EARTHQUAKE SUPPLIES Kit

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2010, 05:32 PM
more than meets the eye

Car Info: ?
Originally Posted by Overbear
Depends on how you build it. I have put in a water purifier, I carry ammo, food and medical for 3 people and 2 dogs, I bought packs for the dogs to carry extra stuff (ammo and gear).

I would say my full BOB is $1200 or so of equipment. You don't have to go that hard core, but remember I have to support 3 people plus the dogs, and I plan for a full 7 days between points of food/water.
damn!

yea, i'll continue researching. prob put together something much cheaper to support 2 people and 1 dog.

thx
Old 09-15-2010, 08:04 PM
03.23.67 - 06.14.13

Originally Posted by soundwave
damn!

yea, i'll continue researching. prob put together something much cheaper to support 2 people and 1 dog.

thx

just write down what you ate, drank, took a medication for in the week.

now, imagine loosing power.

now imagine having to drive away with less than a minute's notice.

and imagine not having a way to communicate with your family.

that might be our next disaster scenario.

i've always though of bugging in due to earthquakes. but the san bruno thingee has me rethinking.
Old 09-15-2010, 08:27 PM

Car Info: VF48'd WRB Bugeye
I didn't see any mention in this thread but you'll also want copies of medical records for your pets showing that all vaccinations are up to date in case you need to stay at a shelter.
Old 09-15-2010, 10:01 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: 2018 Golf R Variant
Originally Posted by ldivinag
just write down what you ate, drank, took a medication for in the week.
Great advice. I used to be adamant about not relying on any kind of medication. I have one now unfortunately, but I have never been as old as I am today. I have made sure I can go at least a week without it though, and once I got through the week I am sure I would be fine (not critical). It's also good to think of basic OTC stuff like antacid, bandaids, gas-x. What?

now, imagine loosing power.

now imagine having to drive away with less than a minute's notice.

and imagine not having a way to communicate with your family.

that might be our next disaster scenario.
Too true. We lost power in San Bruno - I have to think purposely in some cases for caution. Although, we lose power in San Bruno when someone flushes a turlet twice.

i've always though of bugging in due to earthquakes. but the san bruno thingee has me rethinking.
Out of curiosity - why the change and what about this event? Genuinely looking to know. I was in the area - literally, could see flames from my window at work and felt the boom. I got in my car and attempted to head home but it was literally lockdown within 15 minutes or less of the actual explosion - then power went out at work and I had to respond. I saw a fight in an intersection, people running around like freaks, cars/driving all over - in a yard, wrong side of the road, all kinds of weird stuff. I know this was a horrific event for those involved but it was a localized disaster - we still had phone, services and if really determined - could get out of the area. I cling to a hope that we don't need to protect ourselves from each other, even though it's not realistic. I believe that someone who would consider hurting someone to steal their supplies should ****ing die right now. But after seeing the nutso over this event with my own eyes, I will be taking action on a few plans. It's really great to see these supply lists and such. I used to have a great supply of such including a rotating water supply (you can rotate with camping trips and such - one idea) but have let it go after a move and laziness.

As far as guns though, of course it makes sense to be armed. To an extent though, if someone such as myself REALLY needs guns to survive, there's no possible way to maintain/store/build enough ammunition, and someone will always have something bigger/crazier. I'm sure someone may agree based on their own self-perceived awesomeness, and that's fine. I used to live in a house with a gun room larger than my last apartment and this notion came from the owner of such. I let all my guns go in my last move across an ocean and have not replaced them due to my housemate, but that will change now.

A 4WD vehicle is a great idea too. We have two. I was in my large Canadian V8 coupe on the day of the explosion and was thinking that if I had brought a Justy I could have gotten anywhere I wanted (have practiced that to great success). A 1985ish Toyota 4WD truck or my old '73 LandCrusher would be more durable and practical in most cases but Justy's are just so awesome.
Old 02-16-2012, 09:55 AM
VIP Member

Car Info: psm.03.wrx.wgn
Giving O.G. Gagan's thread a bump b/c my 'hood (Vallejo) just got mildly shaken for the 2nd time in 9 hrs.

M3.5 at 6:09pm PST 15 Feb 2012

M3.5 at 9:13am PST 16 Feb 2012

Check your kits. And update any & all necessary preparedness supplies, procedures, etc.
Old 02-17-2012, 11:34 PM
03.23.67 - 06.14.13

Originally Posted by wombatsauce

Out of curiosity - why the change and what about this event? Genuinely looking to know.
since this thread was bumped, and i just happen to read the question...

take a look at any disaster we have had in the San Fran bay area.

89 quake. biggest one we have had so far. not just localized but wide spread.

so i am always planning for the big EQ if and when it happens.

our home happens to be on a "solid" ground (unlike the SF marina area where liquefaction happened and caused the homes to collapsed). worse case scenario is the house is RED TAG'ed and uninhabitable.

we just happened to have an "tool" shed that i packed all the my camping gear in. used for camping but also for emergency needs. i can break down the door if needed to grab things.

and this is what i call BUGGING IN instead of bugging OUT.

i imagine the situation after a big EQ to be like a long term camping out.

after the san bruno fire, i made changes. i do have a storage space that i moved/bought stuff for in case our street does go up in flames.

after all, we do have PG&E gas lines. so if a localized event like this does happen, my secondary storage space will be utilized.
Old 02-18-2012, 10:17 AM
Nobody likes the tuna here

Car Info: 03 SRP WRX Street Class Prepped, 17 Chevy Duramax
Originally Posted by boardoholic
Giving O.G. Gagan's thread a bump b/c my 'hood (Vallejo) just got mildly shaken for the 2nd time in 9 hrs.

M3.5 at 6:09pm PST 15 Feb 2012

M3.5 at 9:13am PST 16 Feb 2012

Check your kits. And update any & all necessary preparedness supplies, procedures, etc.
I'm sorry to say but that magnitude doesn't really catch my attention whatsoever, if USGS doesn't send me an email it's too small. Perhaps this is used to being in Japan and having 3's often. 4 it gets ehhh and 5 okay it's an earthquake.
since this thread was bumped, and i just happen to read the question...

take a look at any disaster we have had in the San Fran bay area.

89 quake. biggest one we have had so far. not just localized but wide spread.

so i am always planning for the big EQ if and when it happens.

our home happens to be on a "solid" ground (unlike the SF marina area where liquefaction happened and caused the homes to collapsed). worse case scenario is the house is RED TAG'ed and uninhabitable.

we just happened to have an "tool" shed that i packed all the my camping gear in. used for camping but also for emergency needs. i can break down the door if needed to grab things.

and this is what i call BUGGING IN instead of bugging OUT.

i imagine the situation after a big EQ to be like a long term camping out.

after the san bruno fire, i made changes. i do have a storage space that i moved/bought stuff for in case our street does go up in flames.

after all, we do have PG&E gas lines. so if a localized event like this does happen, my secondary storage space will be utilized.
That's a good way to utilized other spaces you have. I'm glad we don't have gas lines for our house.

But regardless, if anything were to happen after my stuffs packed I'm gonna be out helping others cause we will be short people even if our Volunteer fire was fully staffing. Not too worried since I'm out by the coast and our faults here cannot really create a tsunami although those sirens probably will go off.