To FMIC, or not? VF48 turbo.

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2011, 11:35 AM

Car Info: FR-S + WRB Bugeye.
If I ever go FM on my next Subie I've always wanted to get this hood scoop from ARC

http://www.rallysportdirect.com/ARC-...-STI-2004-2005

Not in the carbon form though. FRP and painted. I like the functionality.
Old 06-13-2011, 11:48 AM

Car Info: 2016 FXT
Originally Posted by snowflow
any smaller fmic options? and who knows anything about this fitting with a jdm bumper beam?
If you can find one the SSAC ones are awesome. I got mine for 280 brand new with all hardware and even T bolt clamps. Pretty crazy. Performed just as good as APS or Perrin or any of those ones. I even ran it with my 30r and it held pressure flawlessly. No one else I know with it ever had any issues with theirs either. The other ebay ones are junk from what I hear though.

The Perrin core is actually pretty big in person, not HUGE but its big. I could not justify spending 1000+ on any of the other big named ones when I could get a brand new kit for less than 300 dollars back then. But that was like 3-4 years ago when I picked up those tires from you haha.

I ran mine without a bumper beam though.
Old 06-13-2011, 11:52 AM

Car Info: 2018 Tacoma TRD PRO
I'm doing this.. Clean and sexy

http://www.kstech.biz/servlet/the-25...I-scoop/Detail
Old 06-13-2011, 11:52 AM

Car Info: 2004 WW Evo RS
Yes sir, 08+ turbo. I was thinking of getting a cf one and painting it actually. Weight is not a big issue though since it's not a race-car or anything and having one that's not aluminum will help reduce those pesky dings I always get from effin oak trees. lol

Thanks, this is what I hear from more knowledgeable people. A fmic runs very well with little lag if tuned properly. I like instant response and all, but I bet living down in a hot so-cal area in stop and go traffic is really gonna make a tmic no worse than a fmic. Even perrin's website has some dynocharts of a stock sti with their fmic and it has some nice gains with almost no lag increase.

The perrin one is fairly small looking. Doesn't even take up the whole grille and is stealthy black.
Ya, I understand about getting the hot air out, but I do have pretty good heat-shielding under the hood...as well as heat wrapped headers/uppipe and phenolic spacers to keep the manifold cooler. I really don't like the idea of having open mesh letting water dump into my engine bay.

Would be cool to reverse the manifold if it's not too difficult to have shorter piping.

Not doing this for performance gains so spending more money on another tmic is out of the question as I don't need to spend so much on a new one then a new tune just for a little performance gain.

I may get a bigger turbo, one day, so maybe I should get this fmic. Hmmm
Your car will be fine with TMIC, there are 1,000's of Subaru's running TMiC in much hotter weather then you will be in!
Old 06-13-2011, 11:53 AM

Car Info: 07 rs STi swapped Rotated BW S200SX-56
How much can you get that perrin for? They are like $1400 new. Fmic have their advantages, I just hated having to swap stuff out for smog. Main reason I ditched mine. New spearco's are down to $850 new from summit. I've seen them for $400-500 used. When it gets right down to it though, its your car, buy whats right for you.

I am running a slightly bigger turbo on my tmic, love to quick spool and near stock look. Post up how your car turns out after you get it painted and tuned.
Old 06-13-2011, 11:55 AM

Car Info: Miata and dirtbikes
i heard theres fans or something for the TMIC to help heatsoak? Never seen em though
Old 06-13-2011, 12:00 PM

Car Info: WRX
Originally Posted by NorCalDC5
If you can find one the SSAC ones are awesome. I got mine for 280 brand new with all hardware and even T bolt clamps. Pretty crazy. Performed just as good as APS or Perrin or any of those ones. I even ran it with my 30r and it held pressure flawlessly. No one else I know with it ever had any issues with theirs either. The other ebay ones are junk from what I hear though.

The Perrin core is actually pretty big in person, not HUGE but its big. I could not justify spending 1000+ on any of the other big named ones when I could get a brand new kit for less than 300 dollars back then. But that was like 3-4 years ago when I picked up those tires from you haha.

I ran mine without a bumper beam though.
I think I read that the Gimmick motorsports one is the same as the SSAC and has a lifetime warranty. I could get one from IIR with black thermal coated core and tubing, t-bolts and all for around $500 shipped. I was just considering the Perrin because my friend was selling one. That was a long time ago! damn, time flies!

Originally Posted by Alliedforces86
If I ever go FM on my next Subie I've always wanted to get this hood scoop from ARC

http://www.rallysportdirect.com/ARC-...-STI-2004-2005

Not in the carbon form though. FRP and painted. I like the functionality.
That's a sick vent, but I couldn't see myself with it. Form and function ftw. haha

Originally Posted by LOL VTEC
I do love the ks tech, rlyrcr had it on his but I don't like the idea of water being able to go in through the mesh. Is it a big deal? I have no problem getting a cf, frp, or oem scoopless hood since i'm getting paint done anyway.

Originally Posted by SeaOfGreen
Your car will be fine with TMIC, there are 1,000's of Subaru's running TMiC in much hotter weather then you will be in!
Ya, I know that tmic is plenty efficient for my needs, but i'm doing this for the prospect of being scoopless rather than improved performance. But I don't want to lose performance by doing this either. lol
Old 06-13-2011, 12:11 PM

Car Info: 02 WRX Wagon
Tune it and you won't lose performance.

It wont take a huge front mount to cool the charge from a relatively small turbo like vf-48.

Forget JDM bumper beams. Have someone weld a u-shaped piece of 4130 chromoly onto a couple of brackets you can bolt to the stock front bumper beam holes. This is easy to make and will probably protect your FMIC pretty good. Mine saved me from totaling my car.
Old 06-13-2011, 12:18 PM

Originally Posted by Gancherov
Tune it and you won't lose performance.

It wont take a huge front mount to cool the charge from a relatively small turbo like vf-48.

Forget JDM bumper beams. Have someone weld a u-shaped piece of 4130 chromoly onto a couple of brackets you can bolt to the stock front bumper beam holes. This is easy to make and will probably protect your FMIC pretty good. Mine saved me from totaling my car.
You mean like have a bumper beam going in front of the fmic instead of behind? I can weld that up myself actually.

I've always been worried about running the car without a bumper beam. Lots of people have been saying it greatly reduces safety.

What happened to your car if you don't me asking?
Old 06-13-2011, 12:47 PM

Car Info: 02 WRX Wagon
understeer may be a crime, but oversteer is expensive. I smashed it into a mountain. This is the only damage after impacting a 3ft diameter boulder, going up and over it, onto the semi-vertical part of the mountain side, and then sliding back down to the road ~10ft. I was going about 30-35mph at impact and this is all the damage.

before:

a few weeks ago:

here's my build thread:
https://www.i-club.com/forums/ongoing-projects-31/gancherovs-wagon-build-231998/
Old 06-13-2011, 01:40 PM

Car Info: 2004 WW Evo RS
I think I read that the Gimmick motorsports one is the same as the SSAC and has a lifetime warranty. I could get one from IIR with black thermal coated core and tubing, t-bolts and all for around $500 shipped. I was just considering the Perrin because my friend was selling one. That was a long time ago! damn, time flies!

That's a sick vent, but I couldn't see myself with it. Form and function ftw. haha

I do love the ks tech, rlyrcr had it on his but I don't like the idea of water being able to go in through the mesh. Is it a big deal? I have no problem getting a cf, frp, or oem scoopless hood since i'm getting paint done anyway.

Ya, I know that tmic is plenty efficient for my needs, but i'm doing this for the prospect of being scoopless rather than improved performance. But I don't want to lose performance by doing this either. lol
So this whole post is because you want to have no hood scoop? Seems like alot of thinking and money over a hood scoop.......
Old 06-13-2011, 03:02 PM

Car Info: 04 psm wrx sedan
Just remembered that they don't make scoopless hoods in wrb becuase they never made wrb 2.5i...I'd go carbon painted
Old 06-13-2011, 03:33 PM

Car Info: Reason
You mean like have a bumper beam going in front of the fmic instead of behind? I can weld that up myself actually.

I've always been worried about running the car without a bumper beam. Lots of people have been saying it greatly reduces safety.

What happened to your car if you don't me asking?
Bumper beams are something that USDOT insists upon in order to lessen the chances of significant damage in a slow speed collision. High speed ones are a different story.

To answer your question about the reverse intake manifold setups, there is a lot of custom fab that has to be done to make it right. This is particularly true if you want to retain your A/C. Furthermore, your DBW throttle body will either need to be replaced with a cable-driven one, or you'll have to lengthen the DBW harness. There are lots of threads about this on the various forums. Bottom line, not cheap. However you can reduce the IC piping by 3-4 feet if done wisely.

Also, have you looked into the APS FMIC product offering? The 525 model bolts up in place of the bumper beam and you won't have to modify a beam to fit or skip out on it altogether. Also the mounting system makes fabricating a mount for the core unnecessary.

As far as smog is concerned, it should not be an issue so long as you can retain a stock BPV, at least for smog test purposes. What usually fails frontmount setups at smog is a non-CARB-legal CAI or short ram. I don't know which CARB legal ones work with the bulk of frontmount setups, but as far as the BAR laws concerning smog, they state that you can run any type of intercooler on any engine that comes equipped with an intercooler. That is almost verbatim.

As an aside, I wonder how much if any airflow would go over a tmic if one of those KS Tech deletes was used with one. I'd love to go scoopless but I'll probably wait a while to go FMIC until such a point if and when I decide to get a bigger turbo and supporting mods.
Old 06-13-2011, 03:36 PM

Originally Posted by SeaOfGreen
So this whole post is because you want to have no hood scoop? Seems like alot of thinking and money over a hood scoop.......
Ya pretty much. Says so in the first line of the OP.
Just making my car be the way I envision it to be.

I always think of it as Legos for grownups. Don't know which is more expensive though.

Originally Posted by slugrx
Just remembered that they don't make scoopless hoods in wrb becuase they never made wrb 2.5i...I'd go carbon painted
Yes, this is true, but i'm having the car painted soon, so any hood works. I'm thinking a new color. Something that is less attention-grabbing than wrb. Was considering a charcoal or midnight blue. Or if I did a MBP people may think my car is just a n/a 07 impreza.
Old 06-13-2011, 03:45 PM

Originally Posted by buzzword
Bumper beams are something that USDOT insists upon in order to lessen the chances of significant damage in a slow speed collision. High speed ones are a different story.

To answer your question about the reverse intake manifold setups, there is a lot of custom fab that has to be done to make it right. This is particularly true if you want to retain your A/C. Furthermore, your DBW throttle body will either need to be replaced with a cable-driven one, or you'll have to lengthen the DBW harness. There are lots of threads about this on the various forums. Bottom line, not cheap. However you can reduce the IC piping by 3-4 feet if done wisely.

Also, have you looked into the APS FMIC product offering? The 525 model bolts up in place of the bumper beam and you won't have to modify a beam to fit or skip out on it altogether. Also the mounting system makes fabricating a mount for the core unnecessary.

As far as smog is concerned, it should not be an issue so long as you can retain a stock BPV, at least for smog test purposes. What usually fails frontmount setups at smog is a non-CARB-legal CAI or short ram. I don't know which CARB legal ones work with the bulk of frontmount setups, but as far as the BAR laws concerning smog, they state that you can run any type of intercooler on any engine that comes equipped with an intercooler. That is almost verbatim.

As an aside, I wonder how much if any airflow would go over a tmic if one of those KS Tech deletes was used with one. I'd love to go scoopless but I'll probably wait a while to go FMIC until such a point if and when I decide to get a bigger turbo and supporting mods.
Ya, i've read about the a/c thing. Pretty easy to retain it, but the DBW is the catch...so that's unlikely. I wish I could run the reverse manifold as I have no problem with taking of the manifold now.

Lucky for me, I never have to smog the car...unless i'm reffed somewhere...which I hopefully won't since i'm going with a quieter look and sound.

Pretty sure i'm gonna do this. Trying to keep my options in the most affordable range.

Quick Reply: To FMIC, or not? VF48 turbo.