Broken endlinks

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2017, 10:13 PM

Broken endlinks

Has anyone had issues with whiteline endlinks. I heard a pop under my car while taking a corner. After getting back to my house and investigating my suspension I noticed both of my rear endlinks had snapped. After emailing whiteline they insisted that they were installed incorrectly. I know they were installed properly. Now I'm getting the run-around. I just ordered a set of Kartboy endlinks. I am convinced that whiteline endlinks are garbage.
Old 03-30-2017, 02:41 AM

Car Info: Forester XTi
To be honest, looking at the way the wear on the threads shown is, and the fact one of them is crossthreaded to hell. I would lean to them being installed wrong also.
Old 03-30-2017, 04:57 AM

Originally Posted by Overbear
To be honest, looking at the way the wear on the threads shown is, and the fact one of them is crossthreaded to hell. I would lean to them being installed wrong also.
None of the threads are damaged or crossthreaded. All hardware moves freely. They were installed properly following the instructions from whiteline. Just a poor quality product.
Old 03-30-2017, 07:36 AM

Uh, what picture are you looking at?

Upper right threads, I see 3-4 loops flattened out and damaged.
Lower left of picture, that whole bolt is cross threaded. You can see the threads clear as day.

Clearly some lateral torque was being put to that link that broke. Look at the shear lines in the metal. That means one of two things happened.

1)it was installed incorrectly
2)You have a component moving/bent/out of alignment. Perhaps a bushing that is worn causing the arm to move in and out some.

Not saying you didn't get a bad product (metallurgy) but the picture you posted clearly shows a host of issues going on. You spend as much time building rock crawlers and race cars as I have you get a eye for issues like this.
Old 03-30-2017, 07:50 AM

What I am trying to say is, look for what CAUSED the part to fail. It didn't just up and bend/snap like that on its own. Something was applying forces to it in a direction it is not designed to work with. Parts don't just up and fail for zero reason, there is something behind it.

Bad design: we would see thousands of them fail like this
Bad metal: manufacture would have seen hundreds fail and have replacements ready.
Connected component fail: this is likely where the issue is.
Old 03-30-2017, 08:37 AM
It's QQ thankyouverymuch

Car Info: 2011 SWP WRX Hatch
I'm worried as my roommate just gave me a set of these. I already have a set of spherical endlinks (KLC066) but they make a lot of noise. I also did manage to snap one of the bolts on them. But that bolt has since been replaced.

I'm curious though. When they were installed, did they have both spacers on one side like pictured now? My roommate's were configured the same way. I feel like these are supposed to have one spacer on either side.
Old 03-30-2017, 08:40 AM
Call me Pebbles

Car Info: Moist
I'm with Overbear on this one: "whiteline [sic] endlinks are garbage" is not the root cause. Also, the picture you posted does appear to show the threads, at least on the lower left, to be pretty severely damaged/crossthreaded. If you want to post another picture with the nuts off (calm down, Alain ) to show that they are not damaged, then we can rule out improper installation and move forward.

As far as my $0.02 goes, Whiteline has a solid reputation for making quality products. Of all the parts on my car, the Whiteline parts are among the few parts I have of which I have no complaints about regarding quality, fit, and/or performance.
Old 03-30-2017, 09:12 AM
General Pimpin'

Car Info: MY04 aspen wrx wagon.
Originally Posted by Rev. Rob Large
I'm with Overbear on this one: "whiteline [sic] endlinks are garbage" is not the root cause. Also, the picture you posted does appear to show the threads, at least on the lower left, to be pretty severely damaged/crossthreaded. If you want to post another picture with the nuts off (calm down, Alain ) to show that they are not damaged, then we can rule out improper installation and move forward.

As far as my $0.02 goes, Whiteline has a solid reputation for making quality products. Of all the parts on my car, the Whiteline parts are among the few parts I have of which I have no complaints about regarding quality, fit, and/or performance.

Actually... I do recall hearing that those endlinks were garbage. And I'm a huge whiteline fan. Pretty much all of my suspension is whiteline. But these are not as good as the nice solid ones on the older cars. They're weird *** parts designed for eventual failure regardless of the manufacturer. It's way too much pressure to put on essentially a bolt.

When these first started coming out I read quite a few posts and threads about them sucking. And my response was always like yours.... whiteline has a great reputation and makes great stuff. It must be something else. It's not. Those endlinks suck.

But I will say this... send them to whiteline. If it was a materials failure they'll take care of you.

So, I honestly wouldn't just jump straight at it being all this dudes fault. It could be or it could be a materials failure considering they both popped.

Hell there was a thread about it here talking about going kartboy or whiteline with this generation endlink and a few people talked about bends and failures... quality issues, etc at that point.

But if their was indeed damage to those threads.... then something else was probably the problem... not whiteline.

Me... all my whiteline stuff is top notch. I've switched pretty much every suspension brand off my car over to whiteline. The only other parts I'd consider at this point are superpro.
Old 03-30-2017, 09:22 AM

OneManArmy,

I get what you are saying, and perhaps the links are "bad" but.. going by that picture it is pretty clear they were damaged on install (stripped threads) and put under unusual load. We need real answers not..."well my brothers ex roommate told us they would break"
Old 03-30-2017, 11:01 AM
If in doubt, FLAT OUT

Car Info: 2010 Hatch, 2011 Sedan
I was talking to Mann Engineering while I was getting my tune and he also mentioned they had seen some of these break too; not sure if it is the same break point or not, but worth contacting whiteline for again. I see the crossthreading too, but I don't think that's related to the break.

What size bar? I had these on my FXT for a long time without issue and I think they released a revised version of them. I can see it breaking the other side too if one was installed wrong, especially with a larger bar.

Last edited by 04GG; 03-30-2017 at 11:07 AM.
Old 03-30-2017, 11:15 AM
It's QQ thankyouverymuch

I also find it interesting that both broke. To me, only one should break. Having one effectively disconnected would take whatever load off the other. With both broken, that leads me to believe that there was something wrong with the geometry and that lead to the failure, not the stress of the sway bar.
Old 03-30-2017, 11:18 AM
It's QQ thankyouverymuch

Originally Posted by 04GG
I was talking to Mann Engineering while I was getting my tune and he also mentioned they had seen some of these break too; not sure if it is the same break point or not, but worth contacting whiteline for again. I see the crossthreading too, but I don't think that's related to the break.

What size bar? I had these on my FXT for a long time without issue and I think they released a revised version of them. I can see it breaking the other side too if one was installed wrong, especially with a larger bar.
From what I can tell, these are the latest revision of their "Heavy Duty Endlink". I have the original revision and they're holding fine. I did snap a bolt on one of them. The bolt broke, not the endlink. The downside with the older version, they click a lot.
Old 04-05-2017, 10:36 AM
General Pimpin'

Car Info: MY04 aspen wrx wagon.
Originally Posted by JourdanWithaU
I also find it interesting that both broke. To me, only one should break. Having one effectively disconnected would take whatever load off the other. With both broken, that leads me to believe that there was something wrong with the geometry and that lead to the failure, not the stress of the sway bar.
More than likely you're right. The way they're snapped it looks like the torque load was angled.

But it's worth talking to Whiteline.

For us... there's really know way to know if they were on right since we don't have any photos of them installed.

This is why I upgraded all my parts down there. LOL! And all whiteline. LOL>