I need your help I-Club!!!

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2017, 05:17 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: 00 BRP RS LIC'd 01 EJ207 + non DCCD 6 Speed
I need your help I-Club!!!

I'm in a bit of a jam here with my 2000 2.5RS, and I'm in need of some help. Without making this too long-winded, the car has been swapped with an EJ207. Running it on a US spec 02 WRX ECU with a Cobb AP to take care of the TGV CEL and difference in injector size, and with a stock WRX downpipe and catback, it passes smog every time and has for years. However, I need it to pass a state ref inspection now.

This is where it gets more complicated because CA has just recently introduced new regulations regarding cars with engine swaps. They are now requiring that cars with engine swaps be taken to a dealership(whichever manufacturer the engine is made by) and get the dealership to provide an invoice stating that they have verified that the ECU is running the latest flash/rom/program/tune/whatever you want to call it, that is specifically for CA, in this case a 2002 WRX.

I haven't been able to find a dealership that even understands what the state means by "verifying that the PCM as they're referring to it, has the most recent flash/rom/tune/program specifically for CA". Either that or they just play stupid because they don't want to deal with something like this.

Unless I can find someone working at a dealership to hook me up with an invoice stating that my current ECU/PCM is running the most current flash/rom/program for CA, I understand that my US WRX ECU will need a reflash due to the current smog map I have on it. I'm willing to swap my injectors out to the smaller WRX ones so it'll at least be safe to drive if I can find a dealership that is willing to reflash the ECU to the most recent factory flash for CA and provide me with the necessary invoice. I'm also aware that the car will then be throwing a CEL due to the TGV's, so I'm hoping that whichever dealership I end up going to won't have an issue with that since what I need from them is regarding the ECU flash and has nothing to do with the TGV's, that's my problem to deal with.

There is no way, to my knowledge, the state ref can actually tell whether the ECU is running the flash/rom/program/tune that is being required by the state or not, hence the requiring of an invoice from a dealership. I've already been through the inspection once with the setup described above, and the only reason I didn't pass was because of an aftermarket uppipe without a cat(which sucks since Subaru did away with this cat anyway) but this was also before the new state regulations, so it is what it is. The car now has a stock catted uppipe on it too, so this ECU issue is literally the only thing keeping it from passing the inspection.

If anyone of you either works at a Subaru dealership, or knows someone who does, and you or they would be willing to help me out with this, I will be more than happy to work out some sort of compensation for your troubles. I'm a professional photographer and would be happy to do photos of your Scoob/whatever you're driving, or really any photo work you'd like. I can include a print or two as well if you so desire. My family also makes our own cabernet sauvignon and has been doing so for 45+ years now, so if wine is your thing we can definitely work something out there. Point is I want to thank whoever can help me with this situation as this is very important to me. I do NOT want to have to sell the car. If it comes to that, it will have to be sold out of state since it won't be able to be registered in CA anymore. Just like many of you, this car is my baby, and I really hate the thought of this being the reason I have to part with it.

So if anyone out there can help, or knows someone who can, please let me know!
Old 04-16-2017, 07:34 AM

Car Info: http://kiva.org/invitedby/brett4254
I've never heard of this regulation before.

If the swap is done cleanly, use a stock downpipe and I seriously doubt that any smog tech could tell if the engine is swapped.
Old 04-16-2017, 08:25 AM
VIP Member

Originally Posted by Lowend
I've never heard of this regulation before.

If the swap is done cleanly, use a stock downpipe and I seriously doubt that any smog tech could tell if the engine is swapped.
This is brand new, just implemented in the last 2 months or so.

The swap was done by LIC Motorsports and is as clean as can be. It has already passed smog at a standard smog station numerous times without issue, but now it needs to pass a state ref inspection which is different and more thorough. The problem is the car has already been to the state ref and didn't pass, again as stated above due to a non catted uppipe which has since been swapped out for a stock catted one. Because it's already been to the ref and didn't pass, I'm assuming it's now in the system as not having passed, so I don't think I can just take it to any smog station at this point. I could be wrong about that, I'm not sure. Maybe someone else that knows more about it can chime in about that.

Again to pass the ref inspection and get them to sign off on the swap, the only thing I need at this point is an invoice from a dealership confirming the ECU tune as the most current CA configuration. The downpipe is and always has been a catted stocker.

Last edited by EndlessWaltz RS; 04-16-2017 at 08:32 AM.
Old 04-16-2017, 10:51 PM

Car Info: 2005 Subaru Impreza STI
technically speaking, the dealer laptop can read the current CID (calibration identification number) of your ecu, and then with that CID number go into the subaru reflash program and it'll tell you if it's up to date or not, which if it's not the tech can reflash it to the latest update for you.
Old 04-17-2017, 06:44 AM
VIP Member

Originally Posted by Riceboi907
technically speaking, the dealer laptop can read the current CID (calibration identification number) of your ecu, and then with that CID number go into the subaru reflash program and it'll tell you if it's up to date or not, which if it's not the tech can reflash it to the latest update for you.
Right, I know it's possible. It's finding a dealership willing to do so that is proving to be problematic.
Old 04-17-2017, 07:09 AM
Churro Aficionado

Car Info: IG - @TEAMMOISTOFFICIAL
What dealers have you tried so far?

Have you gone in talking to the service dept or just called around?
Old 04-17-2017, 10:48 AM
VIP Member

Car Info: 1999 2.5RS / 2004 Forester X
Originally Posted by EndlessWaltz RS
Because it's already been to the ref and didn't pass, I'm assuming it's now in the system as not having passed, so I don't think I can just take it to any smog station at this point. I could be wrong about that, I'm not sure.
I guess my first question would be is why do you need it to pass state ref? Did you get pulled over & reffed or just looking to get your BAR sticker?

I've had my EJ205 swap done since 2005, I did get it BAR'd and it passed... BUT, since then I have literally never had a smog shop ask to see my BAR sticker or even question what ECU/motor I'm running. I doubt you'd have a problem going to a regular smog shop to pass it since going to state ref to get BAR'd is just something optional. If it was me id try to go smog like normal first before going through the trouble to get the most current rom on your ecu.
Old 04-17-2017, 01:53 PM
If in doubt, FLAT OUT

Car Info: 2010 Hatch, 2011 Sedan
Originally Posted by stg2lgcy00
I guess my first question would be is why do you need it to pass state ref? Did you get pulled over & reffed or just looking to get your BAR sticker?

I've had my EJ205 swap done since 2005, I did get it BAR'd and it passed... BUT, since then I have literally never had a smog shop ask to see my BAR sticker or even question what ECU/motor I'm running. I doubt you'd have a problem going to a regular smog shop to pass it since going to state ref to get BAR'd is just something optional. If it was me id try to go smog like normal first before going through the trouble to get the most current rom on your ecu.
What it sounds like he is saying is next time you go to smog you will probably run into this too. It is a new regulation.
Old 04-17-2017, 02:09 PM
VIP Member

Originally Posted by stupidchicken03
What dealers have you tried so far?

Have you gone in talking to the service dept or just called around?
Only tried a couple so far as time is short for me during business hours due to work, same reason I haven't been able to go in to talk to the people in the service department, only called around so far. Basically just starting this process.

I've tried Walnut Creek Subaru to no avail. Tried San Rafael Subaru(closest to me, and I'm going to see if I can actually get there while the service department is still open to talk to someone because it wasn't a flat out "no").

Is Stevens Creek Subaru still mod friendly like they were back in the day?
Old 04-17-2017, 02:15 PM
VIP Member

Yes, going after the BAR sticker to ensure having the ability to sell in CA, but also to increase the value of the car. I didn't get popped by the cops, thankfully.

But what im not sure about is since I've already been to the ref and did not pass, would I be able to go to a regular smog station and just get it smogged to get my registration finalized and get my sicker? I'm thinking no since it's in the system now as not having passed the ref, and like 04GG said, the new state regs would probably apply to the regular smog station too. They may not even want to touch it without a BAR sticker now. Might be worth a shot before swapping out injectors though as you mentioned.
Old 04-17-2017, 02:25 PM
VIP Member

Originally Posted by 04GG
What it sounds like he is saying is next time you go to smog you will probably run into this too. It is a new regulation.
I got that but I'm not clear on is this something required to pass state ref only or CA smog, or both?

I'd just call BAR and tell them you've read the new regulation and ask them if they will really check for the rom OR paperwork to get you your sticker. If you only have to deal with this at a test only station then I'd just visit the ref again and go for it since they only failed you last time for an uppipe.

edit: also do you have any link/resource for this new regulation, I'd like to read it to educate myself.

Last edited by stg2lgcy00; 04-17-2017 at 02:28 PM.
Old 04-17-2017, 02:28 PM
VIP Member

I got that but I'm not clear on is this something required to pass state ref only or CA smog, or both?

I'd just call BAR and tell them you've read the new regulation and ask them if they will really check for the rom OR paperwork to get you your sticker. If you only have to deal with this at a test only station then I'd just visit the ref again and go for it since they only failed you last time for an uppipe.
Unfortunately I've been back to the ref since not passing for the uppipe. That's how I found out about this new regulation. The ref said he'd test the car for me, but he can't pass me without the invoice verifying the correct rom.
Old 04-17-2017, 02:34 PM
VIP Member

edit: also do you have any link/resource for this new regulation, I'd like to read it to educate myself.
Actually I don't have a link or anything official besides the print out that the ref gave me, and his word. I even scheduled a second ref appointment after finding out about this regulation at a different ref station to talk to another ref about it, and as luck would have it I got the same guy.

Ill try to find something about it tonight, and I can email the ref that I've dealt with so far if I can't find anything. He's a nice guy and says he really wants to see my car pass because he "really digs it".
Old 04-17-2017, 02:38 PM
VIP Member

I'll post the print out he gave me when I get home tonight, but there isn't a ton of info there either.
Old 04-17-2017, 03:06 PM
VIP Member

Originally Posted by EndlessWaltz RS
Unfortunately I've been back to the ref since not passing for the uppipe. That's how I found out about this new regulation. The ref said he'd test the car for me, but he can't pass me without the invoice verifying the correct rom.
Fack, alright then that is teh suck Hopefully you can find someone at a dealership that'll get you a printout!

I wonder if this will affect people like myself and others who have already passed ref in the past and got the sticker?

Quick Reply: I need your help I-Club!!!