Finally! Changing oil on the STI

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2015, 08:00 AM
VIP Member

Car Info: .
Originally Posted by El Wray
Aside from the 30K/60K or if it's around a major mod install, I've been getting the oil changed at the dealer since day 1. (Dealer being Capitol Subaru.) I literally live about 1/4 mile away so it makes it easy. I go every 3K like clockwork. Strangely enough the past couple of years the sticker they put on the windshield started saying 5K and the past year or so it's actually been 7K. 7K? Really??
my forester manual says to change the synthetic oil in 7500 intervals
Old 03-12-2015, 08:17 AM

Car Info: Forester XTi
Originally Posted by Rescuer
Still doesn't hurt anything to do it every 3000. It really is harmless to change it more often, hell back when I ran high power VW engines it was every 500-1000 depending on what we were doing. Some summers it would be every other weekend.
Old 03-12-2015, 09:36 AM
VIP Member

Car Info: .
Originally Posted by Overbear
Still doesn't hurt anything to do it every 3000. It really is harmless to change it more often, hell back when I ran high power VW engines it was every 500-1000 depending on what we were doing. Some summers it would be every other weekend.
i didn't say anything about being harmless or benefits O_O

was just stating my manuals interval change.

i change mine at about 3K, and add more as needed since I check it every week
Old 03-12-2015, 11:00 AM
I survived the Mod Challenge and all I got was this lousy title

Car Info: ...zeh car drives you!
Unless it is actually required, I don't understood the mentality of super frequently oil changes. Personally, I rather not flush money down the toiler if my oil labs consistently tell me I can safely run greater than 3,000 mile intervals.

But to each their own...it must be nice to have the time and money to change your oil every 500 miles
Old 03-12-2015, 11:14 AM

Car Info: sti hatchoo!
i've done some backtracking, subaru sent letters to 2011 STI/WRX owners that oil intervals are now at 7500 miles/7.5 months.

https://www.subaru.com/content/downl...11SchedFed.pdf

it is noted that at 7500 mile oil change intervals, it's in ideal conditions. For harsher conditions, it's recommended at every 3750 miles.

for me, 5K intervals work since 1.) i don't plan on driving like when i was in my 20s. 2.) this car is only for my work commute (i have a crotch rocket if i feel like flying thru the mountains) 3.) i doubt bay area conditions are considered as harsh. an oil change is about $30 (fairly cheap for maintenance). with my 02 WRX, i've done 5K mile intervals and it ran great! so i'm sticking to what i know.

Last edited by spidey5o; 03-12-2015 at 11:27 AM.
Old 03-12-2015, 01:15 PM

Originally Posted by LxJLthr
Unless it is actually required, I don't understood the mentality of super frequently oil changes. Personally, I rather not flush money down the toiler if my oil labs consistently tell me I can safely run greater than 3,000 mile intervals.

But to each their own...it must be nice to have the time and money to change your oil every 500 miles
As I have said before, if another $1000 a year kills your budget, then you need to stop driving a subaru.
Old 03-12-2015, 01:33 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: 2018 Golf R Variant
Originally Posted by El Wray
Aside from the 30K/60K or if it's around a major mod install, I've been getting the oil changed at the dealer since day 1. (Dealer being Capitol Subaru.) I literally live about 1/4 mile away so it makes it easy. I go every 3K like clockwork. Strangely enough the past couple of years the sticker they put on the windshield started saying 5K and the past year or so it's actually been 7K. 7K? Really??
Whaaaaa??? Who are these crazy madmen that are following Subaru's recommended oil change intervals??

Originally Posted by Rescuer
Yep.

This is like trying to understand any other quirky thing someone does to their car because they think they know what they are doing. In most cases, it's best to just leave them be, because they think they are doing the right thing and will get angry if you challenge their beliefs. And agreed.

I used to change my oil before and after every track day, but that was when I had time for track days. I do not know if this was even remotely necessary, as I did not have the oil tested back then.

These days, I send off an oil sample to Blackstone and go by their recommendations.

Originally Posted by spidey5o
i've done some backtracking, subaru sent letters to 2011 STI/WRX owners that oil intervals are now at 7500 miles/7.5 months.

https://www.subaru.com/content/downl...11SchedFed.pdf

it is noted that at 7500 mile oil change intervals, it's in ideal conditions. For harsher conditions, it's recommended at every 3750 miles.

for me, 5K intervals work since 1.) i don't plan on driving like when i was in my 20s. 2.) this car is only for my work commute (i have a crotch rocket if i feel like flying thru the mountains) 3.) i doubt bay area conditions are considered as harsh. an oil change is about $30 (fairly cheap for maintenance). with my 02 WRX, i've done 5K mile intervals and it ran great! so i'm sticking to what i know.
Yep.

At the end of the day, it totally depends on the car, the usage, and many other things. It's impossible for someone on the internet to give someone else on the internet advice about their car without knowing anything about them or their car, but that doesn't stop people from doing it.

I usually change my WRX oil every 3500. I have never had to add oil to this car - as strange as that sounds and no I would not believe this either if I read it, but this is my experience. My last WRX used around 1qt every 3k, but not this one. I am trying for 5k this time but might change it early and send if off "just because" or something.

From what I have read, the oil change interval has much more to do with the filter's capacity than the oil itself. I could have mis-understood that, but that is what I got out of it.
Old 03-12-2015, 02:15 PM

Originally Posted by wombatsauce
These days, I send off an oil sample to Blackstone and go by their recommendations.
I read this all the time, and all I have to say is, it ain't blackstone that pays if your engine goes BOOM or has damage of some kind.

Again, what is wrong with changing it every 3000. If $1000 a year is too much for your blood, you need to quit driving.
Old 03-12-2015, 02:23 PM

wow. LOL this was just a post that I'd like to share about having to do an extra step (removing the skid plate) to change the oil from an 02 WRX to a 2011 STI. and here we are discussing about intervals, types of oil, etc. etc.

look, change your oil at 50, 500, 3000, 5000 or 7500 miles, it doesn't matter. it's your car! lol we're all subbie owners, end of story. no need to start throwing salaries and money around.
Old 03-12-2015, 02:25 PM

Car Info: 04 STi
I would consider 'having a turbo' to be an extreme/harsh condition. My 04 STi manual says 20w50 is appropriate for extreme conditions. Weird how the new manuals took that out when it's the same engine.
Old 03-12-2015, 02:32 PM

I read this all the time, and all I have to say is, it ain't blackstone that pays if your engine goes BOOM or has damage of some kind.

Again, what is wrong with changing it every 3000. If $1000 a year is too much for your blood, you need to quit driving.
Devil's advocate question...Using that logic, do you then also change your brake pads, rotors, tires, transmission/gear fluid, spark plugs, coolant, whatever other important wear and tear part way in advance of potential life-cycle end because...you know...you don't want things going BOOM or encountering damage of some kind?
Old 03-12-2015, 02:38 PM

Originally Posted by spidey5o
wow. LOL this was just a post that I'd like to share about having to do an extra step (removing the skid plate) to change the oil from an 02 WRX to a 2011 STI. and here we are discussing about intervals, types of oil, etc. etc.

look, change your oil at 50, 500, 3000, 5000 or 7500 miles, it doesn't matter. it's your car! lol we're all subbie owners, end of story. no need to start throwing salaries and money around
d00d d00d d00d you made an oil post and seriously did not expect a war to break out over products or methods?!? : That topic is money-in-the-bank-gurantee for an online all out bare knuckle brawl
Old 03-12-2015, 02:46 PM

d00d d00d d00d you made an oil post and seriously did not expect a war to break out over products or methods?!? : That topic is money-in-the-bank-gurantee for an online all out bare knuckle brawl
oh nasiocers... i mean iclubers, you sure know how to make a guy feel like he's never left the subbie family. where's the popcorn at?! lol
Old 03-12-2015, 02:55 PM

Devil's advocate question...Using that logic, do you then also change your brake pads, rotors, tires, transmission/gear fluid, spark plugs, coolant, whatever other important wear and tear part way in advance of potential life-cycle end because...you know...you don't want things going BOOM or encountering damage of some kind?
I change my brake fluid and clutch fluid every year, Transmission and gear fluid every year (every 2 on the rock crawlers as they sit most the time), plugs and coolant every 30k, brake pads at 1/4 left.

Yes, I believe in being proactive with my cars, then again there is a reason why I get 200,000+ miles out of stuff, and why my rock crawling beast, has 267,000 miles on it and I flog it like a red headed step child...yet it never gives in.
Old 03-12-2015, 03:00 PM

Originally Posted by subie OCD
I would consider 'having a turbo' to be an extreme/harsh condition. My 04 STi manual says 20w50 is appropriate for extreme conditions. Weird how the new manuals took that out when it's the same engine.
i think the extreme conditions mean harsh weather (hot or cold) and/or level of stress on your engine. Unless the bay area is experiencing a snow storm or heat wave or you're EXTREME rallying around 101, it's safe to say just follow your manual. lol

Quick Reply: Finally! Changing oil on the STI