Equilibrium Tuning Reflash coming from Cobb stage 2

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2005, 12:09 PM

Car Info: 2003 WRX Sedan
Equilibrium Tuning Reflash coming from Cobb stage 2

Hey folks. So this past Sunday I was lucky enough to have a whole day to visit Ed in Davis to get an ecutek road tune.

Ed:
Ed is a very friendly and knoledgeable tuner who will truly go the extra mile for every customer. I mean jesus christ the guy spent like 3-4 hours fine tuning my car for the same normal price, which by the way is cheaper than anyone else... He didn't mind me asking the most noobish of questions over and over again lol. It was also really cool to have the tuning done right next to me so I could peer over his shoulder and ask about anything I wanted, unlike with some dyno tunes where you can't even be in the same frickin' room with the guy! Now on to the tune.

Let me just say that I went into the whole thing in order to keep my engine healthy, because many CA Cobb cars are running dangerously lean and making little power (if you have questions, pm me or Ed or call Gruppe-S, L.I.C. etc). I basically wanted to make sure my AFR's were perfect, and to eliminate any present knock. To be blunt, I can't afford a new engine any time soon. Any performance gains were just going to be added bonuses. Ed actually said my Cobb car ran better than most (I am only talking about off the shelf maps, not street tuner or pro tuner), but I did in fact of a good amount of knock. My advance multiplier was stuck at 11 instead of 16, and you'll notice in the comparison graph the spot where the power just dips hard on the Cobb tune because the ecu had pulled so much timing in response to repeated knock. AFter his tune was done there was no knock whatsoever, with beautiful AFR's staying between 10.7-10.9 all through the power band. At that point I would be satisfied because my car would be safe, but he also happened to increase hp and tq at EVERY rpm! Peak power is about 16 psi, with full boost coming on at only 2900 frickin-rpm. Not too shabby...A couple pulls actually had a few hp more, but this one was the prettiest

Btw These are third gear pulls. it was at least 90 degrees out and I have stock cooling system right now except for a crucial radiator cap hahah, so the tune is VERY safe and will be meaner up in my moist and cooler Santa Cruz mountains

As for how it actually feels, it really is a very noticeable difference! Power comes on quicker and pulls harder in every gear. Most noticeable is the top end, which as you can see has been much improved. 4th gear is much stronger and more usable. The car feels very smooth and linear, with zero hiccups whatsoever. Boost is more linear...as in if you want half of your boost you just press the pedal half way down. Very easy to control. I even think the car sounds smoother, slightly quieter and less lumpy - more like a real sports car (the girlfriend thinks so too ). Okay i've rambled enough and people have probably posted while I was writing this second part so yeah....I can't thank Ed enough for a wonderful tune that puts my mind at ease and my foot to the pedal!!!

btw I don't mean this post as a bashing for the off the shelf maker's product, just wanted to show the facts. Some of their customers' cars run very well. They are good folks. Obviously off the shelf maps aren't going to be as good as custom tunes, but I will say I'm glad my car is safer and I recommend the change. Gotta be honest

Engine Mods:
Ecutek
Helix down-pipe
Vishnu up-pipe
Borla Hush dp-back

Last edited by downshiftdan; 07-13-2005 at 01:24 PM.
Old 07-13-2005, 12:32 PM

Car Info: '98 Legacy GT - EJ20 swap, STI RA tranny, VF22+

Jeremy
Old 07-13-2005, 12:58 PM
the artist formerly known as mcdrama

Car Info: WRBP 2015 WRX Premium/CVT
Jeremy, those are Dan's right? Those are some sweet *** numbers, nice curve as well!
Old 07-13-2005, 01:26 PM

Car Info: 2005 Blue STi Gold Wheels Piggy Stickers!!!
Thumbs up Peek isn't erverything.

Yeah I think people get this idea that peek WHP is everything, but what is more important is the linier application of that WHP. I have seen guys who say they get XX amount of HP but in reality the guy with that linier curve like you have will smoke them every time. Making sure your car run properly is key. This is why I haven't modded my car yet. I won't until I can get somone to dyno it and verify that everything is running as it should.

Glad to hear your car is running smoother. It offers that peice of mind that something isn't gonig to blow up on you.
Old 07-13-2005, 01:41 PM
iClub Silver Vendor

Car Info: A Laptop
Dan,

Thanks for the nice review. Its always fun to meet another cool Subie driver
Also, thanks to Jeremy for posting the graphs!

Have fun with the car, but be safe
Old 07-13-2005, 01:48 PM

Car Info: '98 Legacy GT - EJ20 swap, STI RA tranny, VF22+
Originally Posted by mcdrama
Jeremy, those are Dan's right? Those are some sweet *** numbers, nice curve as well!
Yah, those are Dan's. ....the change in top end is pretty crazy!!!... good work, Ed

Jeremy
Old 07-13-2005, 02:28 PM

Car Info: 2004 WRX Wagon
Ed, any plan on getting the Pro Tuner? I have the Cobb AP and would like to get a safer tune too. I didn't want to get ECUTek because I want to keep the ability to go back to stock when I go to a dealer and/or sell my car. My Cobb Stage 1 is now much better with Cobb's latest map with the new closed/open loop behavior. But I am sure it can be improved.
Old 07-13-2005, 02:52 PM
iClub Silver Vendor

Car Info: A Laptop
Originally Posted by 2004Wagon
Ed, any plan on getting the Pro Tuner? I have the Cobb AP and would like to get a safer tune too. I didn't want to get ECUTek because I want to keep the ability to go back to stock when I go to a dealer and/or sell my car. My Cobb Stage 1 is now much better with Cobb's latest map with the new closed/open loop behavior. But I am sure it can be improved.

ProTUNER is in the works, send me an e-mail or PM and I'll make sure to let you know as soon as it comes in

Thanks
Old 07-13-2005, 03:32 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: 03 WRX
Nice #'s and best of all nice curve.
Old 07-13-2005, 05:43 PM

Car Info: 2003 WRX Sedan
Originally Posted by 2004Wagon
I didn't want to get ECUTek because I want to keep the ability to go back to stock when I go to a dealer and/or sell my car.
As far as I know the dealer will not know if you have ecutek or not. The main thing is whether the cats are there. If you put the stock exhaust back on and brought it to them with the tune on it it would be fine, unless they decide to go joyriding
Old 07-14-2005, 09:38 AM

Car Info: WR Blue Wagon
Originally Posted by downshiftdan
As far as I know the dealer will not know if you have ecutek or not. The main thing is whether the cats are there. If you put the stock exhaust back on and brought it to them with the tune on it it would be fine, unless they decide to go joyriding
But when you go to sell the car and need to put the cats back on in order to transfer title, what do you do?

I to have Cobb and that's one of the big reasons for choosing it. I'm waiting for someone close to get ProTuner. Let me know when you do Ed.
Old 07-14-2005, 10:24 AM

Car Info: 2002 psm wrx
Originally Posted by Racenut
I'm waiting for someone close to get ProTuner. Let me know when you do Ed.
I've been chatting with Ed and he said he should be getting his shortly.

ryan
Old 07-14-2005, 11:15 AM
Dahveed aka Robin Hood

Car Info: (RIP) '04 STi Silver
Originally Posted by gooder77
I've been chatting with Ed and he said he should be getting his shortly.

ryan
I will be switching from EcuTek to ProTuner soon, Ed has mine on order already!
Old 07-14-2005, 11:31 AM
VIP Member

Car Info: A limousine with a chauffer
Originally Posted by Racenut
But when you go to sell the car and need to put the cats back on in order to transfer title, what do you do?
They can flash the ECU back to stock.
Old 07-14-2005, 11:34 AM

Car Info: WR Blue 2004 WRX
If you don't mind me asking, how much was the tune, and does it only apply to AP or can it be done to the stock ECU without an AP?

Quick Reply: Equilibrium Tuning Reflash coming from Cobb stage 2