Craigslist replies are such a joke

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2009, 11:30 PM

Car Info: '15 LE STI, '06 WRX White Wheeled Wagon, '06 B9
Craigslist replies are such a joke

SO i posted on ad for my PSP on craigslist last night. and this mornign i was bombarded by emails by 12 people to be exact.

MOst of them sounded similar to this:

Hello Seller,
How are you doing there?Please do you have this item available for sale.Get back to me Asap..Thanks
OR

Is your listed item still available for sale?got some interest
they never mention what I am selling. or anything. so i know this is a scam but i decide to play along anyway.

so i ask them which item are they referring to and i get 12 responses just like this

what are you talking about?i thougth you are talking about you selling the items you listed..........whats the actual price you are willling to let go then....Thanks
OR

PSP or how many item do you have on CL?

so then i reply to them that its still available
and this is the **** i get

hello
i am very happy to hear from you back....and i know its really going to a pleasure doing business with you.Well,i really want to purchase your item.For now,i am out of the States for a business in Japan.I will love to get this item and send it over to my son as a gift and surprise for his upcoming graduation in his missionary school in an African country....I hope this item is in good condition?if it is,get back to me ASAP with your PayPal email address for the payment immediately.I will offer you $500 with the shipping cost......Hope to hear from you soon.

Best Regards
Hello,
How are you and how was your day? Am serious about buying from you so i want you to take it off the Ads from Craigslist i really loved your Item so much and i do want to buy it as a gift for my grandson as a present for his graduation that just recently traveled abroad (Nigeria) Ok? Am a disable old man that just wanna send my grandson some present which wont be easy for me to go to the store to get something cool for him and to send it there a friend of mine introduced me to this which i hope it work for me... So that was why i am asking you about buying the Item now and i will be happy to offer you $450.00 for the Item and i will Offer you $150 for shipping Via Usps(EMS).I will be very much happy to make the payment for you via PayPal now online as soon as you get back to me with your PayPal email address, kindly get back to me with your PayPal email address so i could make the payment and you could receive an alert of the confirmation from PayPal OK? I will be waiting to read from you soon..... Thanks.
Nick
Hello there,
Is your item still available for sale?I am willing to buy this item,for my son located africa as his birthday Gift, I will be making the payment via PayPal and i will make additional payment of $100 for the shipping cost, So i will be making the total payment of $500 so all i need to proceed in making the payment if for you to get back to me with your PayPal information if you are a registered user of PayPal and if you are not i will advice you that PayPal is the best way to transfer and receive money online so go now and get account with them at www.paypal.com but you don't need to do this if you already have an account, Just get back to me with your PayPal account email or invoice from PayPal so i can make the transfer as soon as possible.
thankx
Really

do these people not talk to each other

"hey i am gonna be trying to scam this guy with the PSP i call dibs, you guys dont email him"

instead they all email the same bull**** story.

bunch of idoits

rant over
Old 09-05-2009, 11:55 PM

Car Info: Stage 2 '13 WRX hatch
Tell me about it

You should read this. Some somethingawful.com members got a scammer back really good >:]

http://encyclopediadramatica.com/Powerbook
Old 09-05-2009, 11:56 PM
rau
Something Custom

Car Info: You guys mad.
lol
Old 09-05-2009, 11:58 PM

Car Info: 2002 Subaru WRX PSM
Someone must be falling for it though, otherwise would they waste their time? Still, so annoying.
Old 09-06-2009, 02:22 AM

Car Info: MY00 GC6 BRP
sign them up for spam and pr0nz. and post their email up on a craiglist ad telling others to have at it with those scammers. lol
Old 09-06-2009, 02:39 AM
It's QQ thankyouverymuch

Car Info: 2011 SWP WRX Hatch
Originally Posted by Sasco
Tell me about it

You should read this. Some somethingawful.com members got a scammer back really good >:]

http://encyclopediadramatica.com/Powerbook
****ing spectacular!!!!!!! OMGWTFBBQ! FTMFW!
Old 09-06-2009, 02:54 AM

Car Info: 06 WRB
LOL WOW. i never new it was like that lol
Old 09-06-2009, 03:24 AM

Car Info: '11 White Shelby Cobra GT 500
I'm getting the same thing looking for a house. Its the same story of person in Africa saying send me all of the deposit and first and last months rent. Oh and also all of your personal info then they will send a courier to me with the keys.. ROFL NOT!! Finding a large amount of these scams..
Old 09-06-2009, 03:49 AM

Car Info: 07 legacy
Originally Posted by Gibz
I'm getting the same thing looking for a house. Its the same story of person in Africa saying send me all of the deposit and first and last months rent. Oh and also all of your personal info then they will send a courier to me with the keys.. ROFL NOT!! Finding a large amount of these scams..
im sad to say this but earlier this week someone actually lost a bunch of money like that in our area. they actually sent the money and went to go check the house out up the street from us. then they decided to ask around the neighborhood saying that they found the ad on craigslist and whatnot and everyone in the neighborhood said oh no. the story was kinda choppy cause the language barrier was just too intense. felt so bad for that lady cause she thought she got a steal on it too.
Old 09-06-2009, 04:10 AM
Friendly Neighborhood Ogre

Car Info: GUNATICS.COM
How do their scams work exactly? I always wondered...

Do they expect you to send out the item before you receive payment? If they send you $500 via paypal how do they get their money back? Stolen account? I never paid attention to these scams I just ignore them.
Old 09-06-2009, 04:44 AM

Car Info: '11 White Shelby Cobra GT 500
That's to bad.. I wonder why she didn't think it was fishy. I mean if I have to send money to a new landlord over seas I wouldn't do it. I want to meet in person. The ads we have seen I even told my husband this is to good to be true.. I have been flaging the posts but they just put more up. Just have to go by your gut feeling cus if it sounds to good to be true that's the general sign.

Originally Posted by enkeiandmore
im sad to say this but earlier this week someone actually lost a bunch of money like that in our area. they actually sent the money and went to go check the house out up the street from us. then they decided to ask around the neighborhood saying that they found the ad on craigslist and whatnot and everyone in the neighborhood said oh no. the story was kinda choppy cause the language barrier was just too intense. felt so bad for that lady cause she thought she got a steal on it too.
Old 09-06-2009, 12:12 PM

Car Info: Stage 2 '13 WRX hatch
Originally Posted by brucelee
How do their scams work exactly? I always wondered...

Do they expect you to send out the item before you receive payment? If they send you $500 via paypal how do they get their money back? Stolen account? I never paid attention to these scams I just ignore them.
Usually they set up some kind of phony escrow service website where you send them the item and when it's received they send you the money. Of course, this never happens because the website is fake . That's about the time you start ****ting bricks...