Door Card Material

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2009, 05:15 PM
BAM9 Ladies choice Carshow winner

Car Info: 13 FR-S/05 STI
Originally Posted by Rescuer
I forgot where i got this pic from, but it pretty much looks like my door card. I'll have to take pics of mine in the morning. not sure why I never took them after all this time

hey bro, i'll pay you to help me do mine pm me if you could
Old 05-10-2009, 04:06 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: .
Originally Posted by STI RUSH
hey bro, i'll pay you to help me do mine pm me if you could
it's really easy you can do it!
but if you really need the help, let me know.

i finally took a pic yesterday
Old 05-10-2009, 09:08 PM

good job man. DUDE IM DYING right now. I did my piece with cupholders in it. Im around where the shifter trim area goes lookS awesome, but doing the rest (after that and back over cupholder area etc) i can't get it to sit well and am scared to move on. Not for fear of ruining the fabric or piece as ive fooked it up a couple times already, but for free of loosing all the time i spent on it again. I was thinking of cutting it behind the shifter trim area if I **** up and then have a seam for the piece that goes back and covers cupholder/ outlines rear diff adjust button etc..

Last edited by slow04wrx; 05-10-2009 at 09:13 PM.
Old 05-10-2009, 09:13 PM

Car Info: RWD Camry
Originally Posted by slow04wrx
good job man. DUDE IM DYING right now. I did my piece with cupholders in it. Im around where the shifter trim area goes lookS awesome, but doing the rest (after that and back over cupholder area etc) i can't get it to sit well and am scared to move on. Not for fear of ruining the fabric or piece as ive fooked it up a couple times already, but for free of loosing all the time i spent on it again. I was thinking of cutting it behind the shifter trim area if I **** up and then have a seam for the piece that goes back and covers cupholder/ outlines rear diff adjust button etc..
Thanks. Yeah its a real pita when the smallest things go wrong, and you gotta go back and fix it. Are you covering the cupholders themselves?
Old 05-10-2009, 09:15 PM

Im going to cut out the tops of the cup holders and no material will be laid inside initially. After talking with my friends mom who owns a leather/fabric speciality place she said I could easily trace the cupholder shape, drop in the shape (this is after cutting out the tops and maybe let them run a tiny bit long) then she will sew it with a colored stitch.

But how it sits im not trying to put the material just inside there with that 1 large piece. I figure I got far enough for a stitch but I realllly want to make the whole piece with no stitch. Once I get this done I will finish the hvac piece (easy cause you can clean it all up on the rear) and put it all back together, put my vinyl stereo overalay/**** overlay, then Ill move on to the glovebox/pillars. Already wasted a lot of fabric.

Best lesson learned=Need gojo hand cleaner and to clean in between gluing sessions.

Last edited by slow04wrx; 05-10-2009 at 09:17 PM.
Old 05-10-2009, 09:30 PM

Car Info: 2007 WRX CGM
Can't wait to get started on this once finals are over. How much should I expect to pay for materials? Ballpark?
Old 05-10-2009, 09:35 PM

But how it sits im not trying to put the material just inside there with that 1 large piece. I figure I got far enough for a stitch but I realllly want to make the whole piece with no stitch. Once I get this done I will finish the hvac piece (easy cause you can clean it all up on the rear) and put it all back together, put my vinyl stereo overalay/**** overlay, then Ill move on to the glovebox/pillars. Already wasted a lot of fabric.

Best lesson learned=Need gojo hand cleaner and to clean in between gluing sessions.
yeah, stitching is the best for those situations where theres two curves that need to be flat. Hence some small corners on my doors that have overlaps yuck.

Originally Posted by jondl
Can't wait to get started on this once finals are over. How much should I expect to pay for materials? Ballpark?
I got my suede on sale at joannes for about $20 for 15 sq ft. 8 bucks for the screws I needed to reattach the cards, and about 8 bucks for hte fabric glue. If you want, I can help you with yours. I still have hella screws left over and spray.
Old 05-13-2009, 12:48 PM

Car Info: $2000 hawkeye
blue suede is not available at Joann's. I bought my royal blue microsude on Ebay. Looks great and was cheap, only $9 for 1sq yard. Gonna start my project this week. Will take some pics
Old 05-13-2009, 02:58 PM

Car Info: baby blue TRICK STAR on pink TUFF II's (MIA) =(
go for the GOOCHI or crushed velvet biscuit tuck!

seriously, can't go wrong w/alcantara. diamond stitched leather inserts a la Bentleys & Lambos look real nice, but they migh look a lil out of place in a Suby.
Old 05-13-2009, 08:09 PM

Car Info: 2007 WRX CGM
Originally Posted by Pactin
yeah, stitching is the best for those situations where theres two curves that need to be flat. Hence some small corners on my doors that have overlaps yuck.

I got my suede on sale at joannes for about $20 for 15 sq ft. 8 bucks for the screws I needed to reattach the cards, and about 8 bucks for hte fabric glue. If you want, I can help you with yours. I still have hella screws left over and spray.
Thanks for the info! I may take you up on that offer once I get some free time. Expect a PM in a couple of weeks and possibly we can do a quick writeup for everyone here.
Old 05-13-2009, 10:35 PM

yea alcantara ftl. It's like 100/yard sadly. SO I finished up my piece it looked great including the cupholders minus the stitch or fold. I dropped it off with my friends mom and it may be 3 weeks before I get my console back!!! ahhh. but she won't charge me nearly anything.Can't wait to see it. In the mean time ill finish my hvac cover/stereo decals and hopefully get my glovebox too

if you want to see a guy who can do the pricy LAMBO/BENTLEY diamond blah blah/alcantara(but very reasonable given the final product) check out jpmcoachworks.com

He is amazing, this sti dash he did (you have to scour for pics ppl dont like to share em for some reason) was just breathtaking.

Last edited by slow04wrx; 05-14-2009 at 12:01 AM.
Old 05-14-2009, 12:27 AM

Originally Posted by jondl
Thanks for the info! I may take you up on that offer once I get some free time. Expect a PM in a couple of weeks and possibly we can do a quick writeup for everyone here.
forsure

He is amazing, this sti dash he did (you have to scour for pics ppl dont like to share em for some reason) was just breathtaking.

That steering wheel looks awesome. But it wouldn't be very practical for people with sweaty hands (like me when I get too into the driving experience).
Old 05-14-2009, 12:41 AM

apparently the stuff is really easy to clean and he has done quite a few. If you eat in your car and stuff might be bad though. Agreed tho, with something like that you have to keep a bottle of hand purifer gel in your car and a towel and clean them each time before you drive. Might keep you from slipping off the wheel mid fishtail during a hot summer day tho!
Old 05-14-2009, 04:49 PM

Car Info: Sti hatch
so sick to all of your jobs!! ive been wanting to do my center counsel, but i dont want the door cards done becasue in my 05 it looks cool already, anyone done this and it looks weird? lol
Old 05-15-2009, 01:29 AM

Okay, i typed up a brief tutorial w/ pics. However, its on power point. Does anyone know how to make it so that I can put it on the internet, slideshow style, but also un-editable?

Quick Reply: Door Card Material