DEADLIEST WARRIOR: Mac Vs P.C., who will reign supreme?

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2009, 11:07 PM
Friendly Neighborhood Ogre

Car Info: GUNATICS.COM
DEADLIEST WARRIOR: Mac Vs P.C., who will reign supreme?

You guys have seen the show "Deadliest Warrior", the show where they pic two of history's warriors and match them up against each other using the newest high tech instruments. They break it down to every single aspect of the warrior's abilities/weapons and match them up as evenly as possible, then they determine who the deadlier warrior is. (who the winner is).

The episode I just saw was William Wallace Vs King Shakazulu, they first look at all their weapons and match them up as evenly as possible to see which weapon is better, then they match the warrior up against the other at the end.

Today's warriors are:

Mac vs P.C.

Let break it down to as many aspects as possible, I'll throw out just a few very simple/popular ones, you can continue to throw out categories in which they must face each other, and we will figure out who reigns supreme.

Remember to factor in as much as possible. Everything you can think of

1. Gaming = What platform reigns supreme in the world of gaming? Games of all sorts, from sports to first person shooters.

2. Digital Photo Altering (Photoshop, illustrator)

3. Video Editing:

4. Speed:

5. User Interface:

6. Ease of use with operating Systems

7. Anti virus

8. Expense

9. Compatibility with programs

10. Compatibility with hardware

Please add more if you can think of different important categories!

Let this BATTLE BEGIN!!!!
Old 05-26-2009, 11:34 PM
Yeah, You've Probably Never Heard Of Me.

Car Info: 345/30/19s
http://www.thebestpageintheuniverse....gi?u=macs_cant
Old 05-26-2009, 11:38 PM

Car Info: RWD Camry
11. tech support
Old 05-26-2009, 11:46 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: '00 BRP RS Sedan / '04 PSM FXT (RIP)
Maddox FTW!

-Brian
Old 05-26-2009, 11:54 PM

Car Info: 2002 Subaru WRX PSM
where do these threads come from?!?!?! and the answer is PC, MACs are too touchy feely.
Old 05-27-2009, 12:09 AM
Yeah, You've Probably Never Heard Of Me.

Car Info: 345/30/19s
Originally Posted by Pactin
11. tech support
but but, MACs never break right? They always work and dont have any problems?? So why would they need tech support?? Thats what they say in all those commercials where the record store looking guy never talks about how macs are any better, he just makes fun of the math teacher looking guy (I mean, who would you rather hang out with, really?) about how PCs always freeze or crash, ALWAYS! I mean, I cant even remember the last time my PC crashed, but I guess Im just lucky, right?
Or maybe i just know what the hell Im doing and dont feel like spending twice as much for the same functionality but a cooler looking package.
Old 05-27-2009, 12:14 AM
VIP Member

Car Info: '00 BRP RS Sedan / '04 PSM FXT (RIP)
^seriously...I can't even remember the last time I had a "crash" or even a BSOD for that matter. That's on two different desktops (1 XP and 1 Vista) and a Vista Laptop.

-Brian
Old 05-27-2009, 12:44 AM

I will never own a Mac. It's not so much that I'm a PC loyalist. I'm not. It's that I'm not stylish enough to own one. Most iPod commercials feature guys with long hair, chicks roller skating, and guys wearing fedoras. I have dandruff, and I buy most of my jeans from a grocery store.

LMFAO! The grocery store comment killed me... lol
Old 05-27-2009, 12:48 AM

Originally Posted by JArnaud
where do these threads come from?!?!?! and the answer is PC, MACs are too touchy feely.
Uh, what do you mean where do they come from? We all use computers and it's a popular topic, especially since apple decided to launch their propaganda campaign. When I started the thread I didn't say either was better, I wanted an even battle with the theme of the most awesome show "deadliest warrior".

Anyone have any info they can add into the categories? I'd add some but I wanted to be the even-non bias guy even though I totally dislike one platform... *cough* some fruit-themed company *cough*
Old 05-27-2009, 01:18 AM

Ah, screw it. Here's my view:

1. Gaming = What platform reigns supreme in the world of gaming? Games of all sorts, from sports to first person shooters.

PC's win this category hands down, 100%. I know they make games for macs, but only about 2% of the amount that are made for PC's. PC's are the gaming mecca and blow any console or other platform out of the water in terms of performance. There are some really great consoles out right now, but a PC will always reign supreme because of it's endless ability to upgrade. I guess if you're only going to play solitare or mine sweep you can stick to a mac, but for anything else, PC wins.

2. Digital Photo Altering (Photoshop, illustrator)

Mac people always preach about how great macs are for digital photo editing because the machines are so powerful, etc. I don't understand their claim. Yes, some macs have some decent power out of the box, but for the price of that powerful mac you can make a PC that is twice as powerful and just as reliable. So how can they claim that macs are better for photo editing when the machines are slower and the PC's perform much better? For $4,000, or the price of a high end mac that's made for this sort of work, you can seriously make one HELL of a monster PC with the most cutting edge performance that's available today. I'm not saying that macs aren't capable of high performance digital editing, all I'm saying is that a PC is just as capable, and for the money, perhaps even more capable.

3. Video Editing:

Like I mentioned above, for the same price as a very high end mac that is made for video editing (highest end mac), lets throw out $5,000. The mac you'll get for that kind of money will do some AMAZING work and should be able to handle anything you throw at it. At the same time, for that kind of money you can build an amazing PC that will do everything the mac can, and then some.

The drawback with a PC is that a lot of companies sell you pre-assembled PC's loaded with a bunch of crap, and they advertise it as some super computer. To me, that's not a real PC. A real PC is a fully customized computer with all the parts you want, with none of the parts you don't. Same goes for the software installed on the machine. I know mac users will complain and say thats too complicated and difficult and they'd rather buy something that's pre-made for them, and they are willing to pay the price for it too.

Result: Both are fully qualified to do the job, however, you can make your own customized PC with everything you want, and nothing you don't for almost half the price of the mac! Only downside is that you need to build it yourself or find a company that will customize you PC to your exact specs. You'll pay more for a company to make the machine for you, but it will still be less then a mac.

I didn't include laptops to this category because anyone who's doing SERIOUS video editing shouldn't be using a laptop, they should be using a desktop power house. However, if you want to go the laptop route, there are many great PC and Apple notebooks that can be had with similar performance for a similar price (+/- 1k)

4. Speed:

PC's win in this category because there is much more available for PC's then there is for macs, and all the cutting edge stuff that comes out can be installed on a PC. From video cards, to memory, to processors and mother boards, a custom PC will kick the crap out of a comparable mac (in terms of price). My old machine that I spent 3k on building (dual video cards, maxed our highest speed memory, best mother board and processor out) literally outperformed my friend's $4,500 mac that he got almost a year after I built mine!!! He works for adobe and does video editing and digital imaging, so he bought a really high end model, yet my machine still does tasks faster then his does. This was about 3 years back so I can't quote the specs.

In the end, a PC is faster for cheaper.

5. User Interface:

In terms of how the UI looks, I guess a mac wins because of how much money they spend on stylists designing their UI... But PC's have some really good looking custom skins you can use on your machines, but this is stock Vs stock, so I guess the mac wins in terms of how pretty the UI is. If Microsoft hired more gay people the PC would win this category!

6. Ease of use with operating Systems

If two monkeys jumped on two machines, one of them a mac, and one a PC, I'm sure the monkey would figure out the mac quicker then the PC. This is because the PC has more options and is designed for more advanced (read: smart ) users. Simple design for simple people, so the mac wins this round

7. Anti virus

Since most of the world uses PCs, most viruses are designed to attack PCs and not macs. I don't even have to explain this, macs win hands down.

8. Expense

PC's win this category. Mac's are NOT cheap, and for the same price you can have a PC that outperforms a mac in almost every way.

9. Compatibility with programs

PC's win hands down. Everything is made for PC's, only certain things are made for macs. PC's win again.

10. Compatibility with hardware

As stated above, PC's win this hands down!

Remember, these are my views that come from my experiences, if you'd like to chime in, please do so! I want to hear everyone's points of views so we can get a more accurate assessment.
Old 05-27-2009, 01:19 AM

Car Info: '02 WRX wagon
PC is superior.

Inb4
Attached Thumbnails DEADLIEST WARRIOR: Mac Vs P.C., who will reign supreme?-shitstorm-flyer.jpg  
Old 05-27-2009, 01:19 AM

Originally Posted by Pactin
11. tech support
Tech support? Well, since Mac's are so great and never break, they don't have tech support, so I guess PC's have better tech support then, eh?
Old 05-27-2009, 01:28 AM

Car Info: 2002 WRX, 2014 BRZ
Mac vs PC has been discussed millions of times lol

basically it's like comparing an orange to an apple
Old 05-27-2009, 01:33 AM

Originally Posted by perry753
Mac vs PC has been discussed millions of times lol

basically it's like comparing an good computer to an apple
I fixed your quote for you.
Old 05-27-2009, 02:00 AM

Car Info: RWD Camry
Originally Posted by brucelee
Tech support? Well, since Mac's are so great and never break, they don't have tech support, so I guess PC's have better tech support then, eh?
well i dunno bout u, but my experiences w/ pc techs have always been ****ty. they dont kno wtf is wrong half the time for the smallest problems.

o and wouldnt the results b a bit skewed for interface etc? macs can run windows afterall...

Quick Reply: DEADLIEST WARRIOR: Mac Vs P.C., who will reign supreme?