The Flu Shot: "There and back."

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2014, 12:43 PM

Car Info: Whatever The Lot Provides ;)
The Flu Shot: "There and back."

Well, all I can say is at least I ain't dead. Well, that and internet at home's finally back up.

F the flu shot, F the Flu, and F Pneumonia.

I'm stuck at home for a couple more days of R&R and I'll be skipping a few meets to fully heal up.

To those that knew, thanks for the support. The last couple of weeks sucked.

Last edited by TheFozz; 02-02-2014 at 07:17 PM.
Old 02-03-2014, 01:51 PM
aka FlukeWRX

Car Info: '03 WRX WRB Sedan
Did you get the flu shot and got sick or did you not get the flu shot and got sick?
Old 02-03-2014, 03:06 PM

Car Info: 2005 Forester XT
^ what he said...
Old 02-03-2014, 03:17 PM
If in doubt, FLAT OUT

Car Info: 2010 Hatch, 2011 Sedan
Glad you are OK now
Old 02-03-2014, 08:34 PM

Car Info: Whatever The Lot Provides ;)
Originally Posted by flukewrx
Did you get the flu shot and got sick or did you not get the flu shot and got sick?
2-1/2 week deal here.

Got flu shot. Reason was b/c of 6mo/old as well as people around me getting sick and 1 workplace I visited someone got H1N1 and another got pneumonia.

Got the shot, was held for observation for 15mins b/c two years ago I got really sick right after. Doctor thought things were fine so was released. Thought I was good to go the next day but 2 days later had full-on flu. Sick all weekend and Monday (called out sick).

Went back to work, 3 days later things weren't right so worked Friday, crashed out all weekend, full on f-me flu symptoms. Pushed through Monday, felt like crap still, body aches, upset stomach, etc all getting worse. Worked until about lunch the next day, Tuesday when I felt like a load of bricks had hit me, full on shaking, dizziness, and worst of all (yes worse than the stomach cramps) was my skin literally felt like someone was stabbing me with 1000's of razors all over but no skin legions or rash. The shop Owner I was visiting made it apparent he was worried about me and he'd call his friend, my Father, if I didn't go get checked immediately. (You all know I'm stubborn and hold pain in, right? )

So taking the advise I immediately went to hospital.

Within 3 minutes I was set aside in a different space, 4 vials of blood drawn, vitals taken, and told I had pneumonia. Had to stay there, etc-etc. Convinced them to let me at least return my work vehicle, tell work and family what was going on and would return. They gave me until 4pm to report back to the hospital for a "recheck".

Their "recheck" became a multi-day stay.

Joy-Joy. I never want to go through that ever again in my life. I lost 19lbs in water and muscle loss. Best part, getting to talk to a cute lady from the CDC about my situation. Was told "NEVER get the flu shot EVER AGAIN. It's too risky for you for some reason.".

Umm, yeppers, No chit lady.

Luckily the Baby, Wife, and Lil'One had their shots weeks before and have had no ill effects. Hardest part was seeing the look on my Parent's, Wife's, and Daughter's faces while I was suffering.

Last edited by TheFozz; 02-03-2014 at 08:44 PM.
Old 02-04-2014, 09:27 AM
If in doubt, FLAT OUT

I don't usually get flu shots. This year was pretty bad though and I still didn't get the shot. I usually just feel crappy for a few days and then back to normal. Haven't had all out flu this season though. Definitely sounds like you are not a good candidate for the shot, however that means you will still get the flu...
Old 02-04-2014, 09:47 AM
Loves the Anime

Car Info: STWODUCES
the flu shot only prevents you from getting the last flu (so i've been told). This new one that is going on is crazy pretty much hitting the younger folks. next year should be even younger. Keep you hands clean and keep up with the vitimins and rest.
Old 02-04-2014, 10:05 AM
If in doubt, FLAT OUT

Originally Posted by mistaanime
the flu shot only prevents you from getting the last flu (so i've been told). This new one that is going on is crazy pretty much hitting the younger folks. next year should be even younger. Keep you hands clean and keep up with the vitimins and rest.
Flu shot is supposed to be for what is going around in the current season (that's why the shot shows up after people are already getting sick, has to be manufactured). As it passes through people, it changes, so the effectiveness of the shot becomes less effective over time and varies from person to person anyway. H1N1 is a particularly nasty variant and they said the number of people dying from it in the bay area is growing.

Santa Clara County flu deaths increase to 10; 149 confirmed in California | abc7news.com
Old 02-04-2014, 10:11 AM
Loves the Anime

Car Info: STWODUCES
Originally Posted by 04GG
Flu shot is supposed to be for what is going around in the current season (that's why the shot shows up after people are already getting sick, has to be manufactured). As it passes through people, it changes, so the effectiveness of the shot becomes less effective over time and varies from person to person anyway. H1N1 is a particularly nasty variant and they said the number of people dying from it in the bay area is growing.

Santa Clara County flu deaths increase to 10; 149 confirmed in California | abc7news.com
learning something new everyday. another quesiton is how this flu evolved with H1N1 in it? its crazy how many deaths in result to this flu so far.
Old 02-04-2014, 11:29 AM
Dirty Purple Ukrainian

Car Info: SUBARU BROOM
about 7 years ago i got a flu shot and the same thing happend to me. i never went back for it, and i have not gotten sick since. i did talk to a nurse and she said that they have egg whites in the shot, a normal person can eat egg whites and have no side effect, but if it is injected in to your blood stream, you end up having an allergic reaction. i dont know what they put in the shots now but i stay away from them.
Old 02-04-2014, 11:42 AM

Car Info: Miata and dirtbikes
Haven't gotten a flue shot in probably 4-5 years. I only got sick once last year
Old 02-04-2014, 12:59 PM

Car Info: amber lamps/fire engine/06 STi
No flu shots since after watching I am legend lol
Old 02-04-2014, 01:26 PM

Car Info: 2011 WRX hatch gray
Originally Posted by TheFozz
Got the shot.... got really sick
I have the same problem because everytime I get the flu shot I get sick for several days (not as bad as you), and everytime I DON'T get the flu shot I DON'T get sick.

My kids get flu shots when they go into the doc and at most they seem to just get a mild fever for a day.

But all my Dr friends SWEAR by the flu shot and point to people who died of the H1N1 because they didn't get a flu shot (although this correlation can never be proven). They get mad at people who mention the thought of not getting the flu shot. I get the feeling that the medical field treats everyone as one mass statistic and preaches greatest good practices, and too bad for you if you are the statistical unfortunate that deviates from the majority effect.
Old 02-04-2014, 01:31 PM

Car Info: Hilux Double Cab with a Dishka on top
Anybody want to be a guinea pig for some flu shot testing and make $3k?

Would you get the flu for $3K? Gov't seeks volunteers for influenza research - NY Daily News

Why get the flu for free when you can get paid right?
Old 02-04-2014, 01:38 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: .

even if she faked it!

Last edited by Rescuer; 02-04-2014 at 01:41 PM.

Quick Reply: The Flu Shot: "There and back."