Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2013, 04:32 PM

Car Info: 2004 Wrx wagoon
Originally Posted by pho_shizzle
Contributor????????? You are new here.
I haven't denied that? Is it relevant?
Old 07-28-2013, 05:00 PM

Car Info: 2004 STI
For the sake of education, I believe it is pertinent that people know what can happen to your paint if Plastic Dip goes wrong. Most looking at this product are looking for a cheap way to change the look of their car, and they don't necessarily have the funds for a $5,000 paint job if things go wrong.

Saying that, I would never use this product on the body of a car. Wheels, interior, underhood parts, sure. Just not the paint. As said earlier, this product isn't designed to cover automotive paint.
Old 07-28-2013, 05:06 PM

Mods please lock this up. Derailed.

Stupidchicken, I'm sorry if I got confrontational. All due respect.

I was really just trying to save the point of the thread and keep it from being a battle of opinions.

I may be new here, but I am not new to forums and definitely not new to cars.
Old 07-28-2013, 06:19 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: Slowly
I use Plasti-dip as lube, better grip
Old 07-28-2013, 07:09 PM

Originally Posted by Hipmvmt
Mods please lock this up. Derailed.

Stupidchicken, I'm sorry if I got confrontational. All due respect.

I was really just trying to save the point of the thread and keep it from being a battle of opinions.

I may be new here, but I am not new to forums and definitely not new to cars.
Seemed like you wanted all the "nay-sayers" to have your opinion. This is a very vocal forum, unlike all the others, people are going to post their opinions and not give a damn what you think. I much prefer that, than to having everyone be followers (lemmings if you will).

Nobody is stopping you from posting what you want. I think those colors are kinda cool. I'd be interested in what you're doing, and how. Its different than what I've seen and might be what pushes me to PD'n my wheels.
Old 07-28-2013, 07:16 PM

Car Info: A K24
Originally Posted by jdblock
Seemed like you wanted all the "nay-sayers" to have your opinion. This is a very vocal forum, unlike all the others, people are going to post their opinions and not give a damn what you think. I much prefer that, than to having everyone be followers (lemmings if you will).

Nobody is stopping you from posting what you want. I think those colors are kinda cool. I'd be interested in what you're doing, and how. Its different than what I've seen and might be what pushes me to PD'n my wheels.
He doesn't want people to see that he might be wrong about something.
Old 07-28-2013, 08:00 PM

Originally Posted by jdblock

Im sorry for seeming like such a know it all. And thank you to those warning about bad experiences with PD.

The only reason I got defensive was that I wanted to aim the thread towards people interested in messing with plasti dip and keep it away from the debate on it being good or bad. I think both sides have been argued to death in other threads and other forums. Some people don't like it, some do. If I'm wrong, so be it, I've been wrong before and will be wrong in the future.

I still have a interest in messing around with the stuff.
Old 07-28-2013, 08:37 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: non subarus
I bought a set of plastidipped wheels and man it was a pain to get the plastidip off, in fact there are still pieces stuck on there even after i soaked the wheels with wd40, solvent and then high pressured washed it. now the only way to fix those wheels is either keep re plastidipping it or get it blasted and painted.
Old 07-28-2013, 09:58 PM

How easy it is to peel off PD depends on how thick it was sprayed on. Sprayed on thin, then its harder to remove. Sprayed on in 4-6 layers, then its easier to remove.
Old 07-28-2013, 10:32 PM

Car Info: 2011 WRX Sedan
Originally Posted by Goss408
I use Plasti-dip as lube, better grip
+1 one for this
Old 07-28-2013, 11:30 PM

Car Info: 2013 WRX
Originally Posted by norcalbro
Nah, I hate it because its not paint... It's made to cover tool handles to give grip... There are many threads on plastidip ruining the paint it covers up. I hate how bad ideas become the latest fads...

Do it right, do it once.
i plasti dip all my bottles of beers and beer cans.....
Old 07-29-2013, 05:34 AM

Car Info: Forester XTi
Let me disspell a few things here by some of the idiots posting.

1)Plasti-dip will harm paint!

No, and yes. If sprayed over a paint that is already dammaged (8 year old paint job that has been in the sun its whole life) it will cause problems. If put over a good quality clearcoat, it will come off again with ZERO dammage under it.

2)OMG do it right use paint

Plasti-dip is not ment to be a paint alternitive, but rather a augment to it. As example on the Dually I drive, we wanted to change the stock chrome caps/covers to black. Enter a little cleaning and some plasti-dip, TADA now blacked out rims, look great, holds up to everything, even been offroaded and in mud no problems.

3)It fades

Again yes, and no. Will it fade, yes if left in the sun untreated. However part of the trick just like with paint is PREP. use the UV clear over the top of it and no, no it won't fade at all.

I hope this little education helps people on both sides of the plasti-dip question. Remember knowing is half the battle...don't be a F'n retard like some of the "haters" in this thread...educate yourself.
Old 07-29-2013, 05:46 AM
Technical Know-It-All

Car Info: '02 WRX + '15 WRX
Originally Posted by Overbear
Let me disspell a few things here by some of the idiots posting.

1)Plasti-dip will harm paint!

No, and yes. If sprayed over a paint that is already dammaged (8 year old paint job that has been in the sun its whole life) it will cause problems. If put over a good quality clearcoat, it will come off again with ZERO dammage under it.

2)OMG do it right use paint

Plasti-dip is not ment to be a paint alternitive, but rather a augment to it. As example on the Dually I drive, we wanted to change the stock chrome caps/covers to black. Enter a little cleaning and some plasti-dip, TADA now blacked out rims, look great, holds up to everything, even been offroaded and in mud no problems.

3)It fades

Again yes, and no. Will it fade, yes if left in the sun untreated. However part of the trick just like with paint is PREP. use the UV clear over the top of it and no, no it won't fade at all.

I hope this little education helps people on both sides of the plasti-dip question. Remember knowing is half the battle...don't be a F'n retard like some of the "haters" in this thread...educate yourself.
1. That's why someone took a several month old STI, plastidipped the entire thing, and then lost a ~8 sq inch patch of the factory paint when they pulled the plastidip off? Or people who have had sections of their wheels stripped bare by plastidip?

2. Others haven't been as lucky as you.

3. If you're going to do the full level of before and after prep required for plastidip, why not just paint it to begin with?
Old 07-29-2013, 07:00 AM

Car Info: Forester XTi
Originally Posted by Brfatal
1. That's why someone took a several month old STI, plastidipped the entire thing, and then lost a ~8 sq inch patch of the factory paint when they pulled the plastidip off? Or people who have had sections of their wheels stripped bare by plastidip?

2. Others haven't been as lucky as you.

3. If you're going to do the full level of before and after prep required for plastidip, why not just paint it to begin with?
1) bull****, that means there was a flaw in the paint to start with and it would have failed sooner or later in that spot. I suspect poor cleaning before the etching primer level at the factory. It does happen once in a while.

Wheels are a whole new matter, again its all about the clear that is on it, if any. I am willing to bet in every single incident of dammage, the wheel was not clear coated, OR was already having issues.

2) Again, prep and observation before aplication is key here.

3)lets see, because paint is 2x as expencive, because paint is 2x as suseptable to dammage, and paint can't do a few things a plasti-dip treatment can do.

Now all the above said, I say rhinoline it rather than plasti-dip. Typical bed liner aplications will last longer than paint, are stronger, and hold up under stress far better.
Old 07-29-2013, 07:55 AM

Another one who won't believe problems can happen, until it happens to them.

Lame this HAS to be brought up again. OP I feel your pain.

Quick Reply: Custom plasti dip colors anyone?