Bad week for cars =/

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2011, 12:30 PM

Car Info: 2005 Stg.2 Wrx
Bad week for cars =/

Bought two cars this past week. One for the dad since his dd blew up and one for the sister to learn how to drive on.

96 bmw 328i - auto - 150k - rwd - dad
87 toyota supra - auto - 67k(!!!) - rwd - sis

Both were not bad deals. (Pics seem to be too big and I don't know how to resize)

After 3 days, the bimmer's radiator started leaking. There was a crack in it somehow. Bought a brand new radiator and had the shop put it in. ($350)

Day 4, radiator hose leaking. Currently in the process of replacing the hose myself.

Day 5, the Supra died on San Carlos in Downtown San Jose. Thankfully the music festival was going on and the majority of people seemed to be high so they were very willing to help out. Problem ends up being a broken timing belt. If there is engine damage, Idk what to do. If no engine damage, will probably replace water pump at the same time and keep driving it.

That is all.
sigh.
Old 08-13-2011, 12:46 PM
Yeah, You've Probably Never Heard Of Me.

Car Info: 345/30/19s
Depends if the supra motor is an interference motor, if not then you can most likely just have the T belt rplaced, if it is interfrence motor... you don't want to know
Old 08-13-2011, 12:53 PM
i-Club Sympathizer

Car Info: 1969 BMW R75/5 & Work Whip
Depends on which engine. The non-turbo was a non interference motor if I remember correctly.
Old 08-13-2011, 01:29 PM

Car Info: Black On Black Wingless 05 STI
Sorry to hear this man. I hope it all works out as well..
Old 08-13-2011, 02:00 PM

Originally Posted by Krinkov
Depends if the supra motor is an interference motor, if not then you can most likely just have the T belt rplaced, if it is interfrence motor... you don't want to know
Originally Posted by Unit 91
Depends on which engine. The non-turbo was a non interference motor if I remember correctly.
Both the 7mge and 7mgte (turbo) are non interference motors for the MKiii (86-93)

So I hope it's good news.
Old 08-13-2011, 02:04 PM

Car Info: Some sort of Subaru
Originally Posted by woocabin
Both the 7mge and 7mgte (turbo) are non interference motors for the MKiii (86-93)

So I hope it's good news.
I hope it is too..
Old 08-13-2011, 02:07 PM

Update: Hose on e36 has been replaced as well but still small leak. Can't over tighten because radiator is plastic.
Old 08-13-2011, 05:30 PM
Yeah, You've Probably Never Heard Of Me.

Car Info: 345/30/19s
Update: Hose on e36 has been replaced as well but still small leak. Can't over tighten because radiator is plastic.
you can smear a bit of permatex inside the hose when you install it and it will make a good sealant, though it will be tough to get the hose off later though hopefully that wont be for some time.

And yeah lucky break on the non interference motor. Now its just a T-belt job which you needed to do anyways. If it was only 67k miles that was the original T-belt anyhow
Old 08-13-2011, 07:36 PM

Originally Posted by Krinkov
you can smear a bit of permatex inside the hose when you install it and it will make a good sealant, though it will be tough to get the hose off later though hopefully that wont be for some time.

And yeah lucky break on the non interference motor. Now its just a T-belt job which you needed to do anyways. If it was only 67k miles that was the original T-belt anyhow
Yessir, will just swap out basic maintenance parts. Doing some late 60k maintenance.
Old 08-13-2011, 08:01 PM

Car Info: Miata and dirtbikes
same horror story about my old 91 m5.
Old 08-13-2011, 09:06 PM
iClub Silver Vendor

Car Info: 2005 LGT wagon
Most European cars made after the late '90s suck ***; costly to repair, same parts failing, etc.
My business neighbor has answer M6 convertable that needs a new top...after only 20ka miles.
Estimated cost =$15k.
Old 08-13-2011, 09:43 PM

Car Info: 2002 Wrx Wagon Vf34 EQ tuned
Thankfully the music festival was going on and the majority of people seemed to be high so they were very willing to help out. .
Sorry about your luck but this was pretty funny
Old 08-14-2011, 12:20 PM

Car Info: 90 325is
Originally Posted by Paul@dbtuned
Most European cars made after the late '90s suck ***; costly to repair, same parts failing, etc.
My business neighbor has answer M6 convertable that needs a new top...after only 20ka miles.
Estimated cost =$15k.
Most of the new bmw are retarded. if your battery goes dead it has to be towed to the dealer. Jumping it or changing the battery yourself will result in frying about $2500 in electronic modules.

BMW with a Dead Battery? Stop. Tow. Save Tons of Dough. « BMW Service Blog from La Jolla Independent
Old 08-14-2011, 12:22 PM

Car Info: Hybrid
Bought two cars this past week. One for the dad since his dd blew up and one for the sister to learn how to drive on.

96 bmw 328i - auto - 150k - rwd - dad
87 toyota supra - auto - 67k(!!!) - rwd - sis

Both were not bad deals. (Pics seem to be too big and I don't know how to resize)

After 3 days, the bimmer's radiator started leaking. There was a crack in it somehow. Bought a brand new radiator and had the shop put it in. ($350)

Day 4, radiator hose leaking. Currently in the process of replacing the hose myself.

Day 5, the Supra died on San Carlos in Downtown San Jose. Thankfully the music festival was going on and the majority of people seemed to be high so they were very willing to help out. Problem ends up being a broken timing belt. If there is engine damage, Idk what to do. If no engine damage, will probably replace water pump at the same time and keep driving it.

That is all.
sigh.
I love Supra's! Awesome looking cars

Quick Reply: Bad week for cars =/