How many miles can you go on a tank of E85?

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2011, 09:17 AM

Car Info: 2010 Impreza Premium Hatchback
Originally Posted by blacktraxgirl
whos this????
I used to go to BAP meets with Gordon, he had a 92 Vigor then, he sanded down the hood and painted it white. Its been a long time, so I dont' expect you to remember me lol
Old 06-17-2011, 09:56 AM

Car Info: 2004 WW Evo RS
Originally Posted by Gibz
If you read their post its their race car. And as for my car getting between 10-12 mpg on 91 is because of what I drive. When you drive a 500+hp car it's easy to get low mpg.
They said their race car get 2.5mpg, I'm close to 500whp running E85 and I get 15 to 18mpg. Gas milage has something to do with a tune also, have to be heavy footed to get 10mpg.
Old 06-17-2011, 09:58 AM

Car Info: 05 18g LGT Wagon | Former 08 LGT Spec.B
Originally Posted by SeaOfGreen
I'm guessing you have a built motor? Wait you got some small 18g that don't make much power, would not be smart to run that much power on a stock motor. Can't compare numbers and say I gained this much power when you jumped 3psi and bumped the timing. I'm saying a true way to compare E85 to 91oct would be to run same PSI and similar timing and compare numbers! When you posted your post it was like 70whp and 90wtq difference. Going to get people excited thinking they are going to get gains like that! If you have a built motor you can do alot, why not try 25psi? I would think that turbo could handle more boost.......
Stock motor. That much power also surprised me, and I became concerned for my motor after my tune, so I'm switching back to TMIC and UEL headers and will ask for a bit more conservative tune.

The biggest benefit of e85 is that it allows you to safely add more boost and timing on top of your CA91 tune. If you compare the max safe power with a 91 tune and the max safe power with an e85 tune, the large potential gains are there, and it depends on the turbo.

My stock vf46 turbo only gains 20whp with e85.
02-07 WRX TD04 is probably also only 10-20whp gain.
From what's I've read, vf39/vf52/16g's on LGT's gain 30-50whp on e85 depending on supporting mods.
HTA68's gain 70-80whp on e85 over ca91

There are several aspects to a tune that helps a car make more power. Tuners try to maximize each of those aspects while minimizing the amount of knock (ideally 0 knock) and maintaining a safe AFR.

Timing and Boost are just 2 aspects that can be increased safely while running e85. If you're looking for a comparison between CA91 and e85 that has equal boost and timing, then yes power levels will probably be alot closer, but whoever runs the same boost and timing on e85 as the ca91 tune is either an idiot (AFAIK) or has alot of money to waste... I guess you could do that for an e85 economy map.

Last edited by LGT Mark; 06-17-2011 at 10:01 AM.
Old 06-17-2011, 10:13 AM

I understand and know about E85. Yah you be dumb to keep same PSI and timing running E85! I was trying to compare the 2 with similar timing and same boost and check out the gains that way! It's good stuff for sure, I think it's best money you could invest if have the E85 local. Amazing how much power yah get from it!
Old 06-17-2011, 01:17 PM

Car Info: 2006 STi 2012 STi
Originally Posted by Subie*Chickie12
I used to go to BAP meets with Gordon, he had a 92 Vigor then, he sanded down the hood and painted it white. Its been a long time, so I dont' expect you to remember me lol
OMG.... i totally remember you!!! i just didnt know anything about who you were except youre a girl cause you ahve no info in your sig or your profile and sadly my psychic abilities are on the blitz
Old 06-17-2011, 01:27 PM

Car Info: 2018 Tacoma TRD PRO
I understand and know about E85. Yah you be dumb to keep same PSI and timing running E85! I was trying to compare the 2 with similar timing and same boost and check out the gains that way! It's good stuff for sure, I think it's best money you could invest if have the E85 local. Amazing how much power yah get from it!
Your going to BAM right?
Old 06-17-2011, 02:10 PM

Car Info: '11 White Shelby Cobra GT 500
You can drive my car like a granny and you won't see over 12 pretty much. Unless you are driving long distance on the freeway then you will see about 15-18. Even my manual says city driving is around 12.

They said their race car get 2.5mpg, I'm close to 500whp running E85 and I get 15 to 18mpg. Gas milage has something to do with a tune also, have to be heavy footed to get 10mpg.
Old 06-17-2011, 02:15 PM

Car Info: 05 18g LGT Wagon | Former 08 LGT Spec.B
what car is that?
Old 06-17-2011, 02:26 PM

If youre talking to me.. My Shelby GT500.
Old 06-17-2011, 02:30 PM

[QUOTE=Gibz;3084260]You can drive my car like a granny and you won't see over 12 pretty much. Unless you are driving long distance on the freeway then you will see about 15-18. Even my manual says city driving is around 12.[/QUOT
Only time I get good gas milage is on the highway, so I understand the 12mpg around town. Luckey you don't drive much, or you be broke! Your car is beautiful. I love the new looks, my first car was 91 mustang GT and I still to this day will never forget the exhaust note it had! The mustangs have one of the best sounding motors, one day I will own another.......
Old 06-17-2011, 02:33 PM

Originally Posted by LOL VTEC
Your going to BAM right?
Not sure to be honest, why you ask my friend? Looking to smoke the killer green.......
Old 06-17-2011, 02:40 PM

Yeah I hella love my car and don't mind paying for the gas the exhaust does sound hella nice in stock form for sure. I go through a tank in about 160 miles if that lol I always say I make it from station to station haha. You can't help but grin ear to ear in this car!

[QUOTE=SeaOfGreen;3084294]
Originally Posted by Gibz
You can drive my car like a granny and you won't see over 12 pretty much. Unless you are driving long distance on the freeway then you will see about 15-18. Even my manual says city driving is around 12.[/QUOT
Only time I get good gas milage is on the highway, so I understand the 12mpg around town. Luckey you don't drive much, or you be broke! Your car is beautiful. I love the new looks, my first car was 91 mustang GT and I still to this day will never forget the exhaust note it had! The mustangs have one of the best sounding motors, one day I will own another.......
Old 06-17-2011, 02:50 PM

Car Info: 2010 Impreza Premium Hatchback
Originally Posted by blacktraxgirl
OMG.... i totally remember you!!! i just didnt know anything about who you were except youre a girl cause you ahve no info in your sig or your profile and sadly my psychic abilities are on the blitz

My psychic abilities only work in the presense of chocolate lol
Old 06-17-2011, 03:01 PM
2006 Mt Hammy Car Show Winner

Car Info: Black 03 WRX, White 04 E46 M3
Originally Posted by VRT MBasile
So I was wondering something.

Flexfuel cars, if I'm understanding them correctly, automatically switch back and forth between engine mapping depending on the gas in the tank.

Is there any reason you can't do a 91octane map for an E85 built car? This thought came to me in regards to long road trips where E85 might not be available every 225 miles.
Flexfuel cars have an ethanol sensor in the return line. The sensor measures the ethanol content and makes the appropriate changes. You can do a 91 octane map on a E85 built car but you would have to switch maps yourself if you are running an Accessport.

The only true way to safely run E85 (unless you plan to measure the ethanol content every time you buy gas AKA Adam@LIC hehe ) is to run an EMS with a flexfuel sensor. ProEFI currently does this (well known in the Supra community, e46 m3, etc..) with their EMS and it is very impressive. The EMS will automatically make adjustments for you so the tune is spot on no matter what the ethanol content is. Check out this video

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a1CzmmMUy50
Old 06-17-2011, 05:52 PM

Car Info: 06 AW STi
Originally Posted by dan avoN7
Flexfuel cars have an ethanol sensor in the return line. The sensor measures the ethanol content and makes the appropriate changes. You can do a 91 octane map on a E85 built car but you would have to switch maps yourself if you are running an Accessport.

The only true way to safely run E85 (unless you plan to measure the ethanol content every time you buy gas AKA Adam@LIC hehe ) is to run an EMS with a flexfuel sensor. ProEFI currently does this (well known in the Supra community, e46 m3, etc..) with their EMS and it is very impressive. The EMS will automatically make adjustments for you so the tune is spot on no matter what the ethanol content is. Check out this video

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a1CzmmMUy50
That is awesome. Unfortunately its only available for Subaru SVX. I would definitely be more comfortable modding my car to e85 if this was available for STi's. I'll eventually go e85 regardless

Quick Reply: How many miles can you go on a tank of E85?