check out my weekend projects :D

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2004, 12:33 AM
VIP Member

Car Info: 2003 PSM STi
check out my weekend projects :D

This weekend I FINALLY got a chance to install some things that I have been sitting on for some time now, and everything went soooo smoothly, I could hardly believe it. :banana:

-Ted

STi Lower control arms
Whiteline ALK
JDM V7 STi topmount
Attached Thumbnails check out my weekend projects :D-dsc01844.png   check out my weekend projects :D-dsc01843.png   check out my weekend projects :D-dsc01842.png  

Last edited by GotBoost?; 09-13-2004 at 05:27 PM.
Old 09-13-2004, 12:34 AM
VIP Member

and my next weekend project is:
Attached Thumbnails check out my weekend projects :D-dsc01845.png  
Old 09-13-2004, 01:17 AM

Car Info: '21 STI
Nice, Ted. I installed the ALK and alum LCAs on my car and I like em. Just make sure to avoid any curbs from now on.
Old 09-13-2004, 10:20 AM
VIP Member

Thumbs up

LOL, seriously! Those buggers tend to jump out infront of you at the most random times...so far from what I can tell, the car handles awesome with the new LCAs and ALK....I havent "really" tested them out on a twisty road...but the few hard corners I have taken really impressed me, a night and day difference....and my poor nephew (he's 11)...LMAO....he wasnt expecting me to corner as hard as I did at first, and I could hear his melon whack the rear pillar, followed by a little "oooohhh".....LOL, he's a great sport, I gotta give him props.

-Ted
Old 09-13-2004, 10:22 AM
Friendly Neighborhood Ogre

Car Info: GUNATICS.COM
Originally Posted by GotBoost?
LOL, seriously! Those buggers tend to jump out infront of you at the most random times...so far from what I can tell, the car handles awesome with the new LCAs and ALK....I havent "really" tested them out on a twisty road...but the few hard corners I have taken really impressed me, a night and day difference....and my poor nephew (he's 11)...LMAO....he wasnt expecting me to corner as hard as I did at first, and I could hear his melon whack the rear pillar, followed by a little "oooohhh".....LOL, he's a great sport, I gotta give him props.

-Ted

LOL, you bastard.
Old 09-13-2004, 03:23 PM

Yeah, the car does handle better, so it seems. You should remove the subframe. I did cuz mine was bent. Anyways, it feels so much better. Less understeer which is nice in our cars. You should try some poly steering bushings, as well. Car will feel even better. I'm sure you'll like the brakes too. What's next??
Old 09-13-2004, 05:15 PM
VIP Member

Originally Posted by View Askew
Yeah, the car does handle better, so it seems. You should remove the subframe. I did cuz mine was bent. Anyways, it feels so much better. Less understeer which is nice in our cars. You should try some poly steering bushings, as well. Car will feel even better. I'm sure you'll like the brakes too. What's next??
well after the brakes, and I have a chance to save up some more cash.....

vf34
perrin fuel rails
walbro fp
PE 650 injectors
zerosports splitter
reflash w/dyno tune*
*still debating on if I wanna run engine management or just continue using the stock reflashed ECU

and a partridge in a pear tree

my ultimate goal is 300whp and over 1 lateral G for handling

-Ted
Old 09-13-2004, 05:19 PM

Sweet. I just installed injectors and a pump this weekend and had it tuned by Mike @ Gruppe-S. I ended up going w/ the ecutek. I like it. Very smooth, but I just need 2 do some things to get it just right. Which means more money that I have 2 spend, but it's worth it.
Old 09-13-2004, 05:25 PM
VIP Member

nice, what injectors did you put in? what did Gruppe-s charge for the tune? did they do a good job? what were your final numbers?

I had S^2 tune my car the first time, they did a great job, but I dont know if I wanna drive all the way to Sac for another tune.

-Ted
Old 09-13-2004, 05:50 PM

nice, what injectors did you put in? what did Gruppe-s charge for the tune? did they do a good job? what were your final numbers?

I had S^2 tune my car the first time, they did a great job, but I dont know if I wanna drive all the way to Sac for another tune.

-Ted
I put in the STi pinks. They did an awesome job and I paid 100 more the extra time spent on the dyno. Mind you, I'm still running the stock catback (but I have a dp, uppipe, headers, ebc, etc) and stock TMIC. My boost controller is weak and wouldn't hold boost so I'm going back 2 the stock boost solenoid and let the ecutek control boost. Also, I need 2 get a catback...probably go with the hush. Anyways, all that aside, I got 235whp and 269tq on 16psi. Hopefully after I get the other stuff handled I should be pushin out a little more WHP.

Paul
Old 09-13-2004, 05:56 PM
2006 Mt Hammy Car Show Winner

Car Info: Black 03 WRX, White 04 E46 M3
if your getting a vf34 don't get pe650's. STi pinks are plenty for this turbo and will be easier to tune/drive with.
Old 09-13-2004, 06:00 PM
VIP Member

Thumbs up

Nice, thats pretty good, Maybe I'll give them a shot for my tuning this time.

Thats right around where I was before I changed my TMIC but I was running 17psi, now my car is running really rich with the STI TMIC, so I figured instead of getting another reflash, then having to do it again when I get all that other stuff, I will just hold off and do it all at once. Its motivation to go out and buy all the goodies.

welp, time to go home now, hasta la pasta for now.

-Ted

edit: why not the 650's? They are a dual stage type injector, at low rpms, they run in stage 1, which is almost the same as the stock injectors, and they dont open up to the full flow until you hit full boost. So for normal daily driving, they will not be much more than the stock injectors, but at WOT, they will unleash the smackdown. That was my main reason for choosing those, plus more fuel = more powah.

Last edited by GotBoost?; 09-13-2004 at 06:06 PM.
Old 09-13-2004, 06:18 PM
2006 Mt Hammy Car Show Winner

Car Info: Black 03 WRX, White 04 E46 M3
edit: why not the 650's? They are a dual stage type injector, at low rpms, they run in stage 1, which is almost the same as the stock injectors, and they dont open up to the full flow until you hit full boost. So for normal daily driving, they will not be much more than the stock injectors, but at WOT, they will unleash the smackdown. That was my main reason for choosing those, plus more fuel = more powah.
yea thats why they are hard to tune for and hard to drive with. Because they are basically a "on/off" injector. Also maybe if you had a fp green, more fuel would = more power since you would need to use it all. With a vf34 its really not that close to maxing out the sti pinks.
Old 09-13-2004, 06:41 PM
Admin v2.0

Car Info: 02 Black Legacy GT
Ted, are you sure about them being 2 stage? Thats the first time I hear about it.

Let me explain what Dan means by "on/off" which is sort of correct, but not really.

The way the injectors work is they open and close for a certain amount of time (millisecond). When they open X amount of fuel dumps out.

Now, with a smaller injector, the minimum amount of fuel that comes out will always be n% less than with a larger injecor (where n is the % by how much the injector is larger than the smaller one).

Which means that with 660cc, you are will have harder time idling than with 550cc. However, by HARDER I don't mean bad idle. I have seen plenty of WRX's with 660cc injectors that idle fine.

That is the only side effect of running larger injectors. 660cc will be fine, however I do agree that the pinks are plenty.

So in a sense, all injectors are on/off. The difference is, how much fuel comes out during each cycle.

Also remember, that you can always bump your fuel pressure to lower the injector duty cycle.
Old 09-13-2004, 11:37 PM
VIP Member

Originally Posted by Imprezer
Ted, are you sure about them being 2 stage? Thats the first time I hear about it.

Let me explain what Dan means by "on/off" which is sort of correct, but not really.

The way the injectors work is they open and close for a certain amount of time (millisecond). When they open X amount of fuel dumps out.

Now, with a smaller injector, the minimum amount of fuel that comes out will always be n% less than with a larger injecor (where n is the % by how much the injector is larger than the smaller one).

Which means that with 660cc, you are will have harder time idling than with 550cc. However, by HARDER I don't mean bad idle. I have seen plenty of WRX's with 660cc injectors that idle fine.

That is the only side effect of running larger injectors. 660cc will be fine, however I do agree that the pinks are plenty.

So in a sense, all injectors are on/off. The difference is, how much fuel comes out during each cycle.

Also remember, that you can always bump your fuel pressure to lower the injector duty cycle.

Check it out:

The PE injectors feature a dual stage delivery system. The first stage is very similar to the stock injectors flow rates. This provides great idle in non-boost conditions. The second stage will provide greater fuel flow rates. This will provide adequate fuel during full boost conditions. This is controlled based on injector duty cycle These injectors are direct drop-ins for the WRX.

http://www.rallysportdirect.com/shop...roducts_id/789
Maybe I am understanding that all wrong, but thats what I gathered from this. <shrug> If this is not what I am understanding can you explain the 2 stage thing to me? I am just guessing here.

-Ted

Quick Reply: check out my weekend projects :D