Camera/Lens recomendations for aspiring photographer

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2008, 11:42 PM
I survived the Mod Challenge and all I got was this lousy title

Car Info: ...zeh car drives you!
Talking Camera/Lens recomendations for aspiring photographer

I am looking to upgrade my manual film cameras to something (as much as I hate to say it) digital that still gives me good control over the pictures I take. I have NO clue what's out there since I have used the same manual camera for the last 10 years and need advice on joining the 21st century...

As a brief background...I am not a total photography n00b, but my most of my experience is with manual film shooting. I am familiar with all of the basics; I have taken photography classes, did it for clubs/organizations in college and shot on/off since than. However, up to this point I only used old school 100% manual film cameras (2 Minoltas) and my digital point and shoot. Unfortunately, I no longer have space or time for a dark room, film development, digital conversion, etc...and want a good digital option.

Therefore, I need advice on a good basic/starter SLR or digital camera with manual options and 1 or 2 good lenses. I do not have a slightest clue what is out there and do not have a lot of spare time right now to start researching from scratch. Since there are tons of great shooters on i-Club, I thought I tap this resource first...Any suggestions, advices, experiences, sources, articles, etc to point me in a good direction are welcome!!!
Old 10-12-2008, 11:57 PM

Car Info: 2021 Ascent
www.dcresource.com

www.dpreview.com
Old 10-13-2008, 12:19 AM

Car Info: 2016 WRX, 2014 lifter forester XT, 2005 JDM207 WGN
d80!
Old 10-13-2008, 12:26 AM

Car Info: 05 wrx wagon
I just picked up the new Canon Rebel. Must say, it's pretty sweet. Not TOO pricey, kinda was for my ***. I got the standard 18-50mm lens, as for fish eye (my wishlist) the Sigma 10mm is the one. Also a macro lens is a sweet thing to have, and of course a telephoto if you got $crip to blow. ramble ramble, I'm stoked w/ what I got
Old 10-13-2008, 05:26 AM

Car Info: A crazy ass wagon ! Voltex and 18x9.5 +22 FTW !
I love my D80.... i still haven't figured out all the features and i still get great shots lol
Old 10-13-2008, 07:51 AM
Old School

Car Info: '99 RBP GM6
Nikon D80/D90

Canon 40D/50D

a nice ultra zoom like the Nikon 18-200 VR or the Canon 18-200 IS
Old 10-13-2008, 07:52 AM

Car Info: 2008 WRX
I know its super expensive, but my fiancee just got the Nikon D3. Its one of the super cars of the DSLR world.

The D80s are really nice cameras, the cannon rebles are on the same range I think.

If your looking for somthing a little better with more features but not at the crazy pro level of skill and price you might wqant to check out the Nikon D300. I dont know what the Cannon competition is.

Im sure MyNikonLens will have alot to say about this...
Old 10-13-2008, 08:10 AM
VIP Member

Car Info: 2018 Golf R Variant
There are also some smokin' deals on CL right now, a buddy just picked up a pretty new Rebel XSi w/ a 70-200 f/4L and the kit lens for around $1k.

To the OP, everyone's suggestions are great but PLEASE before you buy, go to somewhere like San Jose Camera or Keeble and Shuchat and play with all the models you are considering first before purchasing. You will probably favor the controls and feel of a particular camera body over another, and that's important stuff...
Old 10-13-2008, 08:13 AM

Originally Posted by MrPrimus
I know its super expensive, but my fiancee just got the Nikon D3. Its one of the super cars of the DSLR world.

The D80s are really nice cameras, the cannon rebles are on the same range I think.

If your looking for somthing a little better with more features but not at the crazy pro level of skill and price you might wqant to check out the Nikon D300. I dont know what the Cannon competition is.

Im sure MyNikonLens will have alot to say about this...
Thanks for everybody's input this far! I definitely cannot handle any super car/pro level cameras right now (why buy a Ferrari if I can barely drive a Civic )...I not looking for the cheapest things either since you get what you pay for...I want something I can pick up without a super steep learning curve, but still have headroom as I learn more...Looks like I already have couple option to explore

Originally Posted by wombatsauce
There are also some smokin' deals on CL right now, a buddy just picked up a pretty new Rebel XSi w/ a 70-200 f/4L and the kit lens for around $1k.

To the OP, everyone's suggestions are great but PLEASE before you buy, go to somewhere like San Jose Camera or Keeble and Shuchat and play with all the models you are considering first before purchasing. You will probably favor the controls and feel of a particular camera body over another, and that's important stuff...
Yeah, definitely agree on the trying out part. But like I said, there are a gazillion cameras out there and I needed some direction as where to start.

Last edited by LxJLthr; 10-13-2008 at 08:16 AM.
Old 10-13-2008, 08:13 AM

^^ AKA test drive drive before you buy!
Old 10-13-2008, 08:21 AM
VIP Member

Car Info: 2018 Golf R Variant
Originally Posted by LxJLthr
Yeah, definitely agree on the trying out part. But like I said, there are a gazillion cameras out there and I needed some direction as where to start.
Totally, once you narrow it down by price/feature type things, it's time to try the remaining contenders out in a store.. Costco is also great for prices if they have the model you want..
Old 10-13-2008, 08:23 AM

Car Info: New Government Motors SUV!
Find the lens you want first. Then find the camera to match it.
Old 10-13-2008, 08:26 AM

Car Info: E46 M. E36 M. E30. SW20. 92 VWCab.08 Civic HYBRID
For a beginner to digital SLR, I would recommend the most inexpensive Canon which right now is the XSI. It comes with a kit lense 18 - 55mm. No need to go all out for your first camera, unless that is your preference.
Old 10-13-2008, 08:40 AM

Originally Posted by wombatsauce
Totally, once you narrow it down by price/feature type things, it's time to try the remaining contenders out in a store.. Costco is also great for prices if they have the model you want..
Last time i was at Costco they had a pretty sweet deal on the D80, it was the body, 2 lenses, bag, and some other stuff for pretty cheap. Check out there web site im sure its on it still.
Old 10-13-2008, 09:09 AM

Originally Posted by RaginBull
For a beginner to digital SLR, I would recommend the most inexpensive Canon which right now is the XSI. It comes with a kit lense 18 - 55mm. No need to go all out for your first camera, unless that is your preference.
No, going all out is not my way...My highest spending ceiling right now is about $1k with everything, but I am not sure if that is even feasible. I am not in a hurry to buy, the earliest I will get it is Christmas/New Years...

Quick Reply: Camera/Lens recomendations for aspiring photographer