HELP?? Bad starter or something else?

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2011, 09:41 PM

Car Info: 03 wrx
Exclamation HELP?? Bad starter or something else?

Whats up baic. My car wont start so I need some help.

I was out Friday night, parked on a hill. I had my wheels turned and put it in gear before i left. I dont usually leave my car in gear because I have a remote start. I get back to my car and hit the buttons for the remote start cause, like an idiot, I forgot my car was in gear. So it tries to crank over, doesn't start. I run to the car and get it and try to start it regularly and it doesn't even crank. Just a click. Tried it a dozen times and all I get is a single click. So I figured that I burned the starter out. I ended up using the hill to "push start" my car to drive it back home. Replaced the starter today and still the same thing when I try to start it. Just a click. Then I remember the CEl came on right after i started it on Friday night. Pulled a p0355. Crank position sensor malfunction.

Sorry for the long story. But what do you guys think? Bad replacement starter or is there another problem I'm missing? I don't think the crank sensor affects the starter, but I'm still pretty new to subarus. Any thoughts? TIA.

Also noticed that my radio won't turn on.. Don't know if its related or not, but it happened at the same time the car wouldn't turn over..
Old 12-12-2011, 10:05 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: Legacy GT
Have you tested your battery?
Old 12-12-2011, 10:12 PM

Haven't tested the battery, but I know a weak battery will give you a rapid sucession of click when you try to start the car. I'm just hearing one. And all the dash lights and dome light come on bright, so I didn't think it would be the battery. I have an optima yellow top less than a year old.
Old 12-12-2011, 11:27 PM

Car Info: $2000 hawkeye
Originally Posted by MarvZz

Also noticed that my radio won't turn on....
That's the first sign that your Voltage is low. Is there any way you can measure the voltage?

Last edited by 1JavaBlk_in_Sac; 12-12-2011 at 11:30 PM.
Old 12-13-2011, 06:05 AM

Originally Posted by 1JavaBlk_in_Sac
That's the first sign that your Voltage is low. Is there any way you can measure the voltage?
I'll have to try to borrow a volt meter. But the battery is not even a year old. The radio wouldn't turn on even of the car is running. Is that still related to low battery voltage?
Old 12-13-2011, 08:39 AM
iClub Silver Vendor

Car Info: 2005 LGT wagon
Where's the replacement starter from?
When started, what is the output voltage of the alternator?
What is the voltage drop between battery & starter when key is turned to "start"?
Assuming all voltages check out OK, starter is suspect.
Old 12-13-2011, 08:54 AM

Car Info: 05 wrx wagon, 90 celica alltrac, 66 mustang
A multi-meter is a handy thing to have around. They are fairly cheap nowadays. I say just buy one instead of borrowing one. Good luck bud.
Old 12-13-2011, 10:18 AM

Originally Posted by FW Motorsports
Where's the replacement starter from?
When started, what is the output voltage of the alternator?
What is the voltage drop between battery & starter when key is turned to "start"?
Assuming all voltages check out OK, starter is suspect.
Starter is from napa. I had them get me another which will be in tomorow. That way I can eliminate the starter of that one fails as well. I will try to do the tests tonight after work. Have to say its a little tough working in the dark and cold. Haha. I'll buy a multimeter tonight and check the battery.
Old 12-13-2011, 10:24 PM

I bought a multimeter today so i could check voltages. Battery voltage is at 12.6V and dropped to about 12.4V when I try to crank it. Still only hear the solenoid clicking. Couldn't get a voltage read out on the alternator since I couldn't get the car started. I also borrowed a battery load tester which determined my battery was okay. Started at 12.6V and dropped to 11.2V while loaded. Checked all the fuses under the hood and in the car behind the coin tray. The only fuse I found bad was the 150A for my sound system. I'm guessing that's why my stereo isn't working. The starter circuit should be independent of the stereo correct? Will replace the fuse and starter (again) and see what happens. I'm really hoping (and leaning toward) that I got a bad starter from the parts shop..
Old 12-13-2011, 10:29 PM

Car Info: $2000 hawkeye
Originally Posted by marvzz
150a
15a
Old 12-13-2011, 11:08 PM

Car Info: Smokin' Joe
have you tried jump starting the car with cables? When my battery died last week, I tested the battery at pep boys. The machine told me that the battery was good.. but I knew it wasn't. I had dome lights but the car wouldn't start and the starter wouldn't click. The guy at pep boys kept telling me I had a bad starter or alternator. I said, "Look, the car is here right now.. Don't tell me I have a bad starter when my car was driven here."

....... after about 3 hours of waiting.. I eventually got a new battery under warranty. One of the cells was just bad.
Old 12-14-2011, 08:07 AM

Originally Posted by 1JavaBlk_in_Sac
15a
Its 150a. I have amps and a display unit? Idk what its called. But it was all installed by the previous owner.

I will replace the fuse and try jump starting it.
Old 12-14-2011, 09:06 AM
iClub Silver Vendor

Car Info: 2005 LGT wagon
What brand starter?
If it isn't a Denso reman'ed unit, it's junk.
Old 12-16-2011, 03:13 PM

So I finally got my scoob up and running again. Turns out the fuse that I thought was just for the sound system is for the main pos. cable. Replaced the fuse and got my radio working and the car started. I was also able to refund the starter I got and put the OE back in. Thanks for everyones help. I guess admins can close this the thread.