If a guy asks his girlfriend to move in with him, does she have to pay rent?

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2014, 02:04 PM
Friendly Neighborhood Ogre

Car Info: GUNATICS.COM
If a guy asks his girlfriend to move in with him, does she have to pay rent?

As the title states, this was asked by one of my friends on a social media site and I was surprised by some of the answers. Curious what you guys and gals have to say.
Old 09-23-2014, 02:05 PM

Car Info: 05 wrx wagon, 90 celica alltrac, 66 mustang
I would think so.
Old 09-23-2014, 02:07 PM

Car Info: MY00 GC6 BRP
Of course. Thats basically the excuse of, since Im letting you stay here full time. You can also help out with expenses and utilities.

P.S. Thanks for cooking me dinner!
Old 09-23-2014, 02:08 PM

Car Info: 2018 Tacoma TRD PRO
Yes
Old 09-23-2014, 02:09 PM
Dirty Purple Ukrainian

Car Info: SUBARU BROOM
i think it be fair to split everything in half, or he pays for one thing and she pays for other.
Old 09-23-2014, 02:19 PM

What would be the argument against the girl/guy not paying?
Old 09-23-2014, 02:20 PM
Churro Aficionado

Car Info: IG - @TEAMMOISTOFFICIAL
Originally Posted by i<3dirt
i think it be fair to split everything in half, or he pays for one thing and she pays for other.
Agreed.
Old 09-23-2014, 02:21 PM

Car Info: 2007 SWP STI
My opinion is if he is paying rent, then yes she should split it with him. If he owns his own place I don't think she should pay part of his mortgage unless they are engaged or obviously married.
If they aren't in a point in their relationship to discuss this matter openly between themselves then maybe she shouldn't be moving in with him in the first place.
Old 09-23-2014, 02:21 PM
Dirty Purple Ukrainian

Originally Posted by LOL_VTEC
What would be the argument against the girl/guy not paying?
Well if she/he does not have a job, she/he should help out around the house.
Old 09-23-2014, 02:22 PM
Churro Aficionado

Car Info: IG - @TEAMMOISTOFFICIAL
Originally Posted by beLittled
My opinion is if he is paying rent, then yes she should split it with him. If he owns his own place I don't think she should pay part of his mortgage unless they are engaged or obviously married.
If they aren't in a point in their relationship to discuss this matter openly between themselves then maybe she shouldn't be moving in with him in the first place.
Curious as to why its different in own vs rent in your opinion? Assuming they are just dating and not engaged/married.
Old 09-23-2014, 02:22 PM

Car Info: 2006 STI
Originally Posted by i<3dirt
/\This right here.

My wife and I split rent and bills down the middle when we moved in together years ago. A good friend and his lady do it a lil different, he pays the rent she covers all the bills and their car payment too so it ends up being close to equal but he does make a bit more and another friend his lady makes BANK so she pays a little more so he has more "play money". i told him to read that as RING MONEY and to not lag on getting the ring LOL.
Old 09-23-2014, 02:26 PM
Dirty Purple Ukrainian

Originally Posted by SkizzDawg
/\This right here.

My wife and I split rent and bills down the middle when we moved in together years ago. A good friend and his lady do it a lil different, he pays the rent she covers all the bills and their car payment too so it ends up being close to equal but he does make a bit more and another friend his lady makes BANK so she pays a little more so he has more "play money". i told him to read that as RING MONEY and to not lag on getting the ring LOL.
this is also a good point.
Old 09-23-2014, 02:27 PM

Car Info: 2006 STI
Originally Posted by beLittled
If she isn't helping with the mortgage then she should be taking care of the bills, cable, water, electric, garbage/sewer. I can understand not helping pay a persons house payment (investment) off if the two are not a true long term couple but the house bills are not an investment and are usage bills while she is there using things.
Old 09-23-2014, 02:28 PM

Originally Posted by SkizzDawg
If she isn't helping with the mortgage then she should be taking care of the bills, cable, water, electric, garbage/sewer. I can understand not helping pay a persons house payment (investment) off if the two are not a true long term couple but the house bills are not an investment and are usage bills while she is there using things.
Agreed.
Old 09-23-2014, 02:30 PM

Car Info: 2007 SWP STI
Originally Posted by stupidchicken03

Curious as to why its different in own vs rent in your opinion? Assuming they are just dating and not engaged/married.
Well I haven't personally been in a situation as such but I would assume if she paid part mortgage without there being clear guidelines in the beginning things may get ugly if the couple were to ever break up. She may argue that she was helping him pay for the property; of course it would be only his name on the paper work but I'm still cautious.
Each relationship is different so it really is hard to come up with a straight answer.

It's like asking if couples should have joint accounts or separate. .*shrug

Edit: to Skizz yes I do think they should definitely split everything else (utilities, food, insurance, etc) but the question specifically asked about rent.

Quick Reply: If a guy asks his girlfriend to move in with him, does she have to pay rent?