Gas mileage down the drain

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2005, 09:37 AM

Gas mileage down the drain

Recently i've noticed my gas mileage has gone down the drain. The last tank i filled up i've been keeping my eye on the meter and i've been taking it real easy on the accelerator. I drive mostly in the city nowadays since i quit my job but i think on my last tank i got something like 200-220 miles. I used to get probably 250 or a little more. Right now its at 190 and i'm at the second mark from E.

My mods are cobb stg. 2, turboback, forge bov. I also noticed when driving i hear a ticking sound with the windows up, coming from the drivers sound. It sound fuel related but i'm not too sure. Any ideas?
Old 04-21-2005, 09:42 AM
VIP Member

Car Info: 2018 Forester XT Touring (Dark Gray Metallic)
I found that when I shift early and at lower RPMs it get crappy gas mileage. But when I rev higher through the RPM range between shifts I get better gas mileage. Maybe it has something to do with the AWD, smoother transitions, and less drivetrain lash.

Just a thought...I have nothing to back it up. Maybe somedays I drive smoother than others. Who knows. I drive hard pretty regularly and get around 220-230 miles.
Old 04-21-2005, 09:43 AM

Car Info: 03 Cummins, 99 miata, 91 v8 miata, 90 spec miata
I only get about 220 and that includes a combination of city and freeway (marjority city though).
I've got a Helix catback, MBC, and removed intake silencer.

Anyone know any mods/tricks to give me better gas mileage?
Old 04-21-2005, 09:57 AM

damn and i thought i was the only one. I searched on nasioc and clubwrx and there are alot of ppl who report like 300+ if i remember right. If revving higher yields better gas mileage then thats really good news! haha
Old 04-21-2005, 10:01 AM
VIP Member

Car Info: 2018 Forester XT Touring (Dark Gray Metallic)
Originally Posted by sjscooby
If revving higher yields better gas mileage then thats really good news! haha
Insert standard disclaimer here: your mileage may vary...
Old 04-21-2005, 10:05 AM
General Pimpin'

Car Info: MY04 aspen wrx wagon.
If I'm not mistaken, california uses different gas in the summer. I notice my mileage goes down every summer as a result. Maybe they've started using it?

They used to anyways...but I haven't worked in that industry for some years now.

Also possibly that something is off and you need to fix something or get a retune.
Old 04-21-2005, 10:09 AM
UTR Member

Car Info: 93 Impreza L
damn and i thought i was the only one. I searched on nasioc and clubwrx and there are alot of ppl who report like 300+ if i remember right. If revving higher yields better gas mileage then thats really good news! haha
i get 300+, its pretty much all hwy though.
Old 04-21-2005, 10:22 AM

Car Info: 96 Chevy Impala SS, 06 GMC 2500HD (former 02 WRX)
You really need to do the math here....saying you get xxx miles/tank is sorta meaningless

And yes, you'll get better MPG on non-CA gas. Can't tell you how much on the WRX, but can tell you that on my Impala it is about 15% better. Bunch of us in Impalas did a caravan to a national event in Tulsa OK a few summers ago (BTW, Tulsa BLOWS!). The exact tank that we all got off of CA gas (eastern AZ....western AZ uses CA gas) we ALL saw our MPG jump by 15%. Stayed higher the whole trip until we got back on CA gas, at which point it dropped right back .

Oh yeah, the car runs a good bit better on non-CA gas. I'm sure y'all are in shock over that one
Old 04-21-2005, 10:27 AM
VIP Member

Car Info: 2013 GR STi
Recently i've noticed my gas mileage has gone down the drain. The last tank i filled up i've been keeping my eye on the meter and i've been taking it real easy on the accelerator. I drive mostly in the city nowadays since i quit my job but i think on my last tank i got something like 200-220 miles. I used to get probably 250 or a little more. Right now its at 190 and i'm at the second mark from E.

My mods are cobb stg. 2, turboback, forge bov. I also noticed when driving i hear a ticking sound with the windows up, coming from the drivers sound. It sound fuel related but i'm not too sure. Any ideas?
It's cuz you're doing city driving now. I lost about 5 mpg when I stopped doing a freeway commute.
Old 04-21-2005, 10:51 AM
VIP Member

Car Info: 2003 PSM STi
True....stop and go, traffic lights and stop signs will all suck your gas tank dry pretty quickly, even if you are taking it easy.

-Ted
Old 04-21-2005, 11:10 AM

Car Info: GDA
is there evidence that CA gas gets us lower MPG's than out of state ones?

this is the first time i've heard of such a claim.
Old 04-21-2005, 11:16 AM

Car Info: 96 Chevy Impala SS, 06 GMC 2500HD (former 02 WRX)
CA gas has, by law, 10% ethanol in it. While it does have a marginal enviromental benefit for OLD cars (i.e. pre O2 sensors....doesn't help much on our cars) it also has a lower energy content per gallon. Thus, you burn more fuel for the same energy.

Both the Governator and Davis before him have tried to get an EPA waiver to get rid of this ethanol requirement. No dice. Did I mention that corn growers (who have a very vested interest in mandatory ethanol requirements, as ethanol is made from corn) have a very strong lobbying interest in DC????
Old 04-21-2005, 01:35 PM
the artist formerly known as mcdrama

Car Info: WRBP 2015 WRX Premium/CVT
I drive 50 miles round trip M-F from San Jose to Scotts valley, get on at HWY-280 get to 4th gear, until I get almost to hamilton ave on hwy-17 I am in 4th then go to 5th.
Then from lexington to SV I am in mostly 4th, but will downshift to 3rd for passing the slow people. yes up and down the hill, same thing reverse.
I average about 275 miles per 12-13 gallons of 91 octane.

I have an 04 wagon, rims and tires(215/45/17) and an uppipe.

edit: we will see how my mileage goes now that I have an EcuTek reflash. ;x

Last edited by mattsn0w; 04-21-2005 at 01:47 PM.
Old 04-21-2005, 01:38 PM

Car Info: 72 Vespa with curb feelers
I noticed my mileage took a ****e recently, too. My gas light normally comes on right around 300 miles, and the last 2 tanks it's been around 240..... WTF?

I plan to reset the 'puter and see if it helps.
Old 04-21-2005, 01:39 PM
General Pimpin'

Car Info: MY04 aspen wrx wagon.
Originally Posted by mcdrama
I drive 50 miles round trip M-F from San Jose to Scotts valley, get on at HWY-280 get to 4th gear, until I get almost to hamilton ave on hwy-17 I am in 4th then go to 5th.
Then from lexington to SV I am in mostly 4th, but will downshift to 3rd for passing the slow people. yes up and down the hill, same thing reverse.
I average about 275 miles per 12-13 gallons of 91 octane.

I have an 04 wagon, rims and tires(215/45/17) and an uppipe.

surprise I haven't run into you ont he highway yet going over 17.

Quick Reply: Gas mileage down the drain