Bible to be taught in school, in Texas.

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2009, 11:40 AM
VIP Member

Car Info: 2005 Unicorn
Originally Posted by saqwarrior
I don't answer your questions about where we got here because my answers don't matter to you.

Please tell me what makes your Christian belief correct and the belief of other Christians wrong.
neither of us are right until the end. seriously i have huge respect for people that can think for theirselves. Do i consider myself, fellow Christians, atheists, agnostics, etc etc think for their selfers? yes, because we choose based on what is presented to us to accept that belief.

there's never going to be an end to this argument because my community see's too many holes in the scientific theory on how we got here. Intelligent design makes more sense to us, just like how big bang and evolution makes more sense to you. I don't need to touch and see something to believe it. Call me naive, ignorant or easily pleased, but like I said before I went through a HUGE stage of telling God to eff off and I came back to Him. I started studying evolution and trying to accept that as where humans came from.. but none of it worked for me.

it's all about what works for the individual, would I love for everyone to become christian? heck yeah, am i going to hold it against them for not? no way i don't want someone to hold it against me for not accepting evolution.
Old 08-20-2009, 11:40 AM

Car Info: '03 yellow bugeye wagon
Originally Posted by evsoul
im not saying being a non-believer should mean no morals, I am saying what's the point if there's no judgement? why not just take what you can and do everything for yourself in this life?
Your argument basically states that you are such a pathetically damaged human being that if not for faith in your Christian God, you would go around murdering, stealing and other such horrible things, right? I mean without God why not? You would get everything you wanted and not have to atone for it! Wow, that seems pretty self-abasing to me.

I am an Atheist and I would never, ever even think of doing something like that. The point is to be a good human being. You get one shot. Think of quality of life. What is the quality of life of a rotten, false, corrupt, murderous individual vs. someone who takes pride in their life and try to live reasonably and treat others they way in which they themselves wish to be treated?
Old 08-20-2009, 11:42 AM

Car Info: 2015 WRX
honestly, i just thought it was hilarious that you used a cartoon picture haha. wasn't trying to be a dick just had to response out of humor because belief threads aren't ever nice when they could be. give me a few i have to get ready for class.
There's something you need to understand: we are all taking the position we are because of the way in which you conduct yourself in discussions like this. It's not enough for you to believe something -- you have to also tell us that science and the scientific method are wrong. If you just came in here and said "I believe X," you likely would have encountered a much different response than what you got with "X is right, and Y, what you believe, is wrong."

The scientific method that you are saying is wrong is what has given you the synthetic fibers in your clothing, the altered foods you eat, the engineering and physics behind the car you drive, the electrical engineering behind the computer you use, etc. Yet when the very same method is used to explain biological and cosmological questions, suddenly you claim that the scientific method is wrong. Don't you see the flaw in that?
Old 08-20-2009, 11:45 AM

im not saying being a non-believer should mean no morals, I am saying what's the point if there's no judgement? why not just take what you can and do everything for yourself in this life?
Originally Posted by Generic
Your argument basically states that you are such a pathetically damaged human being that if not for faith in your Christian God, you would go around murdering, stealing and other such horrible things, right? I mean without God why not? You would get everything you wanted and not have to atone for it! Wow, that seems pretty self-abasing to me.

I am an Atheist and I would never, ever even think of doing something like that. The point is to be a good human being. You get one shot. Think of quality of life. What is the quality of life of a rotten, false, corrupt, murderous individual vs. someone who takes pride in their life and try to live reasonably and treat others they way in which they themselves wish to be treated?
Let's not forget that the actions you take in life live on after your death through their effect on the world and others around you. Everyone has a chance to leave a legacy, and the afterlife has little to no bearing on what we leave in our wake.
Old 08-20-2009, 11:45 AM
VIP Member

Originally Posted by Generic

if it wasn't for God I don't believe we'd have any morals or capability for it.
Look at certain animals, they will kill one another for food. Do we do that? No. Because I believe there IS a God and he made us to be civilized. I don't believe that juuuuust by chance we came with a conscious. So to answer your question, without God I believe we'd all run around doing what was best for us, but because there is one we are different than animals.
Old 08-20-2009, 11:46 AM

neither of us are right until the end. seriously i have huge respect for people that can think for theirselves. Do i consider myself, fellow Christians, atheists, agnostics, etc etc think for their selfers? yes, because we choose based on what is presented to us to accept that belief.

there's never going to be an end to this argument because my community see's too many holes in the scientific theory on how we got here. Intelligent design makes more sense to us, just like how big bang and evolution makes more sense to you. I don't need to touch and see something to believe it. Call me naive, ignorant or easily pleased, but like I said before I went through a HUGE stage of telling God to eff off and I came back to Him. I started studying evolution and trying to accept that as where humans came from.. but none of it worked for me.

it's all about what works for the individual, would I love for everyone to become christian? heck yeah, am i going to hold it against them for not? no way i don't want someone to hold it against me for not accepting evolution.
Your response to the unknown: "God did it."
Our response to the unknown: "We don't know yet."

See the difference?
Old 08-20-2009, 11:47 AM
VIP Member

There's something you need to understand: we are all taking the position we are because of the way in which you conduct yourself in discussions like this. It's not enough for you to believe something -- you have to also tell us that science and the scientific method are wrong. If you just came in here and said "I believe X," you likely would have encountered a much different response than what you got with "X is right, and Y, what you believe, is wrong."

The scientific method that you are saying is wrong is what has given you the synthetic fibers in your clothing, the altered foods you eat, the engineering and physics behind the car you drive, the electrical engineering behind the computer you use, etc. Yet when the very same method is used to explain biological and cosmological questions, suddenly you claim that the scientific method is wrong. Don't you see the flaw in that?
have you read some of the posts against God in this? You are going to tell me they aren't incredibly disrespectful? I came in here with a smile because ultimately it's the internet and a forum. I shared my belief earlier then bam, I got attacked just for being one of the 2 or 3 that support intelligent design.

So don't call me out on it for defending my stance when I took the first hit.
Old 08-20-2009, 11:48 AM
Jin

Car Info: 05 CGM STi to be converted to RS
The thing I don't get is why religious people can't just say "Ok fine -- God created evolution." Bam, problem solved.

For example, the Catholic Church on evolution:

Something else I'm sure most religious people don't know is that a major contributor to the Big Bang theory was Georges Lemaitre, a Belgian physicist who was also a Roman Catholic Priest.

But no .. we get our information from atheists! Priests are atheists!!

The Catholic Church also officially supports the Big Bang theory in part because it coincides with their position that time began at the moment of creation.

Here's what the Episcopal Church says about "creation science":

So, religious people posting in this thread, which of your fellow millions of Christians are wrong? I'm sure I can find more examples of Christians supporting science, but I think two major denominations of Christianity should suffice.
well put, i was actually referring to similar statements as those when i said religious communities oppose ID and accept evolution.

good moral can exist without god or jesus.
moral issue shouldnt be a fixed idea, it should be based on human instinct. for example, if it causes pain, then it shouldnt be done. simple as that.

would one feel proud to help an elderly cross a road or would one feel more proud to push an elderly into traffic? this is simple human instinct, it has nothing to do with teachings of bible. sure there are some those who might take pleasure from other's suffering, those men end up in prison or worse and some get away with it. that doesnt mean atheism = violence.

its like saying marijuana is a gateway drug which is rejected by most logical and rational thinkers.
Old 08-20-2009, 11:48 AM
VIP Member

Your response to the unknown: "God did it."
Our response to the unknown: "We don't know yet."

See the difference?
And my point is that's what we are comfortable with. I believe in God, you believe in science. Why can't you take your path and I take mine? Don't act like yours is better because you lack many answers too man.
Old 08-20-2009, 11:50 AM
VIP Member

Originally Posted by Jin
well put, i was actually referring to similar statements as those when i said religious communities oppose ID and accept evolution.

good moral can exist without god or jesus.
moral issue shouldnt be a fixed idea, it should be based on human instinct. for example, if it causes pain, then it shouldnt be done. simple as that.

would one feel proud to help an elderly cross a road or would one feel more proud to push an elderly into traffic? this is simple human instinct, it has nothing to do with teachings of bible. sure there are some those who might take pleasure from other's suffering, those men end up in prison or worse and some get away with it. that doesnt mean atheism = violence.

its like saying marijuana is a gateway drug which is rejected by most logical and rational thinkers.
I'm not saying you need God IN YOUR LIFE to have morals, I'm merely stating that without God, I believe we'd be no different than animals fighting for food even among brothers and sisters like we witness animals do in the wild.

Sorry if that's not good enough for you, but it's how I feel.
Old 08-20-2009, 11:50 AM

have you read some of the posts against God in this? You are going to tell me they aren't incredibly disrespectful? I came in here with a smile because ultimately it's the internet and a forum. I shared my belief earlier then bam, I got attacked just for being one of the 2 or 3 that support intelligent design.

So don't call me out on it for defending my stance when I took the first hit.
I'm not really interested in going back and looking, but I'm willing to bet money that the first judgment in this thread and the first "X is wrong" came from Team God.
Old 08-20-2009, 11:52 AM

And my point is that's what we are comfortable with. I believe in God, you believe in science. Why can't you take your path and I take mine? Don't act like yours is better because you lack many answers too man.
You ignored this:

Old 08-20-2009, 11:58 AM
Jin

Car Info: 05 CGM STi to be converted to RS
Look at certain animals, they will kill one another for food. Do we do that? No.
only difference is that we dont go out and hunt them, we just grow them.

animals eating other animals or cannibalism?

cannibalism has been done during times of dire need for survival.

Last edited by Jin; 08-20-2009 at 12:03 PM.
Old 08-20-2009, 11:59 AM
Yin

Car Info: 2016 FXT
so animals and humans are different because animals dont know god exist? how is it that we share much of the same dna sequences (most mammals have proteins that share 90%+ protein and dna sequence homology to each other) and metabolic processes that allow all living things to survive? so intelligently design everything, but only give the concept of "faith" to humans?
Old 08-20-2009, 11:59 AM
VIP Member

You ignored this:
Sorry, I'm getting ready for school while reading and posting.

Just because something works one way doesn't mean it works another.
I will find the website where this group sent in an Allosaurus Rex bone and had it carbon dated without telling the lab it was a dinosaur bone.. the lab returned that with results of it being something like 16,000 years old. When we believed the Allosaurus to have lived about 145 million years ago.

that's what makes me skeptical of a lot of testing. Tons of testing happens that I have no clue what it is, so I don't form an opinion of trust/distrust on it.

but for example something like carbon dating, I call BS on. Not saying it doesn't work but I refuse to accept it to work all the time making its results skeptical.

Quick Reply: Bible to be taught in school, in Texas.