Clay Bar (and Detailing Products) Recommendations

Old 06-14-2013, 12:20 PM
I survived the Mod Challenge and all I got was this lousy title

Car Info: ...zeh car drives you!
Clay Bar (and Detailing Products) Recommendations

This will be embarrassing, but in the 15 or so years of having owning new and project cars, I never detailed (or barely washed) any of them I had my current daily driver done by Pho Shizzle a few years back, but that's the extent of it (and I haven't washed it since ). To me cars have always been tools, not jewelry.

That said...For the first time want to clean up my newest project and need recommendations on the clay bar (or other contaminants removal product) and wax to use.

From what I read thus far, many popular "consumer" tier bars (Mothers or Meguiar's) are too mild for any serious built up of contaminants. The car is 21 years old and mechanical aspects were definitely more important than visual. My intention is to simply clean it up and protect the paint…the car does need a little bit of body and paint work, so I am holding off on going all out and putting back a factory new shine for now.

I want to learn how to do it myself (even if only once ), so I am looking for recommendations. If I missed any relevant past threads, please direct me to it
Old 06-14-2013, 12:33 PM

Car Info: 2011 WRX Sedan
I've never used it before, but the detailers I go to swear by Klasse products, they're expensive as hell though.

I personally use P21S products when washing (pre-wash shampoo, car shampoo, wheel cleaner, carnabua wax) and I've been pretty satisfied with them
Old 06-14-2013, 12:35 PM

Car Info: MY00 GC6 BRP
Ill just spectate for now..........
Old 06-14-2013, 12:36 PM

Originally Posted by pho_shizzle
Ill just spectate for now..........
Some men want to watch the world burn.
Old 06-14-2013, 12:38 PM

Car Info: 2011 Lightning Red WRX
Chemical Guys products!!! Best products in my opinion!
Old 06-14-2013, 12:40 PM

Car Info: 05 wrx wagon, 90 celica alltrac, 66 mustang
I wash, clay and wax my car less than once a year. Bit all the products I use I got from detail addict.
Old 06-14-2013, 01:56 PM

So how do you judge how one product is more applicable in a situation versus the other? How do they technically/chemically differ? How is a $10 clay bar different from $100 one. That's what I am trying to understand...

I see this as no different than mechanical car parts...I wouldn't strap on a GT35R if I want to go canyon carving or auto cross. Same as I wouldn't put HerraFrush suspension on an off road camping car...

I am happy to do my own research if someone can share legitimate reading material.

Last edited by LxJLthr; 06-14-2013 at 01:58 PM.
Old 06-14-2013, 01:57 PM

I probably should have better labeled my thread as well
Old 06-14-2013, 02:01 PM

Car Info: '02 PSM WRX
Clay Magic is the original claybar, they have a patent on it. From what I've been told, all other clay is either an inferior product sold by clay magic to other clay companies or an illegal knock off. Didn't know that before I bought my Meguiars clay along time ago, but I'll be buying some Clay Magic soon.

Similarly, I bought my meguiars wax, since it was cheap at the auto store. But, it seems Collinite 845 is the best bang for the buck. Would love to hear what professional detailers use that isn't hella expensive.
Old 06-14-2013, 02:06 PM
If in doubt, FLAT OUT

Car Info: 2010 Hatch, 2011 Sedan
I use Griot's clay, speed shine spray and car wash. I've tried their Best of Show wax and it works well, but lasts about as long as one would expect, so not very long.

I have a big chunk of Mother's clay unusesd if you want it = free. It is more than enough to do one car, and likely enough to do two or more (depending on the level of contamination). You'll want some cleaning spray to go with it though.

IMO, if you just get the surface nice and clean, I think since you don't like washing, just go with a surface sealant. Lasts a heck of a lot longer than any wax, but wax still has that deep shine to it IMO.
Old 06-14-2013, 02:18 PM

Originally Posted by 04GG
I use Griot's clay, speed shine spray and car wash. I've tried their Best of Show wax and it works well, but lasts about as long as one would expect, so not very long.
I have no idea what to expect define "long"? I care more about paint proteciton/sealing than shine right now.

I have a big chunk of Mother's clay unusesd if you want it = free. It is more than enough to do one car, and likely enough to do two or more (depending on the level of contamination). You'll want some cleaning spray to go with it though.
I might just take you up on that! I will need to be in Santa Cruz both weekend days, so I will be driving through SJ.

IMO, if you just get the surface nice and clean, I think since you don't like washing, just go with a surface sealant. Lasts a heck of a lot longer than any wax, but wax still has that deep shine to it IMO.
Sorry forgot to mention that I actually already washed the car. There was no way around it with this one. Unfortunately, my only option was one of those self car washes. I didn't use the soap broom; I brought my own bucket, soap and brush. I will probably wash it once more to get it to a state where I can clay bar it. I will make a note for the surface sealant.

Last edited by LxJLthr; 06-14-2013 at 02:23 PM.
Old 06-14-2013, 02:23 PM

Originally Posted by LxJLthr

Sorry forgot to mention that I actually already washed the car. There was no way around it with this one. Unfortunately, my only option was one of those self car washes. I didn't use the soap broom; I brought my own bucket, soap and brush. I will probably wash it once more to get it to a state where I can clay bar it.
I like to start off with a high pressure hose at the public car wash places, then take it home to do the rest by hand. gets most of the dirt off on the first pass if you are thorough.
Old 06-14-2013, 02:24 PM

Originally Posted by LxJLthr
I have no idea what to expect define "long"? I care more about paint proteciton/sealing than shine right now.

I might just take you up on that! I will need to be in Santa Cruz both weekend days, so I will be driving through SJ.

Sorry forgot to mention that I actually already washed the car. There was no way around it with this one. Unfortunately, my only option was one of those self car washes. I didn't use the soap broom; I brought my own bucket, soap and brush. I will probably wash it once more to get it to a state where I can clay bar it.
And you still brought a brush...... oh god. Quick reply before the inevitable super long one.
Old 06-14-2013, 02:24 PM

Originally Posted by w0ng3r
Some men want to watch the world burn.
Yeaaa But Im watching you guys burn it
Old 06-14-2013, 02:28 PM

Originally Posted by pho_shizzle
Yeaaa But Im watching you guys burn it
Well you should chime in, cuz I know I could detail my car WAAAAY better than I currently do,

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Clay Bar (and Detailing Products) Recommendations