Gun Fanatics, Need some advice, Want to build my first AR

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2012, 12:02 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: 02 Subaru WRX w/ JDM Spec C
Gun Fanatics, Need some advice, Want to build my first AR

So I am starting to look into build my gun collection. Instead of starting a noob thread on Calguns I thought I would ask questions on a community board I am more well known on.

I am part of Calguns have read a ton about what to do and what not to do, but now I am trying to decide whether to build my first AR or buy the pre-built ones a lot of companies are offering now.

Now I look at building an AR as like fixing up a suby, many different parts of companies, lots of quality and lots of junk out there.

So in my research, I have come up with the following:

Either purchase a pre-built one CA legal from Colt LE6940CA

Colt California Compliant Rifles

Or build one, which I have never done before and admitting a little hesitant.

But I would want, Spike's Tactical Lower with Magpul stock, LMT Upper, Surefire M900v, and other various tidbits. Any other suggestions would be wonderful TIA.

So am I on the right track here or am I completely noob and lost at this? Thanks again

Other guns on my list:

Glock 19, just so I can put rounds through it, and I think it is a great beginner gun for when I bring others to the range with me.
Springfield XD .40 subcompact
Springfield 1911 or Kimber not sure which model
Ruger 10/22 with hogue stock, match/fluted barrel
Old 07-17-2012, 12:18 PM

Car Info: Forester XTi
Originally Posted by nic3krnnamja83
So I am starting to look into build my gun collection. Instead of starting a noob thread on Calguns I thought I would ask questions on a community board I am more well known on.

I am part of Calguns have read a ton about what to do and what not to do, but now I am trying to decide whether to build my first AR or buy the pre-built ones a lot of companies are offering now.

Now I look at building an AR as like fixing up a suby, many different parts of companies, lots of quality and lots of junk out there.

So in my research, I have come up with the following:

Either purchase a pre-built one CA legal from Colt LE6940CA

Colt California Compliant Rifles

Or build one, which I have never done before and admitting a little hesitant.

But I would want, Spike's Tactical Lower with Magpul stock, LMT Upper, Surefire M900v, and other various tidbits. Any other suggestions would be wonderful TIA.

So am I on the right track here or am I completely noob and lost at this? Thanks again

Other guns on my list:

Glock 19, just so I can put rounds through it, and I think it is a great beginner gun for when I bring others to the range with me.
Springfield XD .40 subcompact
Springfield 1911 or Kimber not sure which model
Ruger 10/22 with hogue stock, match/fluted barrel
10/22 = get at big5 usualy has the best prices
AR = for your first pick up a S&W, somthing "cheep" you can learn how to break down and work on...

Then start making your own, I am working on 3 80% lowers now for myself. Great thing about 80% lowers, no reg, totaly legal.
Old 07-17-2012, 12:19 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: '02 WRB WRX Wagon
I'm in the same boat. I actually went shooting for the first time a month ago and loved it. My wife's coworker and her boyfriend are big into guns. I shot her XD9 service and XD9 subcompact and a .22 she had. Really liked the XD9 Service, not a big fan of the subcompact. I have big hands and that little gun wasn't very accomdating. I'll probably buy an XD9 Service as a first gun and build a collection from there, but I've been looking at the AR's too.

I also got to shoot trap with her Remington over/under which was really fun. It was too small for me so one of the guys at the range let me use his. Shooting a $3000 gun is a little scary to hope I don't drop the damn thing.
Old 07-17-2012, 12:33 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: 02 Subaru WRX w/ JDM Spec C
Originally Posted by Overbear
10/22 = get at big5 usualy has the best prices
AR = for your first pick up a S&W, somthing "cheep" you can learn how to break down and work on...

Then start making your own, I am working on 3 80% lowers now for myself. Great thing about 80% lowers, no reg, totaly legal.
Thanks for the great advice on buying cheap first. Yeah I was looking at the S&W M&P models as well.

Care to elaborate on the 80% lower? What does it lack that you don't need to register?
Old 07-17-2012, 12:41 PM

Car Info: 05 WRXie
i have personally built several AR's in my time and my .02 is this:
if you know exactly what you want: ie stock, barrel, sights, mussel brake, barrel twist, piston driven, 2stage trigger etc. then build your own.
if you want just a good slam bam rifle to take out get a pre-built one. most well stocked hunting shops will have a nice selection and can help you with this.
if you just plan on just "bolt-on" accessories ie optics 'lazer' (lol) for-grip. just get one off the shelf, and add the upgrades you want.
custom rifles tend to be way more expensive and typically more accurate but you have to know what you are doing and spend a lot. (look up les baer or wilson combat)
my adive for you sense you are new to the AR, platform get a pre-bult one(they are cheap say $600-900range: colt, springfield, rock river) and just buy the upgrades you want and have a gun smith install them for you; this will yield the most reliable rifle. then later on down the road, when you are sufficient with the AR's you can go ape-ish on a full custom build.
Old 07-17-2012, 12:48 PM

Car Info: 05 WRXie
Wink

Care to elaborate on the 80% lower? What does it lack that you don't need to register?
im assuming you are talking about the built button? if that's the case you need "a tool" to drop the magazine, besides that everything else is free game on the lower

- read that wrong disregard my comment -
lol my bad

Last edited by jblanco325; 07-17-2012 at 12:51 PM.
Old 07-17-2012, 12:55 PM
If in doubt, FLAT OUT

Car Info: 2010 Hatch, 2011 Sedan
Are you saying you don't own and haven't owned an AR? What exactly is it you want to do with it? Just target shoot? I wouldn't go crazy custom just to do that. I'd start with an off the shelf as others have said and get familiar with the format first. I picked up an M&P rifle not too long ago and it shoots great for the price.

You can go to a few different ranges in the bay and rent most of the guns you are talking about too, to find out what you actually like. I did that and ended up getting something different than what I had originally thought. I wanted the XD based on reviews and all, but after renting some different guns I didn't buy the XD because I liked something else better after shooting it.

Compact handguns are intended as backup or carry guns. Since you more or less aren't likely to be able to carry in the bay area (obviously depends on what you do for a living, LEO, etc...), there's really no reason to have a compact handgun. Less accurate, fewer rounds, more kick. Just get a full size.

Consider ammo too. If you plan to shoot often, you're going to want to look at how much it will cost you to shoot a few hundred rounds every week or two.

Last edited by 04GG; 07-17-2012 at 01:02 PM.
Old 07-17-2012, 01:03 PM

Thanks for the great advice on buying cheap first. Yeah I was looking at the S&W M&P models as well.

An 80% lower is one that is 80% finished. You buy them with no FFL needed (they are paperweights as far as the law is conserned), then you finish mill them (I have access to a mill, but you can use a jig and a drill/hand tools as well).

This is "construction of a firearm" and under both federal and state laws you are protected so long as you do not build them for sale to others, and must folow very specific rules in how you finish them.
Old 07-17-2012, 01:40 PM

Car Info: http://kiva.org/invitedby/brett4254
Personally - the way things are going in CA right now, I wouldn't buy/build an AR
the bullet button may be illegal in a few months, which would mean you had to breach-load the gun... which sucks.

If I was doing it now - I'd be looking at a KelTec SUB-16, Springfield M1A or a Ruger Mini-14
Because they are conventional stocks, they slip under the radar for the AWB

I have nothing against AR's, but they are on thin-ice in this state right now.
Old 07-17-2012, 01:51 PM
If in doubt, FLAT OUT

Originally Posted by Lowend
They sure are, and is sucks because it is for no good reason.

Last edited by 04GG; 07-17-2012 at 01:53 PM.
Old 07-17-2012, 02:02 PM

Originally Posted by Lowend
Personally - the way things are going in CA right now, I wouldn't buy/build an AR
the bullet button may be illegal in a few months, which would mean you had to breach-load the gun... which sucks.

If I was doing it now - I'd be looking at a KelTec SUB-16, Springfield M1A or a Ruger Mini-14
Because they are conventional stocks, they slip under the radar for the AWB

Quite the other way, buy as many as you can, because here is what will happen.

IF they ban the bullet button, it will defacto turn every firearm sold before the law date, a RAW. This means you can now take the bullet button off, and run any mags/parts you want on it.

Trust me, this wont pass, someone is going to wake up and go "oh crap we are about to make 1.2 million RAW's" and stop it.
Old 07-17-2012, 02:04 PM

Car Info: http://kiva.org/invitedby/brett4254
Hmm - maybe I need to buy a stripped lower and toss it in a drawer somewhere
Old 07-17-2012, 02:48 PM

Originally Posted by bluwrxwgn
I'm in the same boat. I actually went shooting for the first time a month ago and loved it. My wife's coworker and her boyfriend are big into guns. I shot her XD9 service and XD9 subcompact and a .22 she had. Really liked the XD9 Service, not a big fan of the subcompact. I have big hands and that little gun wasn't very accomdating. I'll probably buy an XD9 Service as a first gun and build a collection from there, but I've been looking at the AR's too.

Try out a Ruger SR9 at the range first. You might like it.
Old 07-17-2012, 02:57 PM
If in doubt, FLAT OUT

Originally Posted by Overbear
Quite the other way, buy as many as you can, because here is what will happen.

IF they ban the bullet button, it will defacto turn every firearm sold before the law date, a RAW. This means you can now take the bullet button off, and run any mags/parts you want on it.

Trust me, this wont pass, someone is going to wake up and go "oh crap we are about to make 1.2 million RAW's" and stop it.
Agreed. I doubt this thing will actually pass. If it does, they will be scrambling to pass another one to fix the problem this one creates...

Last edited by 04GG; 07-17-2012 at 03:00 PM.
Old 07-17-2012, 03:11 PM

Car Info: Hybwid Bugeye on corn juice :)
You can purchase completely built lowers that come w/ a bullet button via online, or a local gunshop like Metal Dog Tactical in San Jose. After that all you'd need to do is buy an upper

Personally, I'd stick with m1a style/bolt action rifles, handguns and shotguns.

Quick Reply: Gun Fanatics, Need some advice, Want to build my first AR