Boxing hand wraps

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2004, 12:00 AM
VIP Member

Car Info: Corvette Z51
Boxing hand wraps

Total martial arts n00b question: Anyone have a step-by-step guide or instructions for hand wrapping? I feel like a real rookie having the instructor help me wrap I know it takes time to memorize it, but (don't laugh now) I kinda wanna practice at home 'til I've got it down pat. Thanks in advance!
Oh, and just a strange question: is there any way to wash the inside of a boxing glove? After a few sessions, I'm sure it'll smell like the devil's *** hole
Old 07-09-2004, 12:11 AM
VIP Member

Car Info: 04 wrx WRBlue ~v34 sold/ 05evo MR ^_^
use a condom?
Old 07-09-2004, 12:12 AM
VIP Member

Car Info: 04 wrx
lol, use febreeze to keep it from stinking, and some foot spray too to keep any stuff from growing in there.

as to wrapping ive always thought it was more of a personal preference than a specific art. Try doing it different ways and see what feels best for you. Make sure your wrists are supported is the most important thing IMO

Do you have the wraps with the finger loop on the end? The way i like to do it is loop it on my pinkie, go over the back of my hand to where the thumb meets the wrist, do the wrist, then work in the rest of the hand as you feel comfortable.
Old 07-09-2004, 12:36 AM
VIP Member

Car Info: Corvette Z51
Marco, you're ignorant and you know it
Damaged Goods, thanks for the insight. I know everyone wraps it a bit differently, but I just kinda wanted a general template that I could follow and then experiment with 'til I found a method that I'd like best.
Old 07-09-2004, 12:48 AM

Car Info: civic
maybe brucelee knows.
Old 07-09-2004, 12:55 AM
VIP Member

Car Info: 04 wrx WRBlue ~v34 sold/ 05evo MR ^_^
Originally Posted by Choku Dori
Marco, you're ignorant and you know it
Damaged Goods, thanks for the insight. I know everyone wraps it a bit differently, but I just kinda wanted a general template that I could follow and then experiment with 'til I found a method that I'd like best.
i know i am
Old 07-09-2004, 12:57 AM
VIP Member

Car Info: silver MIAMI wrx in the bay area
ryan, you are still up?
Old 07-09-2004, 01:40 AM
VIP Member

Ask one of your instructors. Its kind of hard to expain in words. Personally I never use wrist wraps.
Old 07-09-2004, 03:48 AM

Car Info: 2002MY Impreza WRX
http://www.boxinggyms.com/tips/handwraps.htm

There you go. I tend to do method #2.

Another method not listed is to do method #1 but don't string it between the 2nd and 3rd fingers.
Old 07-09-2004, 09:40 AM

Car Info: 2017 WRB WRX Premium
Any method will work. I was taught by my Muay Thai instructor to start once around the wrist, then go through each finger, palm side, then around the palm, around knuckles, then around the wrist again. With a little practice, you can get your hand wraps on fast. Just make sure they are tight. You don't want to twist your wrist, and if they are really loose you can open up your knuckles and bleed all over your gloves.

Kurlee Daddee
(THE ORIGINAL)
Old 07-09-2004, 10:21 AM

Car Info: GT35R, Meth
whoa I've never seen someone loop around their pinkie first, cool.

You want to wrap your hands with your fingers spaced out. This way you wrap TIGHT, but still won't suffocate your hand.

I go loop around thumb, wrist a couple times, palm a couple, individual fingers (this might take practice), knuckles, palm, wrist.

The main function of hand wraps is to prevent wrist and joint injury; the actual glove is what provides the impact padding, remember that.

and what the heck Choku Dori, are you trying to start a ninja militia learning all these fighting styles or something?
Old 07-09-2004, 10:30 AM

Car Info: '03 PSM Sedan
make sure that you let your gloves hang out to dry after a workout/match/whatever. open then up as far as they'll go and let them hang dry. don't leave 'em in a workout bag, 'cause that is when they'll get all funky.

i always loop the wrap arround my thumb, and criss cross over my palm and wrist to get a lot of support for my wrist. i know its not the clearest explanation. i tend not to wrap too much arround my knuckles, since the gloves provide enough padding there.
Old 07-09-2004, 10:44 AM

Car Info: 180sx super drift machine!
This is why I have a fiancee. She learns this stuff, and I look like a pimp when I snap my fingers and she puts my handwraps on. Pee Eye Em Pee.
Old 07-09-2004, 11:02 AM

Originally Posted by Ex-ricer
This is why I have a fiancee. She learns this stuff, and I look like a pimp when I snap my fingers and she puts my handwraps on. Pee Eye Em Pee.
But a real pimp wouldnt use his fiancee, he would have a couple hot japanese girls massaging his feet and one for his head, then have some exotic lookin purto rican girl wrapping his arms
Old 07-09-2004, 03:28 PM
VIP Member

Originally Posted by Fatal Velocity
But a real pimp wouldnt use his fiancee, he would have a couple hot japanese girls massaging his feet and one for his head, then have some exotic lookin purto rican girl wrapping his arms
Thats so true!

Quick Reply: Boxing hand wraps