Head-Lights...

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2003, 01:32 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: 2013 GR STi
I just saw a pic of a WRX with the HID foglights somewhere. I'm also really interested finding out more about that. I'm guessing it's just a replacement bulb.
Old 07-28-2003, 01:48 PM
@Stoptech

Car Info: 2002 WRX Wagon
where to start?

first, unless you have $2300 sitting around, you'll probably want to skip the authentic STi HID lights. instead, i recommend getting the EDM STi projector headlights and adding a CATZ HID kit to it. that way, you can have HID low AND high beams, which is key.

second, you do NOT want the JDM STi projectors. you will either have to lower the beams too much in order to prevent the lights from shining directly into oncoming traffic, or you will have to ghetto-rig them by baking them in an oven and hacking away at the internals in order to change the beam pattern of the projectors. you will then not be able to seal the lights up properly and will get condensation inside your $750 lights.

pay the extra one or two hundred bones to get the LHD STi projectors. subydude may still have them and he is selling them well below market price because he is a badass. trust me on this matter as i have the damn jay dee emm STi lights and I'm getting rid of them as soon as i can get my hands on some LHDs.

third, as far as the foglights are concerned, huck, you are correct about having to change to bulbs. unfortunately, you must also mount the ballast which basically creates a surge the initial surge of power these lights need to ignite.

fourth, with the HID headlights and HID fogs, you will be able to turn night into day, vaporize small varmints, and melt street signs, so for gods sake, BE CAREFUL!!!
Old 07-28-2003, 03:55 PM
03.23.67 - 06.14.13

on my sti, the low beams takes about about a second or two to stabilize.

making them into high beams TO FLASH might be a silly/useless/stupid idea.

now i know why there are NOT so many high beam with HIDS. althought i did see 1 maker that come with high beam HIDS as part of a 2 filament setup.
Old 07-28-2003, 04:42 PM
Former Sponsor

Car Info: Evo X, 04 STI, 335i, Fit
I'm currently running the JDM headlights with HIDs but have it wired so that it stays on when I click on high beam.

heres how the pattern looks :

http://www.daporkchop.com/nightpics/car8.jpg

and a front shot

http://www.daporkchop.com/nightpics/car7.jpg

Tommy
www.mpjperformance.com
Old 07-28-2003, 04:48 PM

Car Info: Not a subie!
So how did you do the wiring?

Originally posted by MPJ Performance
I'm currently running the JDM headlights with HIDs but have it wired so that it stays on when I click on high beam.
Old 07-28-2003, 06:52 PM
VIP Member

That's hot. Are those HID foglights also?

Originally posted by MPJ Performance

heres how the pattern looks :

http://www.daporkchop.com/nightpics/car8.jpg

and a front shot

http://www.daporkchop.com/nightpics/car7.jpg

Tommy
www.mpjperformance.com
Old 07-29-2003, 07:41 AM
VIP Member

I havent figured out everything about headlights yet but I know the following terms:

JDM Japan Domestic Market
EDM Europe Domestic Market (?)
RHD Right Hand Drive
LHD Left Hand Drive
HID High Intensity Discharge

Hope this helps a bit.
Old 07-29-2003, 11:05 AM
Former Sponsor

SUBYBUS - I have a prototype set of HID kit that included it's own relay, all it took was some work around and grounding to get the low beam to stay on.

huck - the fogs are not HID, I wish they were..=(

AWDCamera - JDM(RHD) headlights beam pattern shines higher on the left side so the beam patter would look like this
:---\___ where the EDM(LHD) beam has the opposite pattern : ___/----

All of the JDM housings are black. The HID version have a black chrome housing. They're not just JDM STi headlights, the regular JDM wrx has the lights also.

if you have the JDM projectors, since the bulbs are H1 for lowbeam and 9005 for highbeam, you won't be able to get the high/low beam kit. if you used your stock headlights, which I believe is a H7, you'll be able to use that kit.

hope this helps...

Tommy
www.mpjperformance.com
Old 07-29-2003, 01:50 PM
Former Sponsor

1. You can get the LHD, but personally I don't thin it's worth the extra money.

2. Yes I should of been more specific, when I said all JDM headlights have black housing, I was referring to the JDM style housings(projectors etc) and yes EDM does have the black housings.

3. All of the JDM/EDM housing have the glass covers, I believe you have it confused with the UK300 or the Prodrives.

Tommy
www.mpjperformance.com
Old 07-29-2003, 09:57 PM
VIP Member

Alrighty.... to confuse matters even more. Has anyone tried any of the High Performance Halogens in stock headlight fixtures? Like the Sylvania Silverstars? I'm curious how accurate this chart is:

If they are significantly better than stock bulbs I'd be down to spend the $40 and give them a shot. Something to improve my night vision until I can afford HIDs. And it looks like they will release a replacement Silverstar bulb for the stock foglights soon also.

Last edited by huck; 07-29-2003 at 10:01 PM.
Old 07-29-2003, 10:50 PM
@Stoptech

Car Info: 2002 WRX Wagon
okay, perhaps i should have been a bit less confusing with my acronyms. for all intensive purposes:
EDM (European Domestic Market) = LHD (Left Hand Drive), while
JDM (you really should know what that means) = RHD (japanese drive on the wrong side of the damn road)

huck, if the chart says the lights are that temperature, they probably are. i wouldn't be surprised if those color representations are way off though. keep in mind that temperature (and hence color of light) has nothing to do with brightness.

i'm pretty sure the silverstars are brighter than the stock bulbs, but there have been instances of people melting the stock housings and wire harnesses with bulbs that get too hot. whether or not those bulbs were silverstars (i kind of doubt it just because sylvania is actually a reputable company) i do not know.

and tommy, thanks for bringing up the point about not being able to use the high/low beam HID kits with the JDM headlights. i hadn't thought of that. but i'm not totally SOL, i can just wire the lights so that the low beam stays on when the halogen high beam comes on? is that correct?

oh and darren, every set of headlights from every car uses one or two different types of bulbs, 9003-9007 or Hx to Hxxx. perhaps someone else could elaborate as to which of these are sealed beam, which bulbs can contain both high and low beams, and which ones are in the commonly used subaru headlights. i know the stock WRX headlights are 9007 and the stock fogs are H3.

Quick Reply: Head-Lights...