If you stored your car for a few years, and the car doesn't start, whats the problem?

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2005, 01:36 PM

Car Info: 2005 STi Silver
If you stored your car for a few years, and the car doesn't start, whats the problem?

I'm thinking the battery is drained so no power to get the starter working and no crank. Does anyone know how to get the car started after its been sitting for a while? I would probably have to inflate the tires, if not replace them, add fluids to almost everything, and maybe even more engine oil? How would I get the car to start, would jumping the car with jumper cables work..or do i need a battery charger...or even a new abttery? thanks for all your help, just a quick newbie question.

Also does improperly storing a car cause significant damage? if so, what kind of damage would it cause?

Last edited by BoxerRumble; 02-21-2005 at 01:37 PM. Reason: more questions
Old 02-21-2005, 01:39 PM

You will probally need all new fluids and i wouldnt even try to start the engine with that fuel in it. You need to drain the tank and fill it with fresh fuel.
Old 02-21-2005, 01:43 PM
Dahveed aka Robin Hood

Car Info: (RIP) '04 STi Silver
marvel mystery oil in the cylinders helps, through the sparkplug hole, plus pre-oil the motor by cranking it after you've added the mystery oil, prior to hooking up the ignition.

some cars you can manually actuate the oil pump without priming the motor...
Old 02-21-2005, 01:48 PM

Car Info: 2005 STi
Yeah..change all the fluids, drain the old gas, put in fuel injector cleaner, jumping might work, might need a new battery, charging might be dangerous if the battery is old...dont want it exploding or anything.
Storing without periodically starting it can be pretty bad. Probably the most important thing is the oil level. Keeping oil circulating throughout the engine periodically prevents any rust or corosion from building up inside the engine. I assume that it is fuel injected, but if not the carburator should be cleaned.
As far as inflating the tires, they might hold air, but be carefull driving it if you do get it started. Dont know if the brakes will hold up and stuff like that.
Good luck getting her started.
-Mike
Old 02-21-2005, 01:49 PM

so..how would i drain the old fuel? siphon it out with a tube thingy? Thanks for the advice on the mystery oil and ...pre oiling the motor...how would i crank it without igniting the spark plugs, like if you cant manually actuate the oil pump? ill look into that, thanks for all your help!
Old 02-21-2005, 02:13 PM
Dahveed aka Robin Hood

what kind of car is it??

American V8's have the oil pump driven by the distributor, so you use an attachment to a drill that works like the dist. gear, and you prime the oil pump.

otherwise, you pre-oil the cylinders with the marvel, leave the sparkplugs out of the cylinders, with the wires disconnected from the plugs, and turn the engine over with the starter.

this will oil everything up without the posibility of the engine firing.

drain the gastank, remove it from the car, replace the fuel filter, drain all of the fuel lines, etc.
Old 02-21-2005, 03:14 PM

alrighty, thanks for the tips, sounds like a lot of stuff to do. the car is an rx-7 fc, and can this all be done with someone who doesnt really have any mechanical background?
Old 02-21-2005, 03:20 PM
Dahveed aka Robin Hood

umm, damn man, what I told you mainly applies to piston engines, I honestly don't have the slightest clue about how to revive a rotary...

for instance I don't know if what I'm suggesting could be bad for the apex seals, or the other seals, etc.

I would rather you got some advice from people that specifically know about how to revive rotary motors.
Old 02-21-2005, 04:06 PM

Car Info: 02 WRX wagon=dead; rollin' in a Craptastic Camry!
Besides the obvoius search criteria, try an internet search for "wankel".

I would think that in any vehicle you would want to get the old gas out and get some new gas in. Same thing with the oil, and all hydraulic fluids.
Old 02-21-2005, 05:55 PM

Well, no problem, and thanks again for all your help, i think ill head over to the rx-7 board but their registration system seems to be down. thanks again!
Old 02-21-2005, 07:11 PM

Car Info: 03 MBP WRX
Rotaries that have been sitting for a while can get what is called carbon lock. All the carbon build-up inside the motor will bond to the apex seals and seize the motor completely. You will need to turn the motor over with a breaker bar attached to the eccentric shaft in order to free it from the carbon. If the carbon is really bad you won't be able to turn the motor at all by hand, and you will need to rebuild the motor.
Old 02-21-2005, 07:20 PM
Dahveed aka Robin Hood

I'm wondering if there is a chemical which can assist in breaking the apex seals from the inside of the combustion chamber, without breaking down or tearing the seals...

some old-school BMW 2002 trick was to pour brake fluid down the throat of the carburetor, it was supposed to break the carbon off the pistons and the combustion chamber, but I have no scientific backing data.

Last edited by Group B; 02-21-2005 at 07:27 PM.
Old 02-21-2005, 07:55 PM

with rotarys do this. go the engine compartment and pull the ecu and fuel pump fuse. thier right new to each other . then pull out the plugs and crank the motor over for 6 seconds. get some tranny fluid and pour and little into each rotor on the bottom hole. pull both plugs out and make sure you rember wich one is the primary and wich is secondary. once you put the oil in i usually crank it over and add some more. you can let it sit for a while if you like to breakup any carbon. reinstal the plugs . make sure you drian the gas tank. old gas suks. after you put in new gas. make sure all fuilds are toped off and reinstall teh fuses. then keep you foot about 1/2 on the gas and try starting teh car. this usually works everytime.

the oil/ burning of the plugs techniqe works for a flooded engine too.

-adrian
Old 02-21-2005, 07:58 PM

also since i see you have a fc try these sites

rx7club.com
teamfc3s.org
nopistons.com

there are a few others but this should get you started. trust me search most of this stuff has been coverd. if you have anymore questions pm me. i gotta show you guys some pics of my fire shooting fc.......

-adrian
Old 02-22-2005, 08:53 AM
General Pimpin'

Car Info: MY04 aspen wrx wagon.
bah....try like 20 years man..haaa. My caddy was stored under a tree...got driven home from tracy by my buddy rodd. Lets see a modern car do that..haaa.

No seriously though. New battery. I'd drain the gas..even to the point of dropping the tank and cleaning it out. check all the fluids. I'd change them all. Oil especially since it's so easy.

Beyond that...really with new gas and new battery it should fire right up.

as for inproperly storing a car...most people that store cars do it wrong. Properly it should be up on blocks with a treatment in the gas. dry and covered.

if the cars has been sitting for a couple years and not moved you'll most definately need new tires.