Humboldt County thread

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2007, 08:12 PM

Car Info: 2006 Evo IX SSL
driving my car or just tagging along, i wont be able to do it. I have to work @5pm sunday.

stiylin, i wanna see your ride up close man, it looks badass online
Old 02-10-2007, 09:03 PM

Car Info: I is not STiYLIN n e moar
Went out today to Kneeland, to Butler Valley rd to Maple Creek to Blue Lake. My car started over heating . I wasn't even pushing do to all the rain. I limped it home but every time it would go under load (up a hill) the temp would rise. I stopped in Arcata to get some oil and check the levels. Was only like a half quart low which is nothing. Overflow resivoir was overfilled a tad. I got home and checked the upper resivoir by the turbo and it was a half gallon shy . I filled it up there and burped the system for about 20 mins with the heater on. Went up Humboldt Hill two times just killing it after that and no sign of the temp needle movin. I was like wtf. Hope it's good now but not suprised if there is a bottom end build in my NEAR future. Called D and picked his brain. He is always a big help when I dunno what the crap. Also got an estimate for a motor

And turbosmurf, we will meet up soon and you can check my ride. I am just chilling tomorrow. Gonna change my oil and go take my hooptie for a spin to see if I can get it to heat up. What are you plans?
Old 02-11-2007, 12:40 PM

changed my oil and went back up to Kneeland. Car is fine. I will watch it for a while still.
Old 02-11-2007, 12:49 PM

Car Info: 2008 Red Alert Nissan Titan
strange...you're still on the stock radiator & fluid, right? hope it holds together through April!
Old 02-11-2007, 01:03 PM

Car Info: Fast
I am just chillin....I am going to go try and find some fluids for a tranny fluid swap. It is a very nice day here in Fortuna.

Going to try this:

1qt Redline lightweight shockproof
1qt Pennzoil Synchromesh
2qt Castrol HypoyC 80w-90
Old 02-11-2007, 03:11 PM

Originally Posted by Seranin
strange...you're still on the stock radiator & fluid, right? hope it holds together through April!
Yeah stock radiator and fluid. Here's what I think. Fluid was a tad low in the overflow at one time. I think when bending corners the tube at the bottom sucked up air. Got air bubbles in the system and that pushed coolant out into the overflow. I think that made it overheat under load. I didn't get it that hot but I am prepared for the worst. I am realistic about these things and if the motor goes it was meant to. Found out I came in under 20whp on my tune where I thought I had a strong motor too. Oh well.
Old 02-11-2007, 03:50 PM

I would go through the coolant system air bubble removal process (for lack of a better phrase ) I am about to do this this coming week, since I am putting in a new thermostat and radiator hoses.

In the bigger motor world, your head gaskets would generally go before the block. At that point, you could burn a piston or crack the block. You would know if something was seriously wrong tho.

As for the tune being under HP, what turbo are you running? It is possible you did not see your HP estimates because of our CA gas< or because comparative setups were on 93? I remember reading something about you putting on an FP Green....and from what I have read (and been told) most 20Gs and Greens are not that great of performers on pump gas.

I think you just WANT to put in a built block
Old 02-12-2007, 08:38 AM

Originally Posted by aboothman
I would go through the coolant system air bubble removal process (for lack of a better phrase ) I am about to do this this coming week, since I am putting in a new thermostat and radiator hoses.
I did, I "burped" the system and that is what seem to fix my overheating.

If I blow my head gasket I am not going to replace it w/o building the bottom end. Just the way I do things.

My setup was on 91 with stock turbo, but they were comparing it to other 91 oct '05 STi's.
Old 02-12-2007, 05:45 PM

Car Info: 05 STi White v2 8cm FP Red
I remember reading something about you putting on an FP Green....and from what I have read (and been told) most 20Gs and Greens are not that great of performers on pump gas.

I think you just WANT to put in a built block
His green setup is in his garage, not on the car. He is still stock turbo.

As for 20G's and Greens not being great performers on pump gas, I am surprised you have heard that.

The Green and 20G are pretty close HP-wise on pump 91 but will both do 290-310WHP on our dyno (depending on supporting mods). Maybe what you heard was that the Green does GREAT on race gas. Netting a good 350-380WHP (mod and octane dependant) and easily doing high to mid 11's in the 1/4 mile.

Our favorite "street turbos" here at the shop (for the 2.5L) are defiately 20G, Green and GT30R.
Old 02-12-2007, 06:09 PM

Originally Posted by blinguskahn
His green setup is in his garage, not on the car. He is still stock turbo.

As for 20G's and Greens not being great performers on pump gas, I am surprised you have heard that.

The Green and 20G are pretty close HP-wise on pump 91 but will both do 290-310WHP on our dyno (depending on supporting mods). Maybe what you heard was that the Green does GREAT on race gas. Netting a good 350-380WHP (mod and octane dependant) and easily doing high to mid 11's in the 1/4 mile.

Our favorite "street turbos" here at the shop (for the 2.5L) are defiately 20G, Green and GT30R.
hahaha, in the garage

What he said ^^^

March is getting closer D!
Old 02-12-2007, 06:10 PM

How's your back...

Wait, what back?
Old 02-12-2007, 06:31 PM

so what does a stage 2 STI see on your dyno, 270-280 at the wheels? Assuming that is close, that is what I meant. Qhat I meant by "not that great" was the HP increase is not huge for the expense of the turbo, injectors, front mount, intake, headers, ect. I definately did mean that the green rocks on pump gas, not that it and the 20g were NOT great.

I think am going to save up for a GT-30R tho. But for the next few years I will be happy with the vf-39. A GT-30 will need a 6 speed swap or PPGs (still haven't decided which) clutch, etc, etc. I will probably just blow it off so a friend and I can build a rally car out of a 99-01 RS or something
Old 02-12-2007, 06:32 PM

oh, I just went by Renner and they have Sunoco 104 for $6.92 a gallon. I am using Toulene that I got a killer price on, but I like to use enough Toulene or race gas to get me up aroun 93 octane. Helps with our crap Cali gas
Old 02-12-2007, 07:12 PM

so what does a stage 2 STI see on your dyno, 270-280 at the wheels? Assuming that is close, that is what I meant. Qhat I meant by "not that great" was the HP increase is not huge for the expense of the turbo, injectors, front mount, intake, headers, ect. I definately did mean that the green rocks on pump gas, not that it and the 20g were NOT great.

I think am going to save up for a GT-30R tho. But for the next few years I will be happy with the vf-39. A GT-30 will need a 6 speed swap or PPGs (still haven't decided which) clutch, etc, etc. I will probably just blow it off so a friend and I can build a rally car out of a 99-01 RS or something
Some can do 270 but usually we see anywhere from 250-260 on a tuned STi with a TBE. Also, its not the limitation of the turbo or octane per se, its the limitation of the crappy stock pistons. Our tuner likes cars to come off the dyno under their own power and with the fragile stock pistons, its not worth it to push a car too hard. If you want more power than 310 (green) then you really need octane or methanol. GT30R's dont do much better to cover the expense of the full rotated setup (all the parts you listed + 2 times as much money as a Green for a good 30R kit) for 320 WHP.
Old 02-12-2007, 07:20 PM

I guess that is why they call it a heartbreaker dyno

Ya I seriously doubt I will go bigger than a vf-39, at least until I can build a motor. If I am goign to bother I need to not worry about it being a daily driver.

Hey STiYLIN, I drove by your car today around 2:30-2:45. I revved my motor lol

Quick Reply: Humboldt County thread