eff...windshield crack...

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2012, 08:05 AM

Car Info: 2006 OBP STI
eff...windshield crack...

Driving back from Comic Con last week and found myself behind a gravel truck...despite my best efforts to get ahead of it I heard small pebbles hitting off my car. Pulling over for gas (and letting the wife go to the bathroom), I found a chip that is slowly cracking its way down my windshield.

Any shop recommendations, and has anyone claimed an incident like this to their insurance? Like I said, I discovered it AFTER i drove past the gravel truck and it was never to be seen again.
Old 07-23-2012, 09:05 AM

Car Info: 04 psm wrx sedan
I have a $500 deductible and windshield was 250-ish from safelite so I paid out of pocket...

From what I've heard, its not their fault if a rock hits your windshield so it usually isn't covered
Old 07-23-2012, 09:16 AM

dang...that's what I figured. You'd think those guys are required to have those things covered. Oh well, no biggie, I love paying out of pocket for stuff I had no control over...
Old 07-23-2012, 09:44 AM
VIP Member

Car Info: Corvette Z51
WAIT, before you pay out of pocket, talk to your insurance agent or call your insurance company's customer service line (or take a look at your policy papers) -- check to see if your policy has a glass-only claim coverage. Most policies have it, and it's usually a low deductible (i.e. often enough to cover the whole windshield with no/minimal out of pocket) and typically won't raise your premium unless you make more than "X" number of claims per year on glass. Check check check that policy!
Old 07-23-2012, 10:10 AM
General Pimpin'

Car Info: MY04 aspen wrx wagon.
Originally Posted by slugrx
I have a $500 deductible and windshield was 250-ish from safelite so I paid out of pocket...

From what I've heard, its not their fault if a rock hits your windshield so it usually isn't covered
Yeah. You can write a truck number down and make a call. It can pay off. If they don't have it covered or the rear door isn't sealed properly they should take care of you.

My wife's forester was like 2 weeks old and that happened to her. They offered to paint the whole front end of her car for her. The damage wasn't too bad when I cleaned it off... we thought it was way bad but only a couple nicks so we just let it go.... mostly she did. Haaaa.

I had my windshield busted by an asshat coming out of the fields and they wouldn't do anything. Just pretended not to speak english. Well... maybe not pretending but it was still annoying. My windshield was literally 20 minutes old. I picked it up in SC and was on riverside when it happened.
Old 07-23-2012, 11:09 AM

Car Info: Bagged 2014 STi
Safelite is good, cracked mine on the way to Tahoe last year. If you have AAA you pay $50 for a windshield that would cost anywhere from 400-500, I believe you get this deal one time every year which is a great deal.
Old 07-23-2012, 11:10 AM
If in doubt, FLAT OUT

Car Info: 2010 Hatch, 2011 Sedan
Originally Posted by Choku Dori
WAIT, before you pay out of pocket, talk to your insurance agent or call your insurance company's customer service line (or take a look at your policy papers) -- check to see if your policy has a glass-only claim coverage. Most policies have it, and it's usually a low deductible (i.e. often enough to cover the whole windshield with no/minimal out of pocket) and typically won't raise your premium unless you make more than "X" number of claims per year on glass. Check check check that policy!
Glass coverage is often optional and is not available on all plans. I had it on mine and it was like and extra $6 a year! Only used it a few times, but it paid off though. Then when I switched plans even though I am still with the same company, they said the new one does not offer it.
Old 07-23-2012, 12:18 PM

Car Info: wrx02
I gave up changing windshield on 1st chip because I get that too often. I just use self fix from autozone before it gets big or crack. Several chips on my current windshield with that self fix. No crack line yet.
Old 07-23-2012, 12:20 PM

Car Info: Bagged 2014 STi
By the way, did you check out Halo 4 and Black Ops 2 while you were there ????
Old 07-23-2012, 12:21 PM

Originally Posted by willow
I gave up changing windshield on 1st chip because I get that too often. I just use self fix from autozone before it gets big or crack. Several chips on my current windshield with that self fix. No crack line yet.
I wish I would have noticed it, the chip was cleverly hidden behind my rearview mirror from the drivers side, i didnt see it till i was driving a few days ago and saw the crack creeping down the windshield...
Old 07-23-2012, 12:32 PM
aka FlukeWRX

Car Info: '03 WRX WRB Sedan
Take it over to Low Price Auto Glass in Dublin. They did mine with the same grade of glass as what the factory is and new rubber seal all for $200 a few years back at this point.

Low Price Auto Glass - Dublin, CA

Low Price Auto Glass - Mention that you found them on Yelp and it looks like you can get an extra $30.00 Off.
Old 07-23-2012, 12:42 PM

Car Info: 04 psm wrx sedan
Originally Posted by willow
How long has it been since the chips were filled? My girlfriend has a big chip on her window that is right in the field of view..its getting annoying and I've been waiting for it to splinter before replacing but I might try the self fix stuff
Old 07-23-2012, 01:53 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: Corvette Z51
Originally Posted by 04GG
Glass coverage is often optional and is not available on all plans. I had it on mine and it was like and extra $6 a year! Only used it a few times, but it paid off though. Then when I switched plans even though I am still with the same company, they said the new one does not offer it.
Yeah, that's why I told him to check. It's a coverage that is frequently not discussed for one reason or another. Most policyholders don't even know whether they bought it or not, and it seems like a lot of agents/service reps just tack it on *****-nilly or leave it off will-nilly without talking about it with their clients.
Old 07-23-2012, 01:57 PM

Originally Posted by Choku Dori
ill have to do that. i let my wife do all my insurance stuff. Last accident i was in was in a rental in LA and had no idea she had signed us up for rental insurance before I went. So I have no idea what I have, i just pay it.
Old 07-23-2012, 02:01 PM

Car Info: 2012 DGM WRX STI
Originally Posted by slugrx

I found out that for a 100 dollar deductible on comprehensive (not collision), it was an extra 5 bux per month for my insurance.

Some local glass places will actually reimburse you up to 100 bux for getting glass replaced with them. one guy i know does 75 dollars, so you technically pay 25 dollars for it with a $100 deductible.

Quick Reply: eff...windshield crack...