So badass, it slows the A10 down

Oh, and check this Subie out, angry Subaru engine is ANGRY

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rS61ZVmVHbA

And then the comment of lol:
is the LS1 swap into it conventional with AWD? or did u convert it to rwd
Old 02-09-2011, 08:28 PM
Friendly Neighborhood Ogre

Car Info: GUNATICS.COM
You guys are all wrong. Check this video out: (Worthless till about 1:30...)

Ive heard one in person, sounds like an F1 car.

Old 02-09-2011, 08:43 PM
General Pimpin'

Car Info: MY04 aspen wrx wagon.
Man... old school racers were balsy as hell.
Old 02-09-2011, 08:59 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: 2018 Golf R Variant
Originally Posted by brucelee

That's funny - I was just going to post up this one:

Took me a while to find it - and yeah there's music, but the sounds of the car are just surreal..

The engine was destined to be an F1 engine I thought, but then the project was cancelled and it was morphed into a road car. To me, it sounds like a Tie Fighter.
Old 02-09-2011, 09:11 PM
ish

Car Info: 2009 wrx & 2000 4runner
Originally Posted by Paul@dbtuned
This is The BEST sound:

haha, as soon as I read the title of this thread, this is exactly what I was thinking about. A lot of the others that have been posted are nice and all, but that is the best.
Old 02-09-2011, 10:59 PM

Car Info: 2011 WRX Hatchie
Originally Posted by brucelee

Same car I see around downtown Walnut Creek all the time?
Old 02-10-2011, 02:56 AM

Car Info: 04 Forester XT/96 Brighton Project
Hearing jets that I've launched out and of course the various fighters that come through my base. Sound of freedom that costs a buck 'o five. Unfortunately it does get old at times and sucks when you work midshift, sleep during the day, and they hit afterburners
Old 02-10-2011, 01:44 PM
250,000-mile Club President

Car Info: MBP 02 WRX wagon
Originally Posted by Lowend

Just can't beat a BRM V16

Actually, that is the H-16;
"For 1966, the engine regulations changed to permit 3.0 litre atmospheric (or 1.5 litre supercharged) engines. BRM refused Peter Berthon's and Aubrey Woods's proposal to build a V12, and instead built a strange engine, designed by Tony Rudd and Geoff Johnson, the H16 (BRM P75), which essentially used two flat-8 engines (derived from their 1.5 L V8) one above the other, with the crankshafts geared together.
(picture =A BRM H16 engine, the final, 1968, 64-valve incarnation of the design.)

BRM found the H16 (2.75 x 1.925 in, 69.85 x 48.895 mm) attractive because it was initially planned to share design elements and components with the successful 1.5 litre V8. While the engine was powerful, it was also heavy and unreliable - " (Wikipedia page on BRM)
Old 02-10-2011, 02:42 PM

Car Info: WRX
Crappy video, but its an amazing sound in person. This and the desmo. Even cooler when accompanied by a wheelie all the way up the hill.

Old 02-10-2011, 04:31 PM

Originally Posted by Lowend
after 33 years on the planet I've decided on the best sound ever

Just can't beat a BRM V16
Many years ago I was at Silverstone for an F1 Grand Prix and they had a couple of these lapping during the lunch break. They really did sound awesome. I wonder if a Bug. Veyron sounds similar in the flesh? Huge engine with lots of cylinders...
Old 02-10-2011, 04:51 PM

Car Info: 7 Series "Sport"
Originally Posted by Paul@dbtuned
This is The BEST sound:
Agreed. The Dillon has a solid second place in my book...

For cars - I like it simple and refined.. Even a 1993 Mercury Topaz can sound loud / mean...

(Volume way way way up)
Old 02-10-2011, 05:03 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: 2018 Golf R Variant
Originally Posted by psoper
Actually, that is the H-16;
"For 1966, the engine regulations changed to permit 3.0 litre atmospheric (or 1.5 litre supercharged) engines. BRM refused Peter Berthon's and Aubrey Woods's proposal to build a V12, and instead built a strange engine, designed by Tony Rudd and Geoff Johnson, the H16 (BRM P75), which essentially used two flat-8 engines (derived from their 1.5 L V8) one above the other, with the crankshafts geared together.
(picture =A BRM H16 engine, the final, 1968, 64-valve incarnation of the design.)

BRM found the H16 (2.75 x 1.925 in, 69.85 x 48.895 mm) attractive because it was initially planned to share design elements and components with the successful 1.5 litre V8. While the engine was powerful, it was also heavy and unreliable - " (Wikipedia page on BRM)
What's weird, is the H16 gets called the V16 all over the place and I believe one of the original videos posted - the sound is actually their V12 engine and not the H16 - something about that in the video comments. Looking at the engine it's clearly not a V-anything, so I do not understand the confusion.

It never raced in the final 64v form, but either way I wonder why they did not develop it the way initially planned with 6 cams instead of 8, counter-rotating cranks and other shared resources. The designs show that it would have been significantly smaller (with the central cam on either side actuating intake valves on the upper and lower sections simultaneously - instead they went with two cams, one for each).

Originally Posted by Lorry
Many years ago I was at Silverstone for an F1 Grand Prix and they had a couple of these lapping during the lunch break. They really did sound awesome. I wonder if a Bug. Veyron sounds similar in the flesh? Huge engine with lots of cylinders...
Thing is though, the H16 is a 3.0L engine that revs close to 12k (which is mind boggling given the complexity). The Veyron lump is what - 8.4L and piped through 4 turbos? I would imagine a completely different sound, but never heard either in person. On videos and over my home system, a Veyron sounds wicked - deep growl, but of course I have not heard it in person.
Old 02-11-2011, 09:56 AM

Originally Posted by wombatsauce
Thing is though, the H16 is a 3.0L engine that revs close to 12k (which is mind boggling given the complexity). The Veyron lump is what - 8.4L and piped through 4 turbos? I would imagine a completely different sound, but never heard either in person. On videos and over my home system, a Veyron sounds wicked - deep growl, but of course I have not heard it in person.
I'd also guess that the Veyron is closer to complying with noise regs. The BRMs didn't have to worry about noise or emissions.

The first 3 years I went to F1 races was back in the turbo years. When turbos were banned, the rpms went up and the exhausts got louder. Ferrari used to have a NA V12 which sounded like it was ripping the air apart.
Old 02-11-2011, 10:10 AM
VIP Member

Car Info: '02 WRB WRX Wagon
Ferrari F50GT1. Watched this video several years ago. I still remember the sound. Dang it, I couldn't get it to embed. But watch the video, it's awesome!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H0M73wYuD6k
Old 02-11-2011, 10:21 AM

Car Info: 2006 WRX
Originally Posted by wombatsauce
That's funny - I was just going to post up this one:

Took me a while to find it - and yeah there's music, but the sounds of the car are just surreal..

The engine was destined to be an F1 engine I thought, but then the project was cancelled and it was morphed into a road car. To me, it sounds like a Tie Fighter.
As far as straight piped carrera gt's go this is my favorite vid

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bxXb9...eature=related

Quick Reply: The Greatest sound on Earth