going to tahoe.. kumho MX + chains.. am i ok?

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2008, 07:39 PM

Car Info: 2006 evo IX
Originally Posted by kYLEMtnCRUZr
but when everyones stranded behind that icy hill, the AWD with chains will be the first one out, while everyone else has to spend the night in the car.
Im not saying dont carry chains, obviously there is the "Stage 3" road conditions where they require even awd cars to have chains (hence the signs for ALL cars to carry them), but it would be silly to use them in light snow/slush
Old 01-30-2008, 07:42 PM

Car Info: 1999 RS Coupé- 1995 Mazda Miata -KTM 300
yeah i plan on never using them.

you know me, i have to respond to every thread

<--- Troll at work
Old 01-31-2008, 02:59 AM

http://sfbay.craigslist.org/nby/pts/554093373.html

buy those, use them... sell them after for $125. $25 for M+S and without worrying putting on chains or summer tires in tahoe... money well spent.
Old 01-31-2008, 03:32 AM

Car Info: Steel Gray 2006 STi MBP 2012 Impreza Sport
here is a thread about putting chains on the suby

http://www.iwsti.com/forums/tires-wh...-pictures.html
Old 01-31-2008, 08:22 AM

Car Info: The ladies wild
I was up there a few weeks ago after the Sierras got pounded by a huge storm. They cleared the highways very fast. There are spots, like parking lots and driveways that may not be plowed or may have some ice, but you should be OK. Mind you I was in an A4 with bad tires and we had no problems at all. Just drive slow if you are unsure.
Old 01-31-2008, 10:05 AM

lol sorry but thats terrible advice. Tahoe is getting hit storm after storm right now, yes they usually clear the roads quickly, but if you are on the road or at the resort when a fast moving storm dumped 6-12" in a few hours, you are ****ed for at least a few hours until the plows get out. Not to mention you need to get in and out of the resort

M+S tires are a MUST imo, especially this year when there have been so many storms
Old 01-31-2008, 10:15 AM

Car Info: nothing
i think picking up a set of re92s really doesnt solve the problem. sure, the compound is a little better than mx's in the cold but they still SUCK. there is a huge difference between a quality tire such as pirelli m+s and toyo proxes4 and the stock potenzas. if anyone thinks an all season is just an all season theyre definitely wrong. and, while a set of re92s might get you through some snow if you drive carefully, truth is, on ice or deep snow theyre gonna be just as bad as the next tire. i have used my pirellis in -15 degree weather at tahoe where the roads were completely frozen and whipped my steering wheel left and right at around 30 mph to test it out and it gripped very confidently. meanwhile my friend on his re92s tried to powerslide a small 90degree turn and ended up plowing nose first into the snow bank on the corner. so, while i agree for light stuff re92s are a better bet than mx's, in heavier stuff i believe both of those choices are gonna leave you in approximately the same spot.
Old 01-31-2008, 10:30 AM

how much tread depth did he have on the re92s? Thats also pretty critical with snow driving

Ive road on pzero neros for the past 2 winters, so I agree, they are a great tire. this season im trying out the kuhmo ASX
Old 01-31-2008, 11:13 AM

Car Info: a prius, a miata, & 2 m3's
If you don't want to go through the hassle of putting new tires on your Suby, I recommend renting an SUV. It has M+S tires on it already and you don't have to deal with mounting and dismounting tires.

The used tire idea is OK but you shouldn't consider anything with less than 50% of tread ideally. Bald A/S tires are also not safe, not as bad as your MX's would have been, but still bad.

Sean
Old 01-31-2008, 11:27 AM

Originally Posted by ucbsti
how much tread depth did he have on the re92s? Thats also pretty critical with snow driving

Ive road on pzero neros for the past 2 winters, so I agree, they are a great tire. this season im trying out the kuhmo ASX
he has an 06 2.5i with around 16k on it, all super mild driving. so i think tread was fine. his dad owns a tire shop and he passed on a set of new blizzaks (retard) so im assuming the tires were in good shape. im definitely glad i have the pzeros though. theyre enough to handle agressive handling, but can get you through snow and rain as well.
Old 01-31-2008, 01:54 PM

agreed on the p zero, but still I think you need 2 sets if you really want to perform in the dry. I think best thing is set of ps2's, cover wet/dry to the max and a set of blizzaks for snow.
Old 01-31-2008, 03:37 PM

yea, ive tried running 2 sets of wheels, its just a pain plus whenever i needed cash i just ended up selling the set not in use. its hard to hold on to 2 sets when one is in the closet 75% of the time. i hear you on the ps2/blizzak combo. but some of the things i hate most about riding a winter tire is 1.)changing tires just to go up the mountain 2.) sloppy ride on the way to the hill (not saying its that sloppy, but when you swap out a set of summer perf. tires and head out on a long trip on some soft sidewalls, stuff can seem a bit sketchy til you get used to it.) for me, i think ill be rocking pirelli m+s or equivalent year round and just spring for a dedicated track tire or something when/if i need it.
Old 01-31-2008, 03:56 PM

lol I have 3 sets of rims/tires

all-seasons, summer tires, and r-comps for the track
Old 01-31-2008, 04:45 PM

Originally Posted by gmodc7
yea, ive tried running 2 sets of wheels, its just a pain plus whenever i needed cash i just ended up selling the set not in use. its hard to hold on to 2 sets when one is in the closet 75% of the time. i hear you on the ps2/blizzak combo. but some of the things i hate most about riding a winter tire is 1.)changing tires just to go up the mountain 2.) sloppy ride on the way to the hill (not saying its that sloppy, but when you swap out a set of summer perf. tires and head out on a long trip on some soft sidewalls, stuff can seem a bit sketchy til you get used to it.) for me, i think ill be rocking pirelli m+s or equivalent year round and just spring for a dedicated track tire or something when/if i need it.
I hear ya, I have a set of winter tires for my 97, and use to take the sti up before it was wrecked which I had blizzaks for.....the ride does suck on pavement.............this past weekend I went up with kuhmo hp4 m+s on the 97 (not enough prep to put snow tires on plus no steelies yet).....took unplowed omo ranch, was out during the days in blizzards etc.. not being able to see for 10 seconds at a time........etc...pretty bad conditions. The M+S did fine, and i didn't have the **** ride getting there so I could go 80~ once i got back to pavement. Tought choice but I think your best bet would be something like those kuhmos or the p zeros as mentioned before that are m+s

I'm pretty sure if the subie awd can't handle it with M+S the road aint going to be open.
Old 02-01-2008, 03:19 PM

Car Info: The ladies wild
Originally Posted by ucbsti
lol sorry but thats terrible advice. Tahoe is getting hit storm after storm right now, yes they usually clear the roads quickly, but if you are on the road or at the resort when a fast moving storm dumped 6-12" in a few hours, you are ****ed for at least a few hours until the plows get out. Not to mention you need to get in and out of the resort

M+S tires are a MUST imo, especially this year when there have been so many storms
I was heading back from the bay area last night and saw the warning on the highway message board...I didn't think they were getting hit that hard...

Quick Reply: going to tahoe.. kumho MX + chains.. am i ok?