How loud is wastegate flutter?

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2011, 01:28 PM

Car Info: 2004 Silver WRX Wagon
How loud is wastegate flutter?

Hi Guys,

I installed a Perrin downpipe and PnP'ed crosspipe a month or two back on my WRX. Since then, I've been haunted by a whistling noise during low speed acceleration. To my untrained ear it sounds like maybe a very minor exhaust leak but I have sprayed every portion of the exhaust system I've touched with soapy water over and over, have seafoamed it, tried to feel around, etc etc etc to no avail, so if there is a leak I have been unable to find it. I've also noticed the sound really only occurs when the car is under load, with the clutch in it is greatly diminish/much less noticeable/non-existent.

So my question is: could it be wastegate flutter? The sound seems to be audible outside of the car (I can hear it pretty well when I'm driving or parking next to a wall or something) and it seems to be coming from the right side. Is WG flutter pretty audible outside of the car? If not, what else could it be?

Also, I'm running a Cobb stage 2 OTS, so target boost is 16.5psi +/- .7psi, and I've been hitting that right on the nose with third gear pulls.
Old 07-08-2011, 02:23 PM

wastegate flutter is like a queef thru some 90 year old puss lips. Might as well setup app w tuner
Old 07-08-2011, 02:30 PM
iClub Silver Vendor

Car Info: A Laptop
wastegate flutter is a quick oscillating noise.... like flutter . A whistling sound would not be wastegate flutter.

-- Ed
Old 07-08-2011, 02:33 PM
Da Brit.

Car Info: http://tinyurl.com/3vo4362
Originally Posted by slow04wrx
wastegate flutter is like a queef thru some 90 year old puss lips. Might as well setup app w tuner
holy *****
Old 07-08-2011, 02:35 PM

Car Info: 2004 Silver WRX Wagon
Originally Posted by EQ Tuning
wastegate flutter is a quick oscillating noise.... like flutter . A whistling sound would not be wastegate flutter.

-- Ed
Haha, well I don't know if I did the best job of describing it. It sounds a whole lot more like flutter than a consistent whistling noise. Also, it really only seems to come into play under load, I can't really replicate it in neutral. In my research I came across an old post of yours talking about how to pre-load the arm, but I haven't looked into actually doing it yet. Either my brake rotors or the DP installation are the most advanced mechanical work I've performed on the car, so I'm worried the more moving pieces (so to speak) I mess with the more I can break.

Would it make sense that the noise is audible outside of the car though?

Originally Posted by slow04wrx
Haha, gross. If its hitting target boost and I'm not breaking anything or setting any pieces up for failure later on I would hope I could get away with putting an actual tuning off for a little while longer. I have more pieces to put on before I go in for the real thing :P

Last edited by PArex; 07-08-2011 at 02:41 PM.
Old 07-08-2011, 02:43 PM
previously known as wrxBRAH

Car Info: 2004 FXT
when i loosened my wg arm too much it would make a constant rattling/fluttering sound. it was very low and i only noticed it because its my car. maybe its the same thing.