CEL + Engine Shaking!!!

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2013, 01:42 AM

Car Info: 2002 WRX Wagon
CEL + Engine Shaking!!!

Hey guys,

I'm currently stressing the f*** out.

Here's my situation: I went to go pick up a buddy of mine from Bart and right when I turned on my car, the check engine light started blinking which was accompanied with rough idling. As I began driving, the engine started bucking horribly. I pulled over and checked the oil dip stick, which yielded no problems (there were also no leaks or anything on the driveway when I came back home). The engine was shaking abnormally when I looked under the hood.

A weird smell started filling the cabin as I returned on my route towards Bart - couldn't tell if it was coming from the exhaust or the engine but it smelled somewhat like burnt gas. I proceeded to fill up at Chevron using 91. It didn't do anything; I reluctantly limped the car all the way home and haven't touched it since.

Does anyone in the SF/Daly City have any free time tomorrow to help pull the CEL codes for me or have any clue on what's going on with my car? ANY HELP IS APPRECIATED AND WILL BE TAKEN SERIOUS. A FIX WILL BE COMPENSATED WITH BEER (or anything that floats your boat).

2002 WRX wagon with 130,xxx miles. My only engine mods are a koyo radiator, cbe, and a short ram intake.

Hope to hear something soon!

Austin

Last edited by SFGatdula; 09-05-2013 at 05:29 PM.
Old 09-05-2013, 01:47 AM

Car Info: 06 STI
For now avoid driving if possible as it seems to be a severe misfire which can cause a lot of issues. Mostly with the cat but prolonged use while misfiring cause cause engine damage as well. Check all wiring to the plugs and see if something came lose. It most likely is a dead coil.
Old 09-05-2013, 03:18 AM

Car Info: 12Teens crazy 4 me
I'd offer to help with a OBD2 scanner if you weren't so far. And my knowledge of cars is next to none.
Old 09-05-2013, 03:21 AM

Car Info: $2000 hawkeye
misfire. One timing belt tooth off?
Old 09-05-2013, 05:26 AM

Car Info: 06 WRB Wagon #wackfitmentsteex
Originally Posted by Kevoscoob
For now avoid driving if possible as it seems to be a severe misfire which can cause a lot of issues. Mostly with the cat but prolonged use while misfiring cause cause engine damage as well. Check all wiring the plugs and see if something came lose. It most likely is a dead coil.
+1 for ignition coils.
Old 09-05-2013, 06:00 AM

Car Info: Forester XTi
Ignition coils....or...you broke one of the ring lands on a piston. That is exactly what my FXT did, time to do a leakdown test.
Old 09-05-2013, 06:22 AM

Car Info: '02 PSM WRX
Doesn't happen very often, but when my DP cat failed and became a big ball of crap that clogged my DP, something similar happened. It was accompanied with a slight exhaust leak sound, I'm guessing since exhaust gasses weren't able to flow out the exhaust it start pushing past the gaskets. I had almost no power though, couldn't get more than 1 block before not feeling comfortable enough to drive it an inch further.
Old 09-05-2013, 07:43 AM

Car Info: wrx
I live in the south bay. I have a spare ODB2 reader I could sell you cheap but I personally would not be able to git it to you until the weekend.
Old 09-05-2013, 07:51 AM

Car Info: 06 STI
Also, any aamco reads codes for free. I forgot about that last night.. But only if you HAVE to drive to get the code read.
Old 09-05-2013, 08:43 AM

Car Info: 06 WRB Wagon #wackfitmentsteex
Originally Posted by Kevoscoob
Also, any aamco reads codes for free. I forgot about that last night.. But only if you HAVE to drive to get the code read.
True, most places will read your codes for free. Idk if it's your only car, but your probably best off getting it towed to whatever shop you'd want the work done at. No use limping somewhere, only to find out you need the repair elsewhere.
Old 09-05-2013, 08:51 AM

Car Info: 2002 Impreza RS, 2005 Impreza RS-20K
if your CEL was not blinking, then the coils should be fine. misfires will blink the CEL instead of steady illumination. im going with maybe a skipped tooth? in terms of the shaking, it could be a number of things. but no use guessing if there IS a code present. pull it and update this thread! : banana:

edit: ""Here's my situation: I went to go pick up a buddy of mine from Bart and right when I turned on my car, the check engine light started blinking which was accompanied with rough idling. As I began driving, the engine started bucking horribly.""

im just...going to go make some coffee....jesus. LOL

Last edited by 02RS25; 09-05-2013 at 08:57 AM.
Old 09-05-2013, 08:54 AM
iClub Silver Vendor

Car Info: A Laptop
Definately a major missfire. It needs to be properly diagnosed, but I would start with plugs and coil packs.

-- Ed
Old 09-05-2013, 08:57 AM

Car Info: 2002 Impreza RS, 2005 Impreza RS-20K
Originally Posted by eq tuning
definately a major missfire. It needs to be properly diagnosed, but i would start with plugs and coil packs.

-- ed
+1.
Old 09-05-2013, 01:07 PM

Car Info: 2002 WRX Wagon
Alright,

I spoke to Ed from EQ over the phone and I am currently taking the bus over to Auto Zone to pick up a code reader. Crossing my fingers that it isn't anything major; just the coil packs or plugs.

Last edited by SFGatdula; 09-05-2013 at 01:17 PM.
Old 09-05-2013, 01:17 PM
General Pimpin'

Car Info: MY04 aspen wrx wagon.
Originally Posted by Overbear
Ignition coils....or...you broke one of the ring lands on a piston. That is exactly what my FXT did, time to do a leakdown test.
This...

And in the future... CEL on... not a huge deal usually. Check it and fix it. CEL blinking... big deal. Means turn your car off and have it towed to a shop.

You'll be lucky if you didn't do more damage to your vehicle while driving it.

Can you get a video? Is there any smoke out of the tail pipe? What color?

What happens when you open your upper coolent res while it's running?

Usually bucking like that is a misfire. Hopefully you didn't pull some teeth off the belt. How many miles on the timing belt? It's more likely for it to skip a tooth or bust teeth off during start up.

Quick Reply: CEL + Engine Shaking!!!