Old 08-09-2017, 09:26 PM

Car Info: http://kiva.org/invitedby/brett4254
Angry CARB is getting ready to come after race cars

Crap... looks like competition vehicles are in the gun sites now
https://www.arb.ca.gov/enf/racingveh...ngvehicles.htm
Old 08-10-2017, 07:11 AM
Churro Aficionado

Car Info: IG - @TEAMMOISTOFFICIAL
No where in there did it state they are "coming after race cars"....

They said

racing vehicles, defined as competition vehicles not used on public highways, are exempt from emissions control requirements...
They also said that some "race only" parts are on "non race cars". Like buying a catless downpipe online - they are for "off road or racing only", yet people still install and run them on the streets. I'd guess those and similar are their targets.
Old 08-10-2017, 08:23 AM

Car Info: http://kiva.org/invitedby/brett4254
I posted with less info than I should have.
This is part of a conversation elsewhere

Rex Tener shared a link.
August 8 at 3:50pm · San Mateo
I have held off on posting this for awhile, but it looks like CARB is serious. CARB has been regulating off-road competition motorcycles for years. Some types of motorcycles can not be used on county/state land between June and October.
California also requires all motorcycles to be registered for street, off-road, or have a transportation permit to be even moved on/in a trailer or in the bed of pickup on public roads.
CARB has now realized that people use off-road competition motorcycles for practice at race tracks or for recreation off-road. They claim that is "illegal" and are about to change the regulations to make it illegal and/or ban the sale of competition motorcycles in the state of California.
This is where it affects the car people. At the first public study session on the issue, when it was pointed out that competition race cars don't need emissions, registration, or transportation permits, CARB indicated they were going to fix that.
Old 08-10-2017, 08:38 AM
If in doubt, FLAT OUT

Car Info: 2010 Hatch, 2011 Sedan
"Off road only" parts were already illegal, sounds like they intend to enforce more. Companies selling them here had to state as such so they could sell them here. Saying they want to do this and actually doing it aren't the same thing, but it doesn't sound good.
Old 08-10-2017, 11:30 AM
Call me Pebbles

Car Info: Moist
Originally Posted by Lowend
Very much not the case. In fact, quite the opposite.

Reading the stakeholder presentation, it's pretty clear, and is explicitly stated, that the State wishes to "protect exemption for true racing purposes" by "provid[ing] clarity on exempted vehicle use", "enhanc[ing] access to racing parts", "creat[ing] guidelines for race vehicle conversions", "distinguish[ing] between legitimate practice for racing purposes and recreation".

What I can see arising from this action is the definitions of a "competition" or "racing" vehicle being developed in order to require owners to register them as such in order to purchase aftermarket parts and, and this part hasn't and probably will never change, enforcement actions (fines, etc.) being levied against end-users installing those parts on vehicles not registered as a "competition" or "racing" vehicle. Since they seemed so focused on "preserving California's rich racing heritage", I would be very surprised if, at any point in the future, they will require emissions controls on vehicles registered as "competition" or "racing" to operate in California--what are they going to do, sniffer a NASCAR?

This whole thing was probably brought about as the result of a lawsuit in which someone challenged some definition of some term in the regulation. Happens all the time.
Old 08-16-2017, 10:03 PM
General Pimpin'

Car Info: MY04 aspen wrx wagon.
Originally Posted by Lowend
waste of tax dollars. The effect is so minimal on any and everything. Its not worth the time or money.

its a distraction and a waste of money