Idiots burn down their own homes..

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2004, 11:54 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: A limousine with a chauffer
Idiots burn down their own homes..

So last night I'm driving home with my gf and we're passing through this relatively ghetto area. There are kids EVERYWHERE doing fireworks (illegal and legal). This is a two lane road seperated by a turn (chicken) lane and there are kids in the chicken lane setting stuff off.

Anyway, some of them are throwing fireworks and stuff and my gf and I are thinking "man these idiots are going to start a fire".

About 15 minutes ago I'm watching the news with my gf and we see the headline:

5-Alarm Fire Destroys Sacramento Apartments
OWNED.

Illegal Fireworks Suspected Of Sparking Massive Blaze

POSTED: 10:17 am PDT July 5, 2004
UPDATED: 5:05 pm PDT July 5, 2004
SACRAMENTO, Calif. -- Illegal fireworks are suspected of causing a five-alarm blaze that destroyed several apartments in a Sacramento complex early Monday.

The fire happened at 12:30 a.m. at the Woodbridge Apartments at San Juan Road and Smoketree Drive.

Authorities said residents called police late Sunday to report several juveniles running through the complex throwing firecrackers onto balconies. Officers responded and were talking to residents when one of the balconies burst into flames.

In just minutes, the blaze escalated to a five-alarm fire.

Eight units in the 16-unit building were destroyed. The others suffered major smoke and water damage.

"The firefighters kicked in my door and saturated everything with water before (the fire) even got over ... so I lost everything," resident Andy Cruz said.

Video

KCRA's Brian Hickey Reports
Download RealPlayer

"Unfortunately, this is this is the kind of damage that fireworks can cause if used inappropriately," Sacramento Fire Department Capt. Niko King said.

Fire investigators said they have physical evidence indicating that fireworks may have played a role in the blaze.

Authorities said they are trying to locate the three juveniles seen running through the complex for questioning.

The Red Cross was assisting the more than 50 people that were displaced by the fire.

Early damage estimates were $500,000, but that number was expected to rise.
http://www.thekcrachannel.com/news/3494336/detail.html
Old 07-06-2004, 12:01 AM

Car Info: 180sx super drift machine!
Pwnd.
Old 07-06-2004, 12:01 AM
Zee

Car Info: 04 White Aspen WRX
DamN! Were the heck were the parents!?
Old 07-06-2004, 12:08 AM
VIP Member

in that area, the parents were probably in on it..this is an area where they live in these busted *** apartments yet many somehow drive escalades or suburbans with $$$ thousands in wheels.
Old 07-06-2004, 01:20 AM

Car Info: gc w/ neons and a wrx that needs neons
damn, i hope that teaches the parents to be more responsible and watch their kids.
Old 07-06-2004, 01:35 AM
Chewwwwy

Car Info: Random, yet well planed selection of jdm cult cars
dang... just a fine example of the idiots we have here in this country.
Old 07-06-2004, 02:26 AM

Car Info: Mazda Protege '02 (Wishing protege has AWD and a H6 twin turbo)
From the news i heard it was punks that burned down someone elses homes not their own.
Old 07-06-2004, 02:35 AM
VIP Member

Originally Posted by RoadSpike
From the news i heard it was punks that burned down someone elses homes not their own.
In those apt. I wouldn't be surprised if the kids lived in that same complex..but yeah, dunno.
Old 07-06-2004, 06:41 AM

Car Info: 2010 370z Roadster, 2008 Frontier CrewCab
Angry

<rant>This is one of those things where if the kids are actually caught, the parents deny any responsibility: "Oh, my little boy wouldn't never have done that" or "My kid's not really at fault, he just hung out with the wrong crowd".

Only in the USA, the kid somehow becomes the "victim". Sigh...</rant>
Old 07-06-2004, 07:47 AM

Car Info: 2016 Red WRX
ya, only in america. if u put those kids in a sweatshop they are TOO TIRED to do that kind of crap!
Old 07-06-2004, 10:10 AM
General Pimpin'

Car Info: MY04 aspen wrx wagon.
my roommates friend and his wife and 2 babies were down from oregon visiting the folks and friend. Folks offered to let them stay at their place. Well last minute Matt got a hotel...figured too much trouble for the folks to have 2 babies cramped up in his folks house. That night my room mate drops everyone off. Then later on that night the phone call comes.

Folks had to get rescued through the window. People next door jumped out..lady broke her back. couple other neighbors died. Huge fire destroyed pretty much the whole complex. Our friends parents lost everything they had in the house. Luckily they have another one that they keep a lot of their important stuff at. Matt and the kids had been in that apartment there is no way all 6 of them could have been rescued. Timing is a strange thing.

Fire is not funny.
Old 07-06-2004, 02:05 PM
VIP Member

Originally Posted by OneManArmy
my roommates friend and his wife and 2 babies were down from oregon visiting the folks and friend. Folks offered to let them stay at their place. Well last minute Matt got a hotel...figured too much trouble for the folks to have 2 babies cramped up in his folks house. That night my room mate drops everyone off. Then later on that night the phone call comes.

Folks had to get rescued through the window. People next door jumped out..lady broke her back. couple other neighbors died. Huge fire destroyed pretty much the whole complex. Our friends parents lost everything they had in the house. Luckily they have another one that they keep a lot of their important stuff at. Matt and the kids had been in that apartment there is no way all 6 of them could have been rescued. Timing is a strange thing.

Fire is not funny.
wait..so his parents or friends lived at this complex? or another one?
Old 07-06-2004, 02:12 PM
General Pimpin'

Car Info: MY04 aspen wrx wagon.
I don't think it was THAT complex. I could ask, but I don't think they live in sacramento I think it was in santa clara. I know for sure one man died and one woman messed up her back. And I know my friends folks lost everything in the house. Fire was insanely intense.

So yeah..it was our friends parents....
Old 07-06-2004, 11:08 PM

Car Info: 2004 USDM STI
The kids and the parents should be burned alive, aired on PPV, and the money collected goes to the victims. Too bad this isn't Iraq.
Old 07-07-2004, 12:19 AM
Hurray, it's Ian!!

Car Info: 2002 MBP WRX Sedan
i was in carmel at the beach on the 4th and these rednecks threw paintcans into their bonfire. beats any firework i've ever seen. huge fireball into the air + mushroom cloud status. i'm not too down about the flying shrapnel that could have cut my friends and I up, since we were relatively close though...but luckily none of us got hurt...and unfortunately, none of them got hurt either.