Got Cited For CVC 21655.5(b)

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2008, 11:07 AM

Car Info: The Latest From WayneTech.
I have seen far too many accidents and had one of my father's friends loose his head (literally) from going at unsafe speeds.

Cyclists that ride the line around traffic **** me off to no end - I cannot tell you how many times I've switched lanes (after checking mirrors and blind spots) and almost struck some impatient rider who decided to go between lanes.

Plus my wife to be won't let me get a bike until I am older (like 50 or 60) for the same reasons (that and her biological father was an avid unsafe biker).

I mean my WRX entices me to go fast but I don't.
Old 10-23-2008, 11:07 AM

Car Info: 2005 WRX
Will definietely show up on the record. The Record will then be reflected onto the insurance and will raise your rates. Yes it will stay for 3 years unless one of the following happen.

1. You go to traffic school and get a certificate of completion and turn it into the court (Make sure its not within 18 months of another ticket) then the DMV will "mask" the point and it will not be visable in your public driving record, therefore the insurance company won't see it. But if you went to traffic school already with 18 months and go again before that time period. The Public record will show the offense and the time you went to traffic school.

2. Fight it and Win! No traffic school or point. (ticket assassin is my recommendation) Its not what you know, its what you can prove.

Hope this helps. Good Luck.
Old 10-23-2008, 11:15 AM

My ability to fight this ticket is VERY limited - It wasn't like I was forced into the HOV lane - I admit that I was in it of my own volition.

I intend on going to court to plead Nolo Contendre and hopefully get a cut in the fine - I will ask the Commissioner if it will show up to my insurance company, that being the case I will take traffic school.
Old 10-23-2008, 12:00 PM

Car Info: 13 Taco Double Cab 4x4/ 71 Datsun 510
I miss my old 900RR, fully Erion Racing equipped.. Not the mocked up Erion models through dealerships.

Last edited by Ballz; 10-23-2008 at 12:02 PM.
Old 10-23-2008, 12:07 PM

Hawt.
Old 10-23-2008, 12:27 PM

Car Info: 2005 WRX STi, 1993 240sx (going under knife soon)
Originally Posted by MyNikonLens
i am scared of motorcycles since they will entice you to speed and get crazy. scooters make you patient and enjoy the road more.
True, but if you exercise common sense, self-restraint and patience, you should do fine, along with extra caution. I'd actually be a little bored on a scooter.
Old 10-23-2008, 12:33 PM

And at least with a motorcycle if you need to get out of a jam fast (ie: avoid an accident or having a crazy ex-gf try to run you off the road) you can jam.

With a scooter, the idea is cool and all - but I just don't like how it looks with a person sitting on it and put putting down the road.

I feel the same way about scooters on the freeway as I do Segways - no, thanks.
Old 10-23-2008, 01:34 PM
banned

Car Info: 2007 WRX Limited | vf43'D
Originally Posted by jpdriver
Yes R-Dub it is a moving violation. Yes it will go on your record if you don't do the class. On average 1 point on your record will increase your insurance by 20% for the 3 years that it will be on your record.

jasajin.. it's your responsibility to get the certificate of completion to the court by your due date. Don't blame "the people from the class" for losing your paperwork. Also, they don't lower the fine for traffic school. In fact you will pay an administration fee for choosing the class option, typically $25-$40, on top of the fine. And my guess that the fine for using the diamond lane without the minimum number of occupants is going to be somewhere around $300. Just a guess.
I agree wholeheartedly, I got this ticket in 97 in SF getting on the bay bridge. I was lucky enough that I was forced into the HOV lane and the judge went with me on it. Its on YOU to get the documentation in no matter which way you go, and they explain that in the traffic school signup AND the paperwork from the traffic clerk. If you go to court you're wasting your time, just to traffic school, pay the fine, and be smarter about how you drive.

Last edited by Lboogie; 10-23-2008 at 01:37 PM.
Old 10-26-2008, 12:34 PM

Update:

A friend pointed out to me after seeing my citation that the officer neglected to put my age on the citation.

He put my birthdate and all other information on it - but left the age box blank.

He said that with an incomplete citation like that, if I were to fight it via mail I have a good chance of winning a dismissal (something to chord of 'if the officer wasn't observant enough to complete the citations, how could he be observant enough to see you in the HOV lane?')

I have heard this before and I have heard of people getting off for technical corrections such as this.

What are your guys's thoughts?
Old 10-26-2008, 12:49 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: $200,000 sports car
Originally Posted by R-Dub
Update:

A friend pointed out to me after seeing my citation that the officer neglected to put my age on the citation.

He put my birthdate and all other information on it - but left the age box blank.

He said that with an incomplete citation like that, if I were to fight it via mail I have a good chance of winning a dismissal (something to chord of 'if the officer wasn't observant enough to complete the citations, how could he be observant enough to see you in the HOV lane?')

I have heard this before and I have heard of people getting off for technical corrections such as this.

What are your guys's thoughts?
the advantage to "trial by written declaration" is that it creates more paperwork for the officer. if they do not submit their paperwork on time, it's a dismissal and your violation is thrown out.

if the officer does submit their paperwork, you have two options... pay the fine and do traffic school, or you get a guaranteed new court trial.
Old 10-26-2008, 01:33 PM

Car Info: 1999 RS Coupé- 1995 Mazda Miata -KTM 300
Originally Posted by ApexAssassin
True, but if you exercise common sense, self-restraint and patience, you should do fine, along with extra caution. I'd actually be a little bored on a scooter.
wear a moto helmet with a visor like i do...you wont get passed 80 lol
Old 10-26-2008, 02:21 PM
Friendly Neighborhood Ogre

Car Info: GUNATICS.COM
Originally Posted by STiyLish WRX
i got a ticket for driving in the car pool lane during rush hour and it was like a 350 dollar ticket, but no point.
My friend is the same. you cant get a point for a non-moving violation unless of course your little trip to the carpool lane was considered dangerous.
Old 10-26-2008, 02:55 PM

Originally Posted by RussB
the advantage to "trial by written declaration" is that it creates more paperwork for the officer. if they do not submit their paperwork on time, it's a dismissal and your violation is thrown out.

if the officer does submit their paperwork, you have two options... pay the fine and do traffic school, or you get a guaranteed new court trial.
Yeah that seems to be the general consensus but what I'm asking if there is any precedence with other's experiance in calling a technical mistake to get a ticket thrown out.
Old 12-02-2008, 10:53 PM

So I got my 'Courtesy Notice' today in the mail and on it proclaims "Request court appearance: Optional....Arraignment and Court Trial No other options are available to you and you are not eligible for a Trail by Declaration."

Is that even legal? Isn't there a law that states I can? Is Ticketassassin.com out of date? What gives?

Also: bail is set at $396.00, about as much as I was thinking it would be, but if I can't do a written trial I will just go to court and ask the judge for some leniency.
Old 12-02-2008, 11:03 PM
BanHammer™

Car Info: 2001 Forester RS2 SPEC-F
er.. I have no idea how they say you cannot do a trial by written declaration

Quick Reply: Got Cited For CVC 21655.5(b)