GPS vs Radar

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2009, 09:42 AM

Car Info: Teh Subie
GPS vs Radar

http://www.csmonitor.com/2009/0911/p02s01-usgn.html

Kid gets ticketed for speeding, parents can prove the LEO fails @ proper radar technique, Petaluma spends $15k to defend its officer rather than admit falibility.

Watch N discuss.
Old 09-18-2009, 10:13 AM

Car Info: RWD Camry
wow i 'd hate to have that rocky mtn system in my car
Old 09-18-2009, 10:47 AM

Car Info: 2005 WRB STi
only in pealuma.
Old 09-18-2009, 12:09 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: Broken Subarus
I was clocked one new years eve at 53 in a 35 from a dead stop. I went out and measured the distance. My car would have been able to accelerate from 0-60 in 2.8sec. I layed it all out and I was still found guilty. There's no justice.
Old 09-18-2009, 03:23 PM
Hurray, it's Ian!!

Car Info: 2002 MBP WRX Sedan
there's no justice when they need your monies.
Old 09-18-2009, 03:33 PM
General Pimpin'

Car Info: MY04 aspen wrx wagon.
Originally Posted by ipozestu
I was clocked one new years eve at 53 in a 35 from a dead stop. I went out and measured the distance. My car would have been able to accelerate from 0-60 in 2.8sec. I layed it all out and I was still found guilty. There's no justice.
Kinda like my very first ticket.

Instead of safely merging the officer sped up after his lane ended. In order to keep from hitting him I was forced on to the center divide over bushes and gravel. When I popped back down he pulled me over.

I kept telling him I had the right away. Dude got so pissed he had his head in my window and was literally spitting on my face yelling that I should ****ING take him to court then.

I just kept saying... why are you so angry? It wasn't my fault. I had a witness and everything. My folks told me to let it go and go to traffic school. Big mistake.

guilty until proven innocent.
Old 09-18-2009, 03:38 PM
General Pimpin'

oh and on topic.

I think it's reasonable doubt and they should drop the ticket. Beyond that I think they should have to pay the kids family for all court fees and their time involved in this.

Reasonable doubt got O.J. off.

They are saying they want to win the case so the technology isn't discredited and what not. Well the funny thing is, if they had just dropped the case no one would have heard about this. But because they are making a big deal out of it they have no made it public.

It's not about saving lives... sorry don't buy it. They don't want a case like this to create a way for people to get out of tickets. Waste of tax payer dollars. Spent $15k to make sure someone pays a $200 ticket. glad it's not my tax dollars.
Old 09-18-2009, 03:48 PM

Car Info: Forester XTi
Had a case when I was younger of a "too loud" ticket for booming a system. However it was me that was booming not the friend in front of me who got the ticket. We took pictures of his system, the speakers, brought in 3 experts on audio (two car competition winners and a home audio installer), plus pictures of MY system, DB meter tests of both systems...

Stupid judge still found him guilty, we were like WTF?
Old 09-18-2009, 03:55 PM
General Pimpin'

Originally Posted by Overbear
Had a case when I was younger of a "too loud" ticket for booming a system. However it was me that was booming not the friend in front of me who got the ticket. We took pictures of his system, the speakers, brought in 3 experts on audio (two car competition winners and a home audio installer), plus pictures of MY system, DB meter tests of both systems...

Stupid judge still found him guilty, we were like WTF?
I was sitting at a stop light and a CHP was sitting in front of me. Next to him was a jeep cherokee. We all had our windows down. The kid in the jeep was listening to some rap kinda loud... on his STOCK system. It was not loud at all. I mean I could hear the people in the car next to me talking. It was not much louder than that. The CHP looked at the kid and waved his finger at him and his head and said no no. The kid turned it down.

I was like... WTF? It is not your right to tell him to turn that down. He was NOT breaking any laws what so ever. All that does is reinforce many people's opinions of power hungry cops. I mean do you think that kid is gonna like the CHP any more because of that? Do you think he didn't turn it right back up after he drove away from the cop.

The law is clear as day and he was NOT breaking it. Pissed me off.
Old 09-18-2009, 05:37 PM

Car Info: 2015 WRX Limited
The kid may very well be innocent and if the police can't prove he's guilty then they should let him off. Like they said in the article there is a lot of room for personal error like locking onto the wrong person.

The GPS vs radar thing though is an easy win for radar, GPS is not accurate enough to give positioning or change in position that could give it a clear win over radar. Speed by doppler and speed by GPS are almost never the same, and to top it off GPS isn't reliable enough (eLoran pitch there).