View Poll Results: How do you position your side-view mirrors?
Adjust mirrors outward so that the viewing angle just overlaps the rearview mirror (Figure 1 & 4)
42.55%
Adjust mirrors so that the viewing angle overlaps a portion of the back of the car (Figure 2 & 5)
48.94%
Adjust mirrors so that the viewing angle is in between options 1 and 2
8.51%
Voters: 47. You may not vote on this poll

How do you position your side-view mirrors?

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2010, 01:39 PM
cal

Car Info: 03
I position it so I barely see the side of my own car. I find it weird when I look at the side mirror of the car in front of me and I can see the driver. Isn't that what the rearview mirror is for? =\
Old 02-23-2010, 01:41 PM

Car Info: 04 psm wrx sedan
ive got one of those huge rearview mirrors, and i can actually see out of my front windows if i lean forward, so ive got my mirrors at 2 and 5, and i can see everything, no blind spots for me
Old 02-23-2010, 01:42 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: Broken Subarus
Years ago I started placing the lines in the bottom inside corners of my mirrors. I don't need to see my car, I'm in it. The rear view is for just that, rear view.
Old 02-23-2010, 02:28 PM

Car Info: silverthorne 2000 2.5rs
Figure 2 & 5, I find it a little disorienting if I can't see my car I guess. I do have a little concave mirror on the outside of the side view for the blind spot.
Old 02-23-2010, 02:37 PM
Churro Aficionado

Car Info: IG - @TEAMMOISTOFFICIAL
Originally Posted by LOL Vtec
#2 and #5 and looking over the shoulder ftw!
same here
Old 02-23-2010, 02:53 PM
Old School

Car Info: '99 RBP GM6
2 and 5 extreme... (Can't see much of my car at all) 1" blinds on the outside mirrors, and I look over my shoulder...
Old 02-23-2010, 03:05 PM

Car Info: 04 STi
My first car was a 1984 Subaru Wagon GL hand me down and it didn't even have a passenger side mirror. I asked my dad why he said it wasn't standard and you had to pay for it. Yeah, my dad was... er.. uhhh... thrifty.
Old 02-23-2010, 03:30 PM

Car Info: '15 LE STI, '06 WRX White Wheeled Wagon, '06 B9
Originally Posted by PaulSTI
My first day on the race track at Infineon, my instructor gave me some advice on my side mirrors that I follow to this day.

For your drivers side mirror, lean left until your head is against the window, and set the mirror so you can just see your rear quarter panel.

For your passenger side mirror, lean right, until your head is even with your rearview mirror (basically on the centerline of the car, then adjust your passenger side mirror until you can just see the quarter panel.

When you sit normally in your seat, your blind spot should be virtually gone. Driving like this took me a few weeks of getting used to on the freeway, but it has helped me avoid several "emergency swerve" incidents.

However, as my instructor warned, this is NOT a replacement for looking over your shoulder to check for cars and motorcycles (especially). So even though my mirrors are akin to 1 and 4 in the diagram, I still check over my shoulder before every lane change.
This is also the advice I follow. With shoulder checking of course
Old 02-23-2010, 03:35 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: nonplussed
I switched to 1&4 a while back. Took a little while to get used to. I also have convexed side views made by these guys - http://zoom-eng.com so I have zero blind spot.

http://66.163.168.225/babelfish/tran...t/z_subaru.htm

Last edited by ryball; 02-23-2010 at 03:58 PM.
Old 02-23-2010, 03:37 PM
Jin

Car Info: 05 CGM STi to be converted to RS
i've set up mine so i have no blind spots, so i guess like #1 and #4
Old 02-23-2010, 03:38 PM
Jin

Car Info: 05 CGM STi to be converted to RS
Originally Posted by paulsti
my first day on the race track at infineon, my instructor gave me some advice on my side mirrors that i follow to this day.

For your drivers side mirror, lean left until your head is against the window, and set the mirror so you can just see your rear quarter panel.

For your passenger side mirror, lean right, until your head is even with your rearview mirror (basically on the centerline of the car, then adjust your passenger side mirror until you can just see the quarter panel.

When you sit normally in your seat, your blind spot should be virtually gone. Driving like this took me a few weeks of getting used to on the freeway, but it has helped me avoid several "emergency swerve" incidents.

However, as my instructor warned, this is not a replacement for looking over your shoulder to check for cars and motorcycles (especially). So even though my mirrors are akin to 1 and 4 in the diagram, i still check over my shoulder before every lane change.
+1
Old 02-23-2010, 03:52 PM

Car Info: 05' WRX (Dirty Black)
Originally Posted by TurnWRX
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5KiC03_wVjc

Yah who needs rearview mirrors when there's no back window and this woman is smoking a lot of cars on the Nurburgring lol

Old 02-23-2010, 04:47 PM

Car Info: 2001 Impreza 2.2L
Originally Posted by PaulSTI
My first day on the race track at Infineon, my instructor gave me some advice on my side mirrors that I follow to this day.

However, as my instructor warned, this is NOT a replacement for looking over your shoulder to check for cars and motorcycles (especially). So even though my mirrors are akin to 1 and 4 in the diagram, I still check over my shoulder before every lane change.
I've always done this -- taught by my dad. AKA Fig 1 & 2.

I have a Broadway Convex Rear View mirror as well. This creates almost no blindspots (I still look behind to make sure).
Old 02-23-2010, 04:48 PM

Car Info: 2005 WRB Subaru Impreza WRX
#2 and #5 check blindspot manually lol
Old 02-23-2010, 05:11 PM

Car Info: 2002 WRX Sedan, 2004 Acura TL
1 + 4 for a few years now. I don't ever have to check blind spots and never have to take second guesses. The neat thing about it is that once the car starts leaving your side view mirrors, you'll see them with your peripheral vision so I know at all times where cars around me are without having to turn my head to check blind spots.

Quick Reply: How do you position your side-view mirrors?