Cash for Clunkers Program: CARS.gov

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2009, 09:37 AM
Old School

Car Info: '99 RBP GM6
Cash for Clunkers Program: CARS.gov

So my family has an old van that failed smog, total gross polluter. Was going to give it away since it's a 95 6cyl ford clubwagon, that runs, but it's worthless. $1500 at fair condition, it's really in poor condition, AND it's a damn gross polluter.

So, why not trade it in under CARS, and be done with it? It's under my dad's name, who passed away a few months ago. I'm still working on stuff legally, and soon my mom or I will have executor status to the estate, and then we can put our name on the van's title.

So, got a little time before I can act on this, but I feel this is definitely the way to go for our situation.

Anyone have any advice on handling the legal aspects of loved one who's passed or have any input on the CARS programs.
Old 07-30-2009, 09:42 AM

Car Info: Honda
no actual experience, but I do know you need to own the car for at least 1year (to prevent people from buying "clunkers" just to trade in, so I'm not sure if they will allow you to use your dads van or not, even tho you did not buy it (obviously) to just trade in.
Old 07-30-2009, 10:23 AM
Old School

The rule is you must own the car at trade it, and it must be insured for at least 1 year and can be insured under a different name.

So the van was insured for years under my dad, once I have the ability to add my name to the title, I should then be set, since I'll be a part owner and the van will have proof of insurance for a year under my dad.
Old 07-30-2009, 10:54 AM

Car Info: ugly piece of ****
I just read that an E30 M3 (Evo2 and Evo3) is eligible for trade in. If anyone wants to dump theirs, Ill pay more than the government will...
Old 07-30-2009, 11:11 AM

Car Info: Smokin' Joe
There is an mpg requirement. There was a story a couple days ago about a couple who traded in their 18 mpg car but then they changed it to 19mpg. in the end, they had to either trade the car back for their old one, or pay 4500 to keep the car. unless im thinking of something else.....
Old 07-30-2009, 11:12 AM
BanHammer™

Car Info: 2001 Forester RS2 SPEC-F
Originally Posted by papakiet
There is an mpg requirement. There was a story a couple days ago about a couple who traded in their 18 mpg car but then they changed it to 19mpg. in the end, they had to either trade the car back for their old one, or pay 4500 to keep the car. unless im thinking of something else.....
er.. link to this story please, as far as I know its 18mpg as the cut-off
Old 07-30-2009, 11:15 AM

Car Info: 08 silver sti
all the info you need is on http://www.cars.gov/
Old 07-30-2009, 11:27 AM

Car Info: silver 2.5 tr 2006MT wrx
oooooooohhhh this is one is a good one. my friend sell cars, and my other friend finanaces them, they both love this one. it starts out that program started say june 1st, people wewnt to take in their cars, get the trade in. they had no real rules then, for like week and a half, so soem cars got taken, but the rules they had changed, so some of the ones that were borderline were now no longer exceptable, but they took the cars in anyway, people got effed. the othere thing is the standard for the mpg, is not what the manufactorer said it is it is what the gov says it is for that car. some mpgs changed over night.

the other thing is once they take the car, they have to destroy the engine and the tranny. they have to dump this **** in to the mnoter to seize it along witht he tranny.

i wnated to go there and dump the oil and redline one to see how long it would take but this stuff takeslike 3 minutes to wreck them.
Old 07-30-2009, 12:00 PM
Token Toyota Mod

Car Info: Something german
Originally Posted by subaruwrx
I just read that an E30 M3 (Evo2 and Evo3) is eligible for trade in. If anyone wants to dump theirs, Ill pay more than the government will...
and so is my 2005 STi

I was wondering if they would give me the clunker credit along with the trade in value if i traded it
Old 07-30-2009, 12:03 PM
Old School

Originally Posted by soggynoodles
and so is my 2005 STi

I was wondering if they would give me the clunker credit along with the trade in value if i traded it
nope, any car that takes the credit MUST be crushed.
Old 07-30-2009, 12:08 PM

Car Info: 96 gm(sold), 98 bk, 02 sf
I was checking this out yesterday. Aside from the 1 year of insurance, registration, and mileage requirement, there is a distinction between if you get 3500 or 4500. I think you get 3500 if the car you buy is 4-9 mpg better and 4500 if higher (might be a little off on the mpgs). Also you can't buy a car over 45k or so and has average mpg under 18mpg.
Old 07-30-2009, 12:17 PM
iClub Silver Vendor

Car Info: 2005 LGT wagon
Such a horrible waste of taxpayer money...
Old 07-30-2009, 12:20 PM
Old School

Originally Posted by Paul@dbtuned
Such a horrible waste of taxpayer money...
Don't believe in getting rid of gas guzzling vehicles eh?

This is much better than giving money to any company.
Old 07-30-2009, 12:27 PM
9 to 5 mod

Car Info: 03 Impreza WRX
Originally Posted by pablo_her
all the info you need is on http://www.cars.gov/
yup simple just clikc

sorry to hear about your dad
Old 07-30-2009, 12:44 PM
iClub Silver Vendor

Car Info: 2005 LGT wagon
Originally Posted by joltdudeuc
Don't believe in getting rid of gas guzzling vehicles eh?

This is much better than giving money to any company.
The gov't is giving the auto companies money.

The $1 billion program would therefore be spending $20,000 to foster the sale of each additional car.

CARS requires only a 10 mpg improvement in fuel efficiency for passenger cars and 2 mpg for trucks.

"You can turn in a 14-mile-per-gallon gas guzzler for a 16-mile-per-gallon gas guzzler, with the taxpapers subsidizing your purchase," said Ann Mesnikoff, director of the Sierra Club's green transportation campaign.

The Obama administration expects the plan to boost sales by 250,000 over the next three months by providing rebates of up to $4,500 for new-car buyers trading in old models with a combined fuel economy of 18 miles per gallon or less

Quick Reply: Cash for Clunkers Program: CARS.gov