension can be height adjusted and have the damping/rebound/spring rates changed, it's never going to handle correctly on a wagon. The weight distribution, among other things, just is not correct.

Of course it depends on your intended use, but as a former wagon owner, my vote is coilover. You should send a PM to user: Lowball. He had a full pink setup on his 02 wagon which he recently swapped for a set of Zeals. Ask him how much better his WRX handles now.
Old 12-28-2005, 12:07 PM

Originally Posted by Egan
Just save up and get a good set of coilovers. That way you can adjust the height to suit your liking, as well as properly balance the vehicle. Unless a sedan suspension can be height adjusted and have the damping/rebound/spring rates changed, it's never going to handle correctly on a wagon. The weight distribution, among other things, just is not correct.

Of course it depends on your intended use, but as a former wagon owner, my vote is coilover. You should send a PM to user: Lowball. He had a full pink setup on his 02 wagon which he recently swapped for a set of Zeals. Ask him how much better his WRX handles now.

The question is how much adjustability does he actually need? Lots of my friends who do a lot of track running/auto-x/ fun mountain driving feel that you pretty much adjust once and leave it alone. If you don't need fully adjustable there is no sense in spending the possible 2k for a good set of coilovers or 1k for teins (sp?) if you aren't going to be playing with height all the time. Like I said this is just my opinion. Do contact Lowball, he knows his wagon suspension like none other.
Old 12-28-2005, 12:07 PM

Ps: or contact bigskywrx from nasioc or clubwrx, he is the wagon suspension god of all time. (period)
Old 12-28-2005, 01:58 PM
General Pimpin'

Originally Posted by subabu05
Ps: or contact bigskywrx from nasioc or clubwrx, he is the wagon suspension god of all time. (period)
I've talked with bigsky and lance (lowball) is my homie and go to guy for all things wagon..him and a couple other chosen few. Justin. Jeff. etc.

I'd love to get some zeal V6s like lance has but I just don't have the coin anymore. I got laid off from work. I had the B6's on my civic and they flat ripped.

I'm leaning toward some kind of strut/spring set up for now because I really don't have $2-2500+ for the style of coil over I'd want....

beyond that to be honest with myself I'm not a track guy. As much as I'd love to be I just can't afford to do it on a regular basis...my goal would honestly be to do it 1-3 times a year. So far I'm at zero because I don't like the way my car feels right now.

I drove jeff's wagon with stock struts/pink spring. Frt/rear sway bars and end links and the thing was a dream compared to mine.

I'm leaning toward the sti wagon set up for right now unless I can get a screaming deal on a set of cusco or zeal coil overs.

It would be nice to be able to adjust them since during the winter I do a ton of snowboarding.

I'll have to run some of this by lance and bigsky. Just figured I'd try here cause I know there are some guys that know jdm equipment out there. I'll drop aaron a line too....though he's a sedan guy.

I just hate that my rear end is so much lower than the front...not just for looks but because I just can't get any rotation and it rubs like mad with more than 2 people in the car.
Old 12-28-2005, 02:30 PM

Car Info: 04 STi
another option is prodrive springs with kyb/gr2 struts (hopefully this setup will be in my future). good drop for us wagon owners, not too expensive and lots of good reviews. only potential issue is the struts being 'underdamped'...im not a suspension guru but thats the only 'complaint' Ive come across
Old 12-28-2005, 03:17 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: 02Wag on 17's
OneMan! Sup....

Seems like there are a tone of possible things you could do...I know one guy had some Koni adj inserts and prodrive springs on his wagon and was pretty happy with the look and drop. The suspension game is a pricey one at best. Finding the right set up for your intended purpose is the key...as you already know.

BigSky will be your best bet for spring/strut combos on wags or you can also try GTguy on Nasioc. He use to be my go-to guy way back when. Think he has a LGT Wag now.

For me right now I'm pretty much set with the exception of a larger front sway that I'd like to get (whiteline front wagon bar). Once I get that I'll have to re-dial in everything...from the street to the track for fine tuning.

But my basic setups have gone from
Tein HA's, to
STi v7 Pink adjustables w/wagon pink springs, to
Zeal V6's

I never did do a lot of switching between different springs and looking for the perfect drop (or even look). I think the most even look I had was with the HA's and that was when I didn't know jack about Subaru wagon suspension. I just told them I wanted it to look even.
Old 12-28-2005, 04:05 PM
General Pimpin'

The look is nice...of course I want it to look good. I'd like it close to even. But I also realize that the cars are intended to be slightly higher in the front and if it is indeed even then the front is actually lower than the back and with our cars that's all bad.

My main deal is that it's just a bit too low in the back and it's hurting my handling as well as my comfort..haaa.

I'm thinking of trying the wagon springs on my current struts or going with the full on sti wagon set up...just need to find spring rates. I like how stiff my car is right now. it hugs pretty good...just has no rotation.

maybe I'll just do up all my sway bars and see how it goes. If I still don't like it maybe I'll go to coil overs.....
Old 12-28-2005, 04:07 PM
General Pimpin'

oh....and lance....we need to try and ride this year. I'm gonna plan a couple of trips for the guys this year. I've got like 3 days in so far. hoping to go up thursday for a couple days. We'll see.
Old 12-28-2005, 04:55 PM

Car Info: Hilux Double Cab with a Dishka on top
I had STi V8 struts and RS*R Ti2000 springs on my wagon. The drop was pretty nice. As was the handling too. No *** droop. You might wanna look into getting a set of these.
Old 12-28-2005, 04:57 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: 02Wag on 17's
Originally Posted by OneManArmy
oh....and lance....we need to try and ride this year. I'm gonna plan a couple of trips for the guys this year. I've got like 3 days in so far. hoping to go up thursday for a couple days. We'll see.
Nice!

I'm heading to Hood Meadows next month for two days of pow (I hope). But I need to get a day or two in here pretty soon. How's the Wood these days? We can try and meet up again...

LB
Old 12-28-2005, 06:29 PM

Car Info: '02 PSM WRX
Well, if you're looking for other options other than the ones listed. You can go for a Koni Yellow + Ground Control setup. It'll run around 1k but you get full adjustability like a coilover set except for the camber adjusting tophats.

I run this suspension and it's great, though I should have researched more on the spring rates. One thing I like about Ground Controls is they'll get you any spring rate for no extra charge. Also, one of the guys that works there owns a WRX and usually will hook you up like $20-30 off.

I got my Konis for about 500 though the going rate is $600. And Ground Controls are $399. I think this setup, if you add pillowball tophats can perform just as well as a set of 2k+ coilovers for 1/2 the price.