CSU East Bay or San Jose?

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2015, 04:31 PM

Car Info: 00 RS Coupe
CSU East Bay or San Jose?

Right now I'm in the central valley attending my last semester at a community college. I'm a computer science major and basically my selection has narrowed down to those 2 CSU's to transfer to. So far I'm impressed with the response I've gotten from EB after applying there and their website outlines their CS program really well. Still waiting on approval from SJ. After looking up different lists for "best universities for CS" both usually turn up around the top so I'm kinda conflicted. I hear SJ is pretty good, but have been leaning toward EB. What do you guys think? Any CS majors here that have experience with either CSU that can give me some insight on their programs? Thanks
Old 01-15-2015, 04:39 PM

Car Info: a blue car.
I've never heard any of my CS friends go to CSU EB let alone consider them, but I have heard a lot of good experience coming from those who enrolled in SJSU's CS and Engineering programs.
Old 01-15-2015, 05:00 PM

Is SJSU on a semester system? Because I believe CSUEB is on a quarter system.
Old 01-15-2015, 05:02 PM
aka FlukeWRX

Car Info: '03 WRX WRB Sedan
Originally Posted by PANGES
Is SJSU on a semester system? Because I believe CSUEB is on a quarter system.
Yes, SJSU is on Semesters (unless something's changed recently).
Old 01-15-2015, 05:19 PM

Car Info: a blue car.
All CSUs are on semester as of 2014, I believe.
Old 01-15-2015, 05:32 PM

Car Info: '08 SpecB
I've never hired (or seen a job applicant) from CSUEB.
Most of my hires are from UCD, UCLA, SJ, and Santa Clara.
Old 01-15-2015, 05:39 PM

Car Info: 2010 WRX STI
Originally Posted by gc8Ninja
Right now I'm in the central valley attending my last semester at a community college. I'm a computer science major and basically my selection has narrowed down to those 2 CSU's to transfer to. So far I'm impressed with the response I've gotten from EB after applying there and their website outlines their CS program really well. Still waiting on approval from SJ. After looking up different lists for "best universities for CS" both usually turn up around the top so I'm kinda conflicted. I hear SJ is pretty good, but have been leaning toward EB. What do you guys think? Any CS majors here that have experience with either CSU that can give me some insight on their programs? Thanks
As a Alumni of CSUEB, I would stay the hell away from the school. I wasn't a CS major, but CSUEB didn't give me the knowledge or the education I needed to be successful after college. You're probably not going to struggle like me since you're a CS major and tech is extremely hot right now, but do your research before you attend EB.

In my opinion, CSUEB is like community college 2.0. EB doesn't have the college culture that most junior college students want, since the majority of students are commuting to class.

Last edited by Smiley_Face; 01-15-2015 at 06:44 PM.
Old 01-15-2015, 06:10 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: 2000 Legacy GT, 2000 Echo 1989 Camry All-Trac
There's a reason East Bay changed its name to that, from CSU Hayward. The local talent (student) pool is on average, less than average, and anyone better than that is wise enough to get out as soon as they can.

For comp sci/engineering in general, SJSU is truly in the Silicon Valley, it'll do you well to go there.

-An SJSU Alum
Old 01-15-2015, 08:00 PM

Car Info: http://kiva.org/invitedby/brett4254
That's been talk of changing SJSU into a UC Campus. Could look better on a resume down the line
Old 01-15-2015, 08:16 PM

Car Info: 2005 STi
I transferred to East Bay from Delta and graduated in 2012. In general the support system is terrible. I got screwed by counselors telling me classes I needed that I ended up not. Once I figured it all out myself I graduated on time. So do you homework. I wanted the commuter school experience too though; I wasn't there to party and make friends.

I was a Poli Sci (pre-law) major and thought my teachers were actually pretty good overall; but not sure about CS. The GE classes were just like JC, but so are all GE classes I feel like. I mean its memorize and regurgitate.
Old 01-15-2015, 08:26 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: 2000 Legacy GT, 2000 Echo 1989 Camry All-Trac
Originally Posted by finch1750
I got screwed by counselors telling me classes I needed that I ended up not. Once I figured it all out myself I graduated on time. So do you homework. I wanted the commuter school experience too though; I wasn't there to party and make friends.
I think that may be endemic at any CSU or UC, but I personally felt it bad at SJSU. Information is spread out in splotted patchwork, held together by goopy red tape. Be ready to make a lot of calls and back and forth walking to get your answers.

And amen to commuter schooling. People seemed to complain about that with SJSU, but imo it's a feature, not a bug.
Old 01-15-2015, 08:52 PM

Car Info: 2005 STi
Originally Posted by de_engineered
I think that may be endemic at any CSU or UC, but I personally felt it bad at SJSU. Information is spread out in splotted patchwork, held together by goopy red tape. Be ready to make a lot of calls and back and forth walking to get your answers.

And amen to commuter schooling. People seemed to complain about that with SJSU, but imo it's a feature, not a bug.
Yeah, I assumed so. I finally just figured out how to use the csu assist program online to check what transferred and then found the GE pattern on the university website. Easier to get something approved than them plan it for you. Did the same with my major adviser, just took in my plan based on the program requirements for my last 3 quarters and got it OKd that it would complete everything.
Old 01-15-2015, 09:12 PM

Car Info: 2010 WRX STI
Originally Posted by finch1750
I transferred to East Bay from Delta and graduated in 2012. In general the support system is terrible. I got screwed by counselors telling me classes I needed that I ended up not. Once I figured it all out myself I graduated on time. So do you homework. I wanted the commuter school experience too though; I wasn't there to party and make friends.

I was a Poli Sci (pre-law) major and thought my teachers were actually pretty good overall; but not sure about CS. The GE classes were just like JC, but so are all GE classes I feel like. I mean its memorize and regurgitate.
I was heading down the same path as you. I majored in CJ instead of Poli Sci. CSUEB didn't provide any information regarding law school or the LSAT. I had to figure everything by myself.
Old 01-15-2015, 09:22 PM

Car Info: 93 Impreza LS, 05 WRX Wagon, 98 Impreza Wagon
OP -

Have you had the opportunity to visit each campus? If not, I suggest you go to each one and get a feeling of the campus and visit the CS department to ask questions about their program and maybe visit some of the labs/classes.

An important aspect of selecting a university is the accredidation. SJSU Engineering is fully accredited by the Engineering Accredidation Commission of ABET. You'll want to attend a university that has full accredidation so that your degree is recognized upon graduation to meet specified educational standards.

One thing to keep in mind about engineering is that the field is constantly changing and evolving such as software languages, hardware/ICs, standards and protocols etc. Think of a university education as the starting point where the professors teach you how to learn and to become self-reliant in study habits and where to look for reference material. This will come in handy when you encounter the evolving software langauges that you'll need to learn to keep up and grow your career.

Another aspect to think about is do you want to work during the summer as an intern? Both universities are in close proximity to high tech companies (SJSU in Silicon Valley and CSUEB close to SF) so you might be able to gain valuable experience (and extra cash).

Either way good luck in the future.

oh btw - SJSU is now NCAA Division 1

Last edited by Rufino O; 01-15-2015 at 09:25 PM. Reason: added D1 info
Old 01-16-2015, 03:27 AM
Old School

Car Info: '99 RBP GM6
I went to SJSU from 01-05, but I could have gone to CSUEB all the same. I have a IS degree.

I commuted to SJSU and liked my time there. Living in the east bay is cheaper and these days commute times would be terrible.

CSUEB has been overhauled a lot last 3 years. I'd check it out. The CS dept at SJSU wasn't anything to brag about, it was my first major going in. I changed my mine and went IS due to the way IT was booming.

I really feel what you get out of college is up to you. They will always be behind the times and never teach you anything truly useful. You're just getting the paper that helps an employer know you can do work. The real world is always an adjustment.

However, SJSU does have a top notch engineering Dept. If there is a field there you like, than SJSU would be much better

Quick Reply: CSU East Bay or San Jose?