Do STi Drivers Say Hi To Regular WRX Drivers

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2004, 12:16 AM

Car Info: R.I.P. '02 WR Blue Pearl, Hello '05 OBP STi
Do STi Drivers Say Hi To Regular WRX Drivers

So I'm pulling out of the Toys R Us here in Stockton and this blue STi rolls right past me. I pull out and we end up stopped at the light right next to each other.

Note that in Stockton, this is a one in a million site..at least to me anyway...A regular Pearl Blue WRX stopped at the light next to a Blue STi. I'd be stunned if I were behind us.

So soon as I roll up next to him I try to look at the guy to say "what up" and to give him a thumbs up knowing this guy saw me pull out. I look over and dude doesn't even give me a glance or anything and I keep looking and nothing. So in my mind I was like SCREW YOU BUDDY.

For me personally here in Stockton (seeing as how we have no dealer here), STi's and regular WRX's honk at me from the opposite side of the road and stick their hands up to represent. It's pretty cool.

So my question to all of you is: Do you STi drivers look down upon us regular WRX's or do you tell your fellow Subie owners WHAT UP and give the thumbs up.
Old 07-15-2004, 12:28 AM
VIP Member

Car Info: A limousine with a chauffer
They do here. In fact, the STi guys usually notice me and wave/high beam before I even seem em
Old 07-15-2004, 12:35 AM

Car Info: none
well, i always ride in my cousin's 2.5rex he always honk or throw up the peace sign to mostly everyone
Old 07-15-2004, 12:47 AM

I'm from Stockton also. I experienced similar situation when I pulled up next to this blue sti about 2 months ago (might be the same dude wrxrambo had experienced), and he took off. I wasn't try to race him or anything. Just wanted to say "Dude, nice car", give him "the Suby love" peace sign. I hope most STi owners do not think that they are "better than you" attitude just because they paid more for their cars. Ok, I'll stop ranting now. Peace all.
Old 07-15-2004, 01:54 AM
VIP Member

I posted up a similar reply in the bay area sighting thread. I really don't know what is up with the STI drivers???? I have only had a few of them wave to me here. Most either don't look are give me a really dirty look. The problem with most STI drivers, not all, tend to be rich guys that don't know anything about comradery(sp). The next time that an STI driver doesn't wave, I want to pull him out of his car and beat the living sh*t out of him!
Old 07-15-2004, 02:41 AM

Car Info: 06 EVO IX 67 COUPE DEVILLE
i was driving home from berkley and there was a blue STi and i pulled up next to him to say "whats up" you know he looked but just kinda like what do you want so it could be true
Old 07-15-2004, 02:46 AM
I don't need more cowbell dammit!

Car Info: E82
Do WRX drivers say what up to RS drivers? I get a lot of the same **** from WRX drivers.
Old 07-15-2004, 03:05 AM
VIP Member

Car Info: A limousine with a chauffer
Originally Posted by jewpac42
Do WRX drivers say what up to RS drivers? I get a lot of the same **** from WRX drivers.
RS drivers..ppssshhhhhh

The only RS driver I've EVER had wave to me is ImprezaMatt. Usually when I see an RS they don't even look
Old 07-15-2004, 03:35 AM

Car Info: 04' wrx
I try to wave at all subies. I usually get a weird look. Some in the wrx's and rs's are pretty cool. We only have 2 STi's in our town and they seem pretty cool. The one guy is 17 and the car is actually his moms so i don't think he drives it much and from what he said he is afraid to get pulled over so he dosent really speed. I only usually get really weird looks from the OBS, OB , Forester, and some old school Subaru's. I just don't think they get it. You have to realize that if they are not on somekind of Forum that they don't love there subie but they just use them for good reliable transportation and thats it. Kinda sad for those subies, huh?
Old 07-15-2004, 06:36 AM

Car Info: 02 Impreza WRX sedan
Origami posted by WRXRambo
So soon as I roll up next to him I try to look at the guy to say "what up" and to give him a thumbs up knowing this guy saw me pull out. I look over and dude doesn't even give me a glance or anything and I keep looking and nothing. So in my mind I was like SCREW YOU BUDDY.
Don't get mad! Get i-Club stickers to let other members know who you are!

That STi owner was not a member of i-Club. All members know to wave, nod, or simply flash those pearly whites. I think that since he didn't know how we greet each other, he was avoiding eye contact because that's also how street races are initiated. Don't assume that because someone doesn't happen to look over that they automatically hate your guts and wish you a painful death.

I wave to all Suby owners, regardless of model, if I can at least get their attention while driving.

--
0==WW==0
"…axles of evil…" - george w. bush
Old 07-15-2004, 06:38 AM

Car Info: 02 Impreza WRX sedan
And what is up with that, by the way? Why is it that almost no cars at Mt Hammy were sporting official i-Club stickers??

--
0==WW==0
"…axles of evil…" - george w. bush
Old 07-15-2004, 06:38 AM
VIP Member

Car Info: R.I.P 03 aspen white wrx
uh dude you were in STOCKTON!! i hate stockton i try not to look at anyone and just drive as fast as possible till i get clear of that damn town!

haha
edgar,
Old 07-15-2004, 08:04 AM

Car Info: 2004 Black WRX wagon
Costco in the bay area. Blue STi.. mid 20s asian guy waved at me. I gave him a thumbs up. lol. I don't think STi owners are super ***** or whatever. Personally, STis aren't THAT far away from the WRX.
Old 07-15-2004, 08:11 AM
NASIOC Slut

Car Info: 1995 Subaru Impreza 1.8 L
I have been getting more waves/acknowledgement as of late, I think the hood scoop helps
Old 07-15-2004, 09:16 AM

Car Info: GDA
okay, here's how i see it....

before the wrx, it was the GC guys; the club was small, the car was little-known, and everyone acknowledged each other b/c the impreza market was such a niche market.

then the wrx came out...everyone jumped on the subaru bandwagon b/c of the great value and fun factor of the car. i-club's member number skyrocketed and while subaru brand acknowledgement spreaded, the "subaru love" was thinned out....

finally, the STi was introduced. now, every kid with a rich dad could get one, along with their older, more financially established counterparts. the STi (and WRX) was associated with "cheap performance"...value-wise. people who are drawn to the STi are drawn to this value factor; they didn't come b/c they knew of this club nor do they care that this subaru community exists. they got the STi because it's a pocket rocket for $35k.

i'm interested to see what the legacy GT driver demographics will be like. will the soccer mom care or acknowledge other subaru drivers or will it be driven by performance oriented "adults"?

*edited for spelling errors*

Last edited by doughboy; 07-15-2004 at 09:20 AM.

Quick Reply: Do STi Drivers Say Hi To Regular WRX Drivers