FW Motorsports

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2012, 06:27 PM
iClub Silver Vendor

Car Info: 2005 LGT wagon
Not us.
And if it had been us, we'd own up to this **** up.
Old 03-01-2012, 07:10 PM
iClub Silver Vendor

Car Info: A Laptop
Originally Posted by buzzword
Ok spill the beans, Paul - who did the work that led to this fiasco?
Full disclosure:

This is one of our customer's cars that we built back in 2009. This was a stage 1 engine and was originally built to run a stock VF39 turbo. This engine was built using the original crank and rods that had miles on them at the time.

Later the customer upgraded to run the VF39 on E85 and ran it that way for abou a year. Eventually, the customer wanted even more power and decided to upgrade the turbo to a Blouch Dom 3.0XTR and run it on E85 as well.

The customer was informed that the engine was never built to support this kind of power so there was no guarantee on how long it would hold up. The car was tuned semi-conservatively at about 23psi on E85, making about 420whp. It ran this way for about 6-7 months until one day the customer got on it and one of the original OEM rods let go.

Until this point, the car ran very well and had no major issues. This was simply too much power for the aged stock rods to handle and eventually one let go. This is certainly unfortunate for the customer, but ultimately, he was well informed and made the decision to run this power level. The known weak point of the engine was exactly what failed as expected.

This is why we don't recommend using the OEM rods for anything at or over 400whp. Our stage 2 engines with Manley I-Beam rods are meant for that kind of power range.

I hope this clears up any mysteries as we honestly have nothing to hide. I hope the customer is happy with his rebuild at FW and wish him and his car all the best in the future.

Thanks
-- Ed

Last edited by EQ Tuning; 03-01-2012 at 09:44 PM.
Old 03-01-2012, 10:04 PM

Car Info: Un Carrito Que Hace Vrooom Phsss!
Wow drama....
Old 03-02-2012, 07:12 AM
iClub Silver Vendor

Car Info: 2005 LGT wagon
Originally Posted by CaliSuby
Wow drama....
No drama...just cool pictures of death and carnage.
When mechanical creations fail, the results can be spectacular.
Old 03-02-2012, 09:17 AM

Who is at fault here? Builder? Or customers for being warned on what could happen? Was it built in incorrectly an sloppy?
Old 03-02-2012, 09:28 AM

Car Info: 2006 STI
Who is at fault here? Builder? Or customers for being warned on what could happen? Was it built in incorrectly an sloppy?
If your told that you will risk getting electrocuted if you stick a fork/metal object in a wall plug outlet and you stick the fork in the wall plug outlet and get shocked, is that the wall plugs fault, PG&E, Or your own for not listening to what you were told?
Old 03-02-2012, 09:40 AM

I can see your point.. But why built/tune a future blown engine? I see both sides... Shoulda builder walk away from stuff like this even if the customer wants it that way? Or should a builder say " no I won't waste my time building an engine that won't run your power safely"?
Old 03-02-2012, 10:06 AM
iClub Silver Vendor

I can see your point.. But why built/tune a future blown engine? I see both sides... Shoulda builder walk away from stuff like this even if the customer wants it that way? Or should a builder say " no I won't waste my time building an engine that won't run your power safely"?
Read again... The engine was originally built to run the stock turbo and at that point in time the customer had no plans of running anywhere near 400whp and that's why he went with the stage 1 option. The engine ran great for a few years at the rated power level with no issues and would still be running well to this day.

Ultimately it is the customer's car and his decision to take the risk to go over the rated power levels. Sometimes stock rods can hold this kind of power, but sometimes they cannot. Being well informed, he took the risk and I tuned the car to try to get it to last while still meeting the customer's power goals. It lasted 6 months this way and eventually the weak link failed.

I don't believe anyone is at fault in this kind of situation. There was nothing mechanically wrong with the build. A weak part simply failed from excessive power levels. It was a risk the customer understood and accepted.

Thanks
-- Ed

Last edited by EQ Tuning; 03-02-2012 at 10:18 AM.
Old 03-02-2012, 10:32 AM
previously known as wrxBRAH

Car Info: 2004 FXT
lol luckily builders arent divas and like benjamins.
Old 03-02-2012, 11:43 AM

I know it all came down to him since you told hi
Wat could happen, that being said... I'm not blaming you. Every business is ran differently. My uncle owns a body shop in Arizona, he gives a life time warranty on anything that gets sprayed there.. He gets people who want cheap paint jobs... That won't last long and he can't give a warranty on. He just simply refuses to paint their cars. Cause when that paint starts to peel, it's his company's that did the job at the end of day. Is there a reason why he didn't return to you?
Old 03-02-2012, 11:54 AM
iClub Silver Vendor

I know it all came down to him since you told hi
Wat could happen, that being said... I'm not blaming you. Every business is ran differently. My uncle owns a body shop in Arizona, he gives a life time warranty on anything that gets sprayed there.. He gets people who want cheap paint jobs... That won't last long and he can't give a warranty on. He just simply refuses to paint their cars. Cause when that paint starts to peel, it's his company's that did the job at the end of day. Is there a reason why he didn't return to you?
Painting cars and modifying for power are VERY different things. There are always inherent risks in modifying cars for these kinds of power levels. We always warranty our work and builds when they are used within the rated power range.

I'm not sure why the customer chose to go to another shop, but that's none of my business as long as he happy in the end. That's all that really matters.

Thanks
-- Ed
Old 03-02-2012, 01:03 PM
banned

Car Info: 500+ whp Club
Sucks this happened. But since its being pulled apart. Sounds like the customer is ok with it and can at least pay for the tear down.

Next is you can't control a human. They are more dangerous to an engine then the engine itself. And engines are controlled explosions. Humans in the car world will always want more, or will always want to push for more power. Only some learn you cant have it all. And its going to cost $$ to play in this world. And even having the best parts and builders in the world is still no guaranty. Even on my build I still have my stuff to deal with. And I have all name brand quality parts.

Last edited by old.guy; 03-02-2012 at 01:08 PM.
Old 03-02-2012, 02:02 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: Broken Subarus
"Peach Hat!"
Old 03-02-2012, 02:39 PM

Car Info: 90 325is
I could only find a drawing with very basic dimentions. Anyone know where to find a more detailed one? Better yet, anyone in sac have a .50 round i can borrow. I guessed on most of the stuff.
Name:  2012-03-02_14-32-33_167.jpg
Views: 76
Size:  48.5 KB
Old 03-02-2012, 02:44 PM

Wow that a HUGE bullet!

Quick Reply: FW Motorsports