Bay Area Shooting Range?

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2007, 08:16 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: 05 WRX
Bay Area Shooting Range?

Hey guys, I have a buddy over from England next week who wants to go shoot some guns...what are the best places in the bay area for some guns & ammo action???

TIA
Old 09-06-2007, 08:22 PM
Friendly Neighborhood Ogre

Car Info: GUNATICS.COM
Reeds Indoor Range in San Jose (Or is it Santa Clara?).

www.reedsindoorrange.com

Def the best one.

Also, in Milpitas there is a range called Targetmasters. It's sort of ghetto though, lots of sketchy people go there, the staff doesn't know sheet unless you're talking to the head people, but mostly its kids right out of HS helping you and they don't know jack about anything. The one plus with Target Masters is that they are open late. 12:00am, they take their last shooter at 11:00.

Reeds is open till 9 I believe. The people that work there are very knowledgeable, and the people that shoot there are higher class than with target masters.

Prices are listed on reeds website. They both have pretty good selections for rent, though reeds has higher end pistols.

Have fun man!

PS: Bet you didn't expect me to post in this thread! Ha!
Old 09-06-2007, 08:29 PM

Car Info: Evo X GSR, F250 Powerstroke Diesel
There's a nice shooting range in concord off of Highway 4, on Willow Pass road. Its a NRA gun range on the old naval weapons station. They have a 25 meter handgun range and a 50m and 100m rifle range. Its real cool, reminds of the rifle range's in the Army.
Old 09-06-2007, 09:12 PM

Car Info: 05 wrx
i like Targetmasters, that was the place i fired my first gun.... i was in the 6th grade... HAHAHA
Old 09-07-2007, 01:16 AM

Car Info: 2012 G37S / Sold 06 WRX
Do you need any kind of licensing or prior experience to do something like this?
Old 09-07-2007, 02:05 AM

Car Info: 2004 WRB STi w/ s202 spoiler
Daniel,

I'm not a fan of Reed's. I rented a Springfield XD 9mm there (I'm looking at buying one) and it was so dirty it had trouble cycling. When I mentioned this to one of the employees I got a rash and a **** about how if I wanted to clean guns for 28 hours a day and how maybe I should open my own shooting range... Even putting aside the "do as I say, not as I do" attitude they seem to have with regard to holsters and loaded firearms outside the range area, I will *NEVER* go there again. I'll stick with Target Masters.
Old 09-07-2007, 04:33 AM

Car Info: '01 Forester S
Thumbs up

Glen,
Jackson Arms on Utah in South City.
Old 09-07-2007, 07:26 AM

Car Info: 05 WRX
Originally Posted by 2cam16
Glen,
+1 i like them there
Old 09-07-2007, 07:34 AM

Car Info: Hilux Double Cab with a Dishka on top
Originally Posted by illogical
Daniel,

I'm not a fan of Reed's. I rented a Springfield XD 9mm there (I'm looking at buying one) and it was so dirty it had trouble cycling. When I mentioned this to one of the employees I got a rash and a **** about how if I wanted to clean guns for 28 hours a day and how maybe I should open my own shooting range... Even putting aside the "do as I say, not as I do" attitude they seem to have with regard to holsters and loaded firearms outside the range area, I will *NEVER* go there again. I'll stick with Target Masters.
I noticed that only in the Bay Area's shooting ranges do you have to put up with all these Douchebags with attitude who happen to be employees at the range. I remember a few years ago, one of my buddies from Socal came up here to visit and we went to Targetmasters to do some shooting. The guy working the counter almost had a heart attack when they asked to see the guns and my friend took out his preban HK SP89. The employee kept saying "is that thing legal in California"?!! "It better be registered, etc" Basically running off at the mouth about something he knows jack **** about.

Never had to deal with idiots working at the range like that down in Socal. But then again, seeing people with AR's, AK's, FAL's, etc at the range is a normal thing down there. People up here **** themselves at the thought of such badass weaponry.
Old 09-07-2007, 07:44 AM

Car Info: 04 WRB Sti/05 Titan
Originally Posted by PenguinPrincess
+1 i like them there
x2.................
Old 09-07-2007, 08:32 AM
VIP Member

Car Info: Corvette Z51
Originally Posted by 2cam16
Glen,
I can vouch for them too!
Old 09-07-2007, 09:00 AM

Car Info: 2003 WRX Wagon (RIP)
Originally Posted by RU-X
i like Targetmasters, that was the place i fired my first gun.... i was in the 6th grade... HAHAHA
Isn't Targetmasters right next to AI also? You can go shoot a few rounds waiting for your alignment to get dialed in.
Old 09-07-2007, 09:04 AM
Friendly Neighborhood Ogre

Car Info: GUNATICS.COM
Originally Posted by illogical
Daniel,

Damn! Thats crazy... I know the guys there are strict, but they should be since its a shooting range... But I've never encountered that! Crazy.

I usually go to targetmasters because its really close to my house... I hardly ever rent guns from them unless I don't have my own for whatever reason... I was test shooting a Glock 36 (I think, I could be wrong) that I rented, and it was so dirty that it would not fire rounds... basically the firing pin was so sludged up that it didn't strike the brass hard enough, or in the right spot.

I told them about it and they offered to give me another pistols, which is cool, so no complaint there. My only complaint is for the newbie shooter, Target masters isn't the best place since they hire a lot of people who don't know jack about guns or anything... Sometimes you'll get lucky and get someone who is very knowledgable, but it's hard to find.

I dunno... both are just very different from each other, both have their benefits.
Old 09-07-2007, 09:20 AM

Car Info: 05 wrx
Originally Posted by crazy_sherm
Isn't Targetmasters right next to AI also? You can go shoot a few rounds waiting for your alignment to get dialed in.
sure is, and its right next to the 50 station, so if anyone gets too crazy, your a block aways from help lol
Old 09-07-2007, 09:51 AM

Car Info: 06 sgm obs
Hi Glen,

My favorite is the Chabot Gun Club near Castro Valley in the east bay. It's an outdoor range in the hills and it feels like your shooting in a forest.

You can check out other places to shoot in the bay area from this web link:

http://www.dragunov.net/bay_area_ranges.htm

Quick Reply: Bay Area Shooting Range?