I need your help I-Club!!!

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2017, 05:16 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: 00 BRP RS LIC'd 01 EJ207 + non DCCD 6 Speed
Originally Posted by stg2lgcy00
Fack, alright then that is teh suck Hopefully you can find someone at a dealership that'll get you a printout!
Yeah man, sucks for sure. I'm convinced this is this state's favorite trick to keep people from doing something they deem inappropriate. Don't make it illegal, just make the requirements so difficult that no one will bother. The ref said he'd seen like 13ish cars come through with engine swaps since the new regs went into effect, and only one was able to get the necessary invoice from the dealership. Realistically it's my fault as I should've gotten my BAR sticker years ago, but was too lazy to do so since the car passed smog easily every time.

Originally Posted by stg2lgcy00
I wonder if this will affect people like myself and others who have already passed ref in the past and got the sticker?
I highly doubt it since you already have your BAR sticker. You should be GTG I'd think. It's nice that you've never needed it, I never did either, but it might become more important now with this new crap, which is yet another reason I want to get it.
Old 04-18-2017, 08:33 AM
If in doubt, FLAT OUT

Car Info: 2010 Hatch, 2011 Sedan
Originally Posted by EndlessWaltz RS
Yeah man, sucks for sure. I'm convinced this is this state's favorite trick to keep people from doing something they deem inappropriate. Don't make it illegal, just make the requirements so difficult that no one will bother. The ref said he'd seen like 13ish cars come through with engine swaps since the new regs went into effect, and only one was able to get the necessary invoice from the dealership. Realistically it's my fault as I should've gotten my BAR sticker years ago, but was too lazy to do so since the car passed smog easily every time.

I highly doubt it since you already have your BAR sticker. You should be GTG I'd think. It's nice that you've never needed it, I never did either, but it might become more important now with this new crap, which is yet another reason I want to get it.
So sounds like getting BAR cert is going to be key. Figured those who had already gotten it would be OK UNLESS for some reason you didn't pass.
Old 04-18-2017, 02:54 PM
VIP Member

^Exactly. BAR sticker will most likely play a more important role from now on, but I do think anyone with an existing BAR sticker should be good.

I may have made some progress at Marin Subaru last night after work. Keep your fingers crossed for me.
Old 04-18-2017, 03:08 PM

Car Info: 1996 Impreza L
This was introduced first of the year and is indeed the new process for cars with swaps like ours (on new stuff 08+ they can actually confirm ECU flash state themselves). If you look closely at the paperwork you were given back after failing for not having dealer paperwork confirming your ECU's flash state it should read somewhere "Do not issue smog certificate" what this means is once you have started down this rabbit hole you will be unable to conduct registration renewal and Smog at a standard station until you have been signed off by the REF!
Old 04-18-2017, 05:32 PM

Car Info: http://kiva.org/invitedby/brett4254
I'm starting to really hate this state
Old 04-18-2017, 05:38 PM
VIP Member

Originally Posted by UKn00b
This was introduced first of the year and is indeed the new process for cars with swaps like ours (on new stuff 08+ they can actually confirm ECU flash state themselves). If you look closely at the paperwork you were given back after failing for not having dealer paperwork confirming your ECU's flash state it should read somewhere "Do not issue smog certificate" what this means is once you have started down this rabbit hole you will be unable to conduct registration renewal and Smog at a standard station until you have been signed off by the REF!
Yeah that's pretty much what I figured. Good news(kind of) is that after swapping injectors and unmarrying my Cobb AP, I think I've actually found a dealership that will get me squared away ECU wise.

And if I read that correctly, you said that on 08+, the ref can indeed confirm the ECU's flash state?!? Meaning anyone with any sort of tune is screwed? Or do I have that wrong?
Old 04-18-2017, 05:38 PM
VIP Member

Originally Posted by Lowend
I'm starting to really hate this state
Amen.
Old 04-18-2017, 07:34 PM

Car Info: 1996 Impreza L
Originally Posted by EndlessWaltz RS
And if I read that correctly, you said that on 08+, the ref can indeed confirm the ECU's flash state?!? Meaning anyone with any sort of tune is screwed? Or do I have that wrong?
Yup that is correct, it's a pain I just went through the same stuff you're going through
Old 04-18-2017, 08:03 PM
VIP Member

Originally Posted by UKn00b
Yup that is correct, it's a pain I just went through the same stuff you're going through
Man that REALLY sucks! Sounds like you were successful though?

Also, for stuff older than 08, the ref has to rely on the dealership to varify the ECU flash status, correct? Hence the required invoice? Asking becaus once I achieve the ECU invoice, I'll still need to deal with the TGV issue before I can hit the ref again. This state is making it really hard to have any fun...