View Poll Results: The Beastie Boys are...
the Kings of Hip Hop
44.12%
they're fun and all, but not "the Kings"
38.24%
just WAY too old school for me, I'm not even 20 yet!
0%
not enough about poppin' caps in yo azz and drinkin' Krystal
0%
the poster boys of lameness. What were 3 jewish boys from Brooklyn thinking?!
17.65%
Voters: 34. You may not vote on this poll

The Beastie Boys are...

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2003, 08:27 AM
VIP Member

Car Info: 2016 Acura RDX ... meh. Um, nice subwoofer?
The Beastie Boys are...

I just don't hear a lot about the Beastie Boys these days or hear them pumpin' from BAIC cars. (Surprising to me, even with their recent slowness to produce new tracks in the past few years). And, for the life of me, I just can't figure out why!?

Last edited by mmboost; 10-02-2003 at 08:36 AM.
Old 10-02-2003, 08:40 AM
VIP Member

Car Info: '02 WRB WRX Wagon
They are too old school for the youngins. I like some to most of their songs. But I can't say that all of their songs are good. Songs like Brass Monkey and Sabotage and Paul Revere are kick *** songs. I'd still listen to those, if I still had my subs in my car. I think its time to put them back in.
Old 10-02-2003, 08:54 AM
VIP Member

Hmmm... funny thing, those are not songs I'd consider at the top of tthe hiphop part of their style, except maybe Brass Monkey in some respects. I love Licensed To Ill and all, you could hear it every where coming outta cars almost all thru highschool when I was growing up in NYC. But stuff like "Paul's Boutique" with "Root Down" and "Flute Loop", or "Hello Nasty" with tracks like "The Move" or "Body Movin'", to me no one beats their creativity and continuingly developing style that puts out a lot of influence. While everyone else is making simple beats and giving their angriest potty mouth, the Beastie Boys are mixing it up with all sortsa styles and making up some witty lyrics. I cannot conceive how someone would like, say DMX, over the Beastie Boys... let alone like DMX at all. Hey, hey, its just my opinion

Admittedly, they don't talk enough about social issues, but it certainly hasn't elluded them ("... multinationals spreading like a rash..."), so instead of always talking about everyone losing sisters and brothers to drivebys, the address the larger issues that create the problems in the first place. But, its not enough.
Old 10-02-2003, 09:04 AM
VIP Member

I see what you are saying. And I am by no means saying DMX is better than the Beastie Boys. But when I compare the Beastie Boys to other rappers of that era, Run-DMC, Rakim for example, I don't think that they were all that great. Good no doubt, but not great.
Old 10-02-2003, 09:16 AM
Former Sponsor

Car Info: I got a couple :)
nah man they all OD'd and got fat !
Old 10-02-2003, 09:18 AM
VIP Member

Yeah... when I go back and listen to Run-DMCs first album I find myself terribly disappointed. I think "Man I used to LOVE this stuff to no end". Although I see how its the basis of it ALL, I still enjoy stuff like Grand Master Flash way more. There was this split that was "hip hop" and then stuff that was "just rap". To me Flash was way more about hip hop music than just rapping, which is what the Beasties seem to me... although you can heavily hear the Run-DMC influence in their rap.

I don't even recall Rakim at all. When I think of the early Beasties era I compare them to guys like early LL CoolJ, Curtis Blow, ... at which time the Beasties were still trying to break out of the stigma of being a white punk band (heh) that was just trying to make fun of rappers

To me the clincher is in term of the ability to evolve. I think (besides internal reasons) bands like Run-DMC didn't continue on because they didn't evolve enough. Rap has as of late almost been stuck in gangsta mode and all the fronting combined with a lack of original talent it boring the crap out of me... sending me back to my old Beasties and Curtis Blow

Note that the more negative voters don't reply
Old 10-02-2003, 09:25 AM
VIP Member

Yea I agree. Curtis Blow and Grandmaster Flash and Sugar Hill Gang were true hip hop. This new stuff they pawn off as hip hop is junk. If I want to listen to quality rap, then I will dig out my old stuff. If I just want something to listen to that hits hard with subs, then I will break out the Master P, 3 6 Mafia, CD's like that.
Old 10-02-2003, 09:29 AM
Dahveed aka Robin Hood

Car Info: (RIP) '04 STi Silver
They are huge hip-hop innovators, and spearheaded white hip-hop particularly.

Plus, you too would be huge if you've done as much blow as they have!

I'm also partial to them because my Father was a jewish kid from Brooklyn long ago...

I have almost all their albums, from Paul's Boutique on.

Long live the Beasties!
Old 10-02-2003, 09:43 AM
VIP Member

Car Info: 2003 WRX, 2008 Camry
they're definately in the TOP 10 artists to revolutionize the HIP HOP/ RAP industry.

666th post [devil/]
Old 10-02-2003, 10:19 AM
This Guy Can Hella Draw!

Car Info: '14 MBP FXT | '03 WW Evo VIII
One of my favorites, but not the Kings. The mention of Kings spark thoughts of Run-DMC (RIP JMJ). Pioneers of White hip-hop definitely.
Old 10-02-2003, 10:22 AM

Car Info: 03 WRX, 06 Evo IX MR, now 2010 STi
Yep the beastie boys are up there with the kings of hip hop. The last time I saw concert was there Sabotage concert in Oakland. Man that was tight!

-Phillip
Old 10-02-2003, 10:23 AM
This Guy Can Hella Draw!

Car Info: '14 MBP FXT | '03 WW Evo VIII
Oh! The addition of Mix Master Mike is a key moment for the Beasties. Hurricane was good and all but Mike is a better fit for them.
Old 10-02-2003, 10:45 AM
VIP Member

I agree about MM Mike... although I find when songs become more Mike-oriented than Beastie-oriented its not as fluid... I could swear Electrify is a Mike track *shiver*

jason
Old 10-02-2003, 11:47 AM

Car Info: 2017 WRB WRX Premium
The Beastie Boys are...

fricking old now. I saw an interview with them recently, and they looked all tore up.

I really don't see the Beastie Boys being the kings of hip-hop, but they did make it okay for white people to actually become MC's and start spitting rhymes.

Kings of Hip-Hop are pioneers who paved the way for hip-hop and how it was formed:

Run DMC
Africa Bambatta
Grandmaster Flash and Melle Mell
Mantronix

All had a little different style but were creative and didn't bite off each other.

Then groups like the Beastie Boys, LL Cool J, The Whole Juice Crew (Master Ace, Kool G. Rap, Big Daddy Kane, Biz Markie, Craig G.), Boogie Down Productions, Ultramagnetic MC's, Public Enemy, etc. came out and formed the type of Hip-Hop music we hear today.

Kurlee Daddee
(THE ORIGINAL)

Quick Reply: The Beastie Boys are...