FAILED Smog

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2003, 03:03 PM

Car Info: 2000 2.5RS Silverthorn
If it is pinging under no load (which is how smog is done right now), there are other issues that need to be addressed. The fact that he said "Everything was cool" leads me to believe this is not the case.
I believe the 2.5RS does not have adjustable timing. The ECM doesn't just retard the timing for nothing. Thats why I guessed that it might be pinging.

If the car is running lean, ECT is too hot, or you are using too low octane fuel it will ping. When the car pings the ECM autmatically retards timing and adds fuel causeing the car to pollute more than normal. But untill we see some #'s we wont know if thats teh case.

Side note : EGR is basically "not tested" right now due to no load. Once the dyno smog checks come in a few months (and thus it is tested "under load") expect to see a rash of failures that are almost all EGR related.
Actually, the EGR Valve is tested in the smog check even if it is not a dyno smog check. It is tested manually after the sniffer test. The only time when it is not tested is when the car has a digital EGR system.

So now the REAL question : does the 2.5RS have an EGR valve?
99% of vehicles today have EGR systems. I'm not sure if the 2.5RS has one though.
Old 05-07-2003, 03:22 PM

Car Info: 96 Chevy Impala SS, 06 GMC 2500HD (former 02 WRX)
I believe the 2.5RS does not have adjustable timing. The ECM doesn't just retard the timing for nothing. Thats why I guessed that it might be pinging.
True, although I suspect what happened here is that the shop in question never actually read WHAT the timing was . They pulled numbers out of their......ear

If the car is running lean, ECT is too hot, or you are using too low octane fuel it will ping.
Under load, absolutely. Remember, this is idle / no-load though.

Actually, the EGR Valve is tested in the smog check even if it is not a dyno smog check. It is tested manually after the sniffer test. The only time when it is not tested is when the car has a digital EGR system.
OK, guess I should have been a little clearer.

What they do is test it IF they can find/access the EGR valve by just pressing in on the valve to make sure it is hooked up (car will stutter/die if EGR is "manually" enabled at idle). They might also hook up a vacuum tester to the EGR solenoid and try to get into "EGR Inducing" conditions to see if the solenoid activates.....which is tough to SAFELY do in a manual tranny car while not driving the car (you'd have to load the motor, and avoid driving thru the garage wall while doing it!)

99% of vehicles today have EGR systems. I'm not sure if the 2.5RS has one though.
I'd guess it does, since I don't believe Subaru goes all that radical on cam specs while "stock". If you run enough cam overlap, you can get away with no EGR (see the 96 LT4 Corvette or the 2000+ Chevy LS1/LS6 cars for an example of a non-EGR motor). Run too much overlap though and you'd never pass smog tailpipe....although the results would be a "fun" (more HP from the "radical" cam) failure

So Gagan, you have some numbers for us?
Old 05-07-2003, 04:10 PM
Old School

Car Info: '99 RBP GM6
Originally posted by Impala SS AutoX

So Gagan, you have some numbers for us?

Damn this is a lot of typing...

Ignition Timing FAIL CHECK
Engine Ignition Timing 9 Deg BTDC

TEST RESULTS=

RPM = 2500

MAX AVG ACTUAL

HC<ppm> 130 12 12
CO<%> 1.00 0.10 0.00
CO2<%> - - 14.6
O2<%> - - 0.4

RPM = IDLE

MAX AVG ACTUAL

HC<ppm> 100 17 13
CO<%> 1.00 0.00 0.18
CO2<%> - - 9.8
O2<%> - - 6.9

Is that what you are looking for?

-Gagan
Old 05-07-2003, 06:09 PM

Yes, those are the actual numbers......and you passed by a mile!

Try another smog station, you should be fine.
Old 05-07-2003, 10:43 PM
Former Sponsor

Car Info: I got a couple :)
gegan repeat after me. "I will follow the advice folks tell me the same day I asked about my car failing smog"..

we want to hear what happens after okay gegan

cheers

gino
Old 05-07-2003, 11:22 PM
Old School

Car Info: '99 RBP GM6
Originally posted by ginowrx
gegan repeat after me. "I will follow the advice folks tell me the same day I asked about my car failing smog"..

we want to hear what happens after okay gegan

cheers

gino
I know! I'm getting around to going to a place where I KNOW i will pass... or where they won't care about cam timing...

The crazy guy with the M3 knows someone, that's my friday morning fix

-Gagan
Old 05-07-2003, 11:59 PM

Gagan : talked to a friend of mine tonight who is Smog-certified. She (yes, she!) said that you should have passed; idle ignition timing is COMPLETELY IRRELEVANT to the smog test!

If you REALLY want to "screw back" this smog station (here's where it gets good ) you could go get the car passed at the BAR referee station (it'd pass...easily) and then get BAR to go after this smog station for screwing with customers
Old 05-08-2003, 12:21 AM

Car Info: 2000 2.5RS Silverthorn
The only time the timing even matters in a smog check is when the car they are smogging has adjustable timing. So you shouldn't have failed.