Car Rental?

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2013, 02:39 PM
General Pimpin'

Car Info: MY04 aspen wrx wagon.
Car Rental?

I have only rented a car a couple times in my life... any advice?

Basically... I have to drive about 800-850 miles in the next few days.

My choices are this...
1. Take my car. It's got 221k on it and it's tire. But I have faith. Downside... no stereo (cuzrayzcar). It might blow up. supreme gas.
2. Take my wife's forester. Upside is gas savings would be about $75. Downside... tires are near end of life and I don't want to cash them out in 2 days and I'd have to lave my wife with my car. Don't want to do that.
3. Take my dad's truck. Downside is it gets about 16mpg. Upside... I'm not putting miles on my car or my wife's car. LOL! But I'd have to leave my dad with my car. He's driven it before but I really don't want him stuck with it.

I could give my wife my dad's truck and take her car.

Option 4 is I rent something. But I don't want some POS that can't get over the grape vine and if it's gonna cost me $100 to rent something for 3 day the gas savings isn't really there anymore.

So... anyone have a trailer? Pick my car up on the grapevine if I blow up?

Or anyone got mad hook ups on rentals?
Old 03-27-2013, 02:56 PM
Former Sponsor

Car Info: WRX, EVO, MSP3
Originally Posted by OneManArmy
I have only rented a car a couple times in my life... any advice?

Basically... I have to drive about 800-850 miles in the next few days.

My choices are this...
1. Take my car. It's got 221k on it and it's tire. But I have faith. Downside... no stereo (cuzrayzcar). It might blow up. supreme gas.
2. Take my wife's forester. Upside is gas savings would be about $75. Downside... tires are near end of life and I don't want to cash them out in 2 days and I'd have to lave my wife with my car. Don't want to do that.
3. Take my dad's truck. Downside is it gets about 16mpg. Upside... I'm not putting miles on my car or my wife's car. LOL! But I'd have to leave my dad with my car. He's driven it before but I really don't want him stuck with it.

I could give my wife my dad's truck and take her car.

Option 4 is I rent something. But I don't want some POS that can't get over the grape vine and if it's gonna cost me $100 to rent something for 3 day the gas savings isn't really there anymore.

So... anyone have a trailer? Pick my car up on the grapevine if I blow up?

Or anyone got mad hook ups on rentals?
Hey if it's over the weekend and you blow something up call me I'm a little over an hour out from the grapevine!
Old 03-27-2013, 03:01 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: non subarus
if you posted this earlier, avis had a free 2 day weekend rental that expired yesterday
Old 03-27-2013, 03:06 PM
Loves the Anime

Car Info: STWODUCES
OFFICIAL Hertz Car Rental Discount Code & Coupons
Old 03-27-2013, 03:19 PM
General Pimpin'

Originally Posted by kspek
if you posted this earlier, avis had a free 2 day weekend rental that expired yesterday
noooooo!!!!!!!
Old 03-27-2013, 03:21 PM
General Pimpin'

Originally Posted by GST Motorsports
Hey if it's over the weekend and you blow something up call me I'm a little over an hour out from the grapevine!
Have fun man. Should be a killer weekend. When you flying out?

If I go boom I'll give you a ring.
Old 03-27-2013, 03:23 PM
General Pimpin'

Originally Posted by mistaanime
Those are like 6 years old?
Old 03-27-2013, 03:25 PM
Former Sponsor

Have fun man. Should be a killer weekend. When you flying out?

If I go boom I'll give you a ring.
I'm in LA every weekend, Fly out Friday nights and arrive back Monday morning in time to open the shop!
Old 03-27-2013, 03:33 PM
General Pimpin'

I'm in LA every weekend, Fly out Friday nights and arrive back Monday morning in time to open the shop!
Crazy man. I hope the car is coming together good. I'm stoked to see how you guys do.
Old 03-27-2013, 03:35 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: 2018 Golf R Variant
I've stuck with Enterprise most of the time for the last 12 years or so. What I do is call around as you can usually get WAAAY better prices and/or special deals when you call in. For example I often rent full-size pickups as I do not drive one usually so it's fun to have something different (and huge). I usually get cars from the Belmont branch on Harbor, and sometimes when calling in if they don't have a truck they will offer something else cool or a free premium upgrade to something else (got a Mercedes C-class once, Volvo S80 T6 another time). Last time I rented was from Burbank airport area and I got a Fiat 500. It was awesome and I liked it so much, I kept it for a while and actually put around 850 miles on it. No problem over the grapevine or anywhere else, and I even drove it over 80 into Reno through snow and ice. Super fun car.

When we go for a road trip, we almost always rent something. There is almost always a rock into the windshield or seven broken down cars like mine along the way that makes me feel like this was the right thing to do even if I did not save money on gas or what-have-you. Breaking down far away sucks loads.

Best of luck! Back in the day you could get Rangers from Budget at the SJ airport for $25/day and have some fun @ Hollister, but those days are done.

Old 03-27-2013, 03:44 PM
Loves the Anime

Car Info: STWODUCES
Those are like 6 years old?
no. they update it. check the last thread.
Old 03-27-2013, 03:46 PM
General Pimpin'

Originally Posted by wombatsauce
I've stuck with Enterprise most of the time for the last 12 years or so. What I do is call around as you can usually get WAAAY better prices and/or special deals when you call in. For example I often rent full-size pickups as I do not drive one usually so it's fun to have something different (and huge). I usually get cars from the Belmont branch on Harbor, and sometimes when calling in if they don't have a truck they will offer something else cool or a free premium upgrade to something else (got a Mercedes C-class once, Volvo S80 T6 another time). Last time I rented was from Burbank airport area and I got a Fiat 500. It was awesome and I liked it so much, I kept it for a while and actually put around 850 miles on it. No problem over the grapevine or anywhere else, and I even drove it over 80 into Reno through snow and ice. Super fun car.

When we go for a road trip, we almost always rent something. There is almost always a rock into the windshield or seven broken down cars like mine along the way that makes me feel like this was the right thing to do even if I did not save money on gas or what-have-you. Breaking down far away sucks loads.

Best of luck! Back in the day you could get Rangers from Budget at the SJ airport for $25/day and have some fun @ Hollister, but those days are done.

I was just on Hotwire and they have deals for $12-15 a day. Which is rad. But it doesn't say exactly what car you get. I don't want to show up and be like... yaris. **** that!

A fiat 500 is exactly what I had in mind. Enough pep to get around and should get solid mpg all the way there and back. Or the hopes was to get something and try to talk my way in to an upgrade.

Got bumped from a jeep to a convertible once and we got offered a charger rt down in la instead of the traverse we got. But we had 4 people and luggage... charger no bueno.

So I can either do the hotwire deal and cross my fingers or just call some places... only problem is I can't get to the phone calls for another couple horus.
Old 03-27-2013, 03:51 PM

Car Info: 05 wrx wagon, 90 celica alltrac, 66 mustang
Heading to LA? Take the highspeed rail, oh wait.....
Old 03-27-2013, 03:55 PM
Former Sponsor

Why not fly down there? I fly Jet blue out of Oakland into Long Beach and it's awesome and cheap!
Old 03-27-2013, 04:01 PM
General Pimpin'

Why not fly down there? I fly Jet blue out of Oakland into Long Beach and it's awesome and cheap!
I have to get out to the valley..

Basically... thursday I'm going to Moreno Valley or whatever the hell it is over by Riverside. Then I have to drive to San Dimas on Friday morning. Then back to Moreno Valley Friday night. Then drive home Sat.

So I'd have to rent a car to get around down there anyways.

I thought about it though. Too much back and forth... plus... I need the time in the car to digest wtf is going on. Heavy trip to tell you the truth.

Quick Reply: Car Rental?