The Gives-You-Chest-Hair Chopper, Bobber, or Otherwise Custom Motorcycles Thread

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2010, 03:52 PM

Car Info: with the blinkers on
Moar info?
Old 06-05-2010, 03:59 PM

Car Info: Hilux Double Cab with a Dishka on top
Originally Posted by fizay
Moar info?
http://www.magpul.com/aboutronin.html

Video:
Old 06-05-2010, 04:17 PM

Car Info: 02 WRX
Look how close the riders hands are to his knees in that first scene with the wheelie. That bike seems as if it were designed for someone at least a foot shorter than that guy.
Old 06-05-2010, 10:48 PM
General Pimpin'

Car Info: MY04 aspen wrx wagon.
One of the versions of my buddies bike.
http://lh6.ggpht.com/derolfrye/R_zqb...0/IMG_0030.JPG

If you are lovers of real bikes join www.jockyjournal.com
Old 06-05-2010, 11:02 PM

Car Info: 2002 Subaru WRX Sedan
http://thekneeslider.com/archives/20...stom-for-sale/

Sorry, I can't seem to get the swap thread out of my head...

Last edited by bwaynep; 06-05-2010 at 11:03 PM. Reason: too tired to get the pictures working...
Old 06-06-2010, 07:54 AM

Car Info: Reason
The whole sportbike vs cruiser argument is soooo tired. Sure, an R1 is going to be faster and more reliable, but will it have even half the style that can only come from someone's hard work when creating a custom bobber or similar? No way. Anyone can go to the yamaha dealer and get an off the shelf sportbike, and for 95% of the motorcycle riding population that would be an appropriate path to riding. Same thing applies for our cars. We can buy a brand new wrx for 26k, drop another 5 or 6k into a stg2+ setup plus maybe some decent suspension parts and better looking wheels and tires and be satisfied. Could you also spend a bit more and get an STi? Sure - but would you have the same pride in ownership and accomplishment for having made some good upgrade choices and feeling the difference each made? Nope. Get my drift?

All that said, showroom stock sportbikes with few exceptions are ugly and tacky.

/rant
Old 06-06-2010, 10:29 AM
Former Sponsor

Car Info: MY04 STi some call it a race car
Here is my 1967 Triumph TT special I bought and had built into a hardtail. The bike won numerous shows and it still sickens me I didn't keep it longer, young and dumb when I sold it

I sold it to James Hetfield of Mettallica, from my bike builder I still here its his favorite bike in his collection.

-Noah
Attached Thumbnails The Gives-You-Chest-Hair Chopper, Bobber, or Otherwise Custom Motorcycles Thread-67-chopp-1.jpg  
Old 06-06-2010, 10:55 AM

Car Info: 1999 RS Coupé- 1995 Mazda Miata -KTM 300
Clean Triumph Noah! keepin that oil rag handy? haha. Now James says "thats my Triumph-ahhhh" haha

Nice! Even has a matching chair!
Old 06-06-2010, 11:35 AM

No front brakes and a drum rear? Ballsy.
Old 06-06-2010, 11:46 AM

Triumphs are so damn versatile in terms of looks. Here's a flat-tracker.

Old 06-06-2010, 11:52 AM

Gonna make Noah really regret selling his TT :P

Old 06-06-2010, 12:01 PM

Car Info: 2002 WRX
Originally Posted by buzzword
The whole sportbike vs cruiser argument is soooo tired. Sure, an R1 is going to be faster and more reliable, but will it have even half the style that can only come from someone's hard work when creating a custom bobber or similar? No way. Anyone can go to the yamaha dealer and get an off the shelf sportbike, and for 95% of the motorcycle riding population that would be an appropriate path to riding. Same thing applies for our cars. We can buy a brand new wrx for 26k, drop another 5 or 6k into a stg2+ setup plus maybe some decent suspension parts and better looking wheels and tires and be satisfied. Could you also spend a bit more and get an STi? Sure - but would you have the same pride in ownership and accomplishment for having made some good upgrade choices and feeling the difference each made? Nope. Get my drift?

All that said, showroom stock sportbikes with few exceptions are ugly and tacky.

/rant
You're confusing facts with opinion.

Faster is a measurable fact.
More reliable is a measurable fact.

Style is completely up to personal opinion.

I ride the **** out of my 2 cylinder, 2 valve, v-twin, air cooled sport bike. I do all of my own maintenance. Even with a 100+ mile commute, I'd still take the twisty side route because I truly enjoy riding. That said, I'd rather see a custom bike on the road than at a show (which is pretty rare) and I don't mean custom as in a Harley with some chrome extra chrome bits. I don't think it would be too hard to believe that if it is a matter of pride, some people like myself take more pride in their mostly stock bikes than those who bought a custom bike simply because they wanted to buy the image. I see them now and then with their bikes trying to get that bad boy rebel image yet they have a Blackberry or iphone hanging off their pocket.

I posted about sportbikes so it would be noted in a thread about BAIC members "into sweeeet, sexy 2-wheeled machines" that being "into" a "sexy 2 wheeled machine" isn't just about aesthetically pleasing bobbers (which I do appreciate).

What is more played out and tired than the debate, though, is the ignorance that people hold in thinking that their way is the only one true way and all other ways are for the non 5 percenters. That **** is purely the result of a low IQ.

Two bikes, one is custom and one is not, and both can easily be called sexy by passionate riders.

Old 06-06-2010, 12:38 PM
General Pimpin'

Car Info: MY04 aspen wrx wagon.
Originally Posted by fizay
No front brakes and a drum rear? Ballsy.
Jockey shift as well.
Old 06-07-2010, 08:49 AM

Car Info: Reason
[QUOTE=odyss3y;2882998]You're confusing facts with opinion.

Faster is a measurable fact.
More reliable is a measurable fact.

Style is completely up to personal opinion.
I posted about sportbikes so it would be noted in a thread about BAIC members "into sweeeet, sexy 2-wheeled machines" that being "into" a "sexy 2 wheeled machine" isn't just about aesthetically pleasing bobbers (which I do appreciate).

What is more played out and tired than the debate, though, is the ignorance that people hold in thinking that their way is the only one true way and all other ways are for the non 5 percenters. That **** is purely the result of a low IQ.
QUOTE]

I think you misunderstand me a bit. I'm by no means suggesting that there isn't a time or a place for off the shelf bikes.

I've been all over the map with my motorcycles through the last 15 years - a few Honda CL scramblers, an XL250R dual sport, a CB750 cafe I built, an XS650 bobber, a heritage softail, and now I currently want a Buell XB-9L. All of them have been super fun, and equally interesting in one way or another.

All I was saying in my post is that I'd rather be on something that I put together and made my knuckles bleed a bit for. That doesn't mean I can't appreciate the speed and reliability of a brand new sport bike, it's just not my preference. To each their own, and quite frankly your insinuation that I was suggesting my opinion is somehow superior to that of anyone else, and that my IQ is low as a result, is somewhat offensive.

PS - iphone ownership and motorcycle appreciation are, in fact, mutually exclusive.

/hijack.
Old 06-07-2010, 09:05 AM

Car Info: 07 rs STi swapped Rotated BW S200SX-56
I'm in the same boat, have had all kinds of bikes over the years from metric to H-D. It is hard to be happy with one bike as each of them serve a different purpose. I wish I could afford to have 5 of them, but I can't. I think it would be great to build a bike one day and probably will. The way I see it, ride what suits an individuals needs and preference. If we all rode the same thing, motorcycles would be boring.

Quick Reply: The Gives-You-Chest-Hair Chopper, Bobber, or Otherwise Custom Motorcycles Thread