attn. gun people

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2005, 05:46 PM

Car Info: 03WRX=sold 08STI=newhotness
attn. gun people

So I've been to the range a couple of times, and am thinking of picking up a .22 to learn the basics, and get a lot of *cheap* practice in.

Just wondering what the buying proccess is like, what I can expect, and what some of the cheaper places are to buy around here.

From what I gather I will have to:

-Pass a background check.
-Get a handgun saftey certificate (do they do the test at most gun stores?).
-Wait ten days.
-Get gun, and trigger lock.

profit?

also is it worth it to wait for a local gun show?

TIA
Old 09-11-2005, 08:16 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: R.I.P 03 aspen white wrx
it is worth the wait for a local gun show

Most importantly, know what your looking for before hand, by handling different guns at local gun shops with big selections (Reed's Sport Shop in san jose has a good selection last i recall)

but most importantly know the going prices and hold out for a gun show, cause there is were your more likely to find a good deal, i know i did this weekend at the Vallejo gun show.

the process does suck, giving a deposit waiting 10 days then heading out to pick up your new weapon sounds as bad as it is, not to mention all the add on fees for the back round check and the handgun safety certificate.

for me the dealer that sold me my gun is in sac. and im in modesto so i have quite a drive to do just to pick it up, there was a transfer option but that would have cost me another 45 bucks.

but like i said just know what guns your looking for and do your research before hand
edgar,

ps remember this tip, 50% of finding the right gun for you is how it feels in your hand. And make sure your not having to stretch your trigger finger to fire.
Old 09-11-2005, 08:40 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: R.I.P 03 aspen white wrx
if i may add since your looking for a .22

id look into the Ruger Mark II Target Model/ or Mark III. it has been known to win out bullseye matches were models X2 its price range were present.

edgar,
Old 09-11-2005, 08:50 PM
Friendly Neighborhood Ogre

Car Info: GUNATICS.COM
Dont bother with gun shows... usually a rip off (if you're in CA). Go to the internet for sales... They can ship to almost all FFL dealers in CA. I got my G-17 for $400 shipped... Vs $599 at the store.
Old 09-11-2005, 09:57 PM

what online places should I keep an eye on? I noticed those auction links in the other thread. I'd assume there is additional fees to having it shipped to an "FFL" or whatever that acronym is... Any online places that are based local?

I have had another solid recomendation for the Ruger mark II / mark III. I live around a 30 sec. drive from Reeds Indoor range. So as soon as soon as I can find somebody to go with me I'll be testing out whatever 22's they got there.

I found a study guide for the HSC online... looks like it will be cake.
Old 09-11-2005, 10:16 PM

Car Info: Hilux Double Cab with a Dishka on top
HSC is a piece of cake. Most of it is all common sense questions. If you buy a gun from an auction or from an online dealer, you will have to pay the shipping fees (overnight only for firearms), then pay a transfer fee which is usually upwards of $50, then $25 for the CA DROS (background check) fees. But one thing you save on, is the CA state tax.
Old 09-11-2005, 11:13 PM
the artist formerly known as mcdrama

Car Info: WRBP 2015 WRX Premium/CVT
I have been looking at http://www.auctionarms.com for a semi-auto rifle, and a 9mm pistol.
The Hi-Point C-9 is like $110 to $140 MSRP for a new one.

So what is this about HSC? I need a license or something?
Old 09-12-2005, 12:44 AM

Car Info: Hilux Double Cab with a Dishka on top
McDrama, don't get that Hi Point C-9. Hi Points are garbage, same with Lorcins and other cheap "saturday night specials". Not only that, I don't think they are CA legal anyways, due to the fact that I doubt those things will pass the drop test and other safety tests. You're better off with a Ruger PC9 if you really want a pistol caliber carbine, which I don't know why you would want in the first place.
Old 09-12-2005, 04:14 AM

I agree that the hi-point is a POS. Though I've heard good reviews on it, I wouldnt trust my life with it. If you want an uber reliable pistol, there is no substitute for a Glock (Or Springfield XD). Spend the extra dough and get a good pistol, especially for your first and only pistol. If you get more down the line, fine, get a hi-point... But if you want something to rely on, Glock/XD is the only choice. (unless you get a revolver, but your capacity is limited then).
Old 09-12-2005, 04:28 AM
03.23.67 - 06.14.13

better get it before 2006. tons of new adn CRAPPY laws will in place to make it harder to law abiding citizens... er, subjects in kalifornia to own them...
Old 09-12-2005, 04:35 AM

Originally Posted by ldivinag
better get it before 2006. tons of new adn CRAPPY laws will in place to make it harder to law abiding citizens... er, subjects in kalifornia to own them...

Serious.
Old 09-12-2005, 06:00 AM
03.23.67 - 06.14.13

Originally Posted by mcdrama

So what is this about HSC? I need a license or something?
HSC = handgun safety course (IIRC). piece of <bleep> scam.

before this, was the BFSC (basic firearms safety course) that cost $20 to get.

stupid test. of course they didnt tell you was that some idiot in sacto would change this to the HSC. and yes, my BFSC card became useless.

so in order for me to buy another handgun, i have to be TAXED again on this BS. that's why i buy outside state. my small fight...

anyways, rifles (or long guns) dont require this stiupidty.

but all laws apply like 10 day wait, blah, blah blah. at least you are not limited to 1 long gun per month rule like handguns.

also FFL = feredal firearms license.

usually, the store you buy from includes this FEE. the DROS, you have to have to pay for no matter what.

so, sometimes, buying from a local place is cheaper, even with tax. some stores that will accept a firearm from outside the state will charge you like 10% of the price.

my FFL is a side business for this dude. he charges me $50 for his FFL fees and DROS.

DROS = dealers record of sale, btw.

btw, in fremont, check out IRVINGTON ARMS, across the street from tri-cty sporting goods (used to be a hell of a gun dept).
Old 09-12-2005, 06:43 AM

Originally Posted by ldivinag

btw, in fremont, check out IRVINGTON ARMS, across the street from tri-cty sporting goods (used to be a hell of a gun dept).

Yeah, they suck now and their prices are a rip off.
Old 09-12-2005, 07:34 AM

Since you have to go thru a tremendous amount of crap to get a pistol, I would suggest going direct to the gun you would use in a self defence situation; i.e., not a 22. 22's are cheap for practice, but I would recommend at least a 9mm and I agree that the Glock is a very good choice. Getting good with a Ruger Mk II 22 ( a great pistol BTW) is not the same as getting good with a 9mm or larger hand gun. 45's are one of the time tested all around best "man stoppers" Front Sight offers great training if you can afford it. see them at http://www.frontsight.com/
California is one of the worst places to own firearms and it is going to get even more onerous. Buy now or kick yourself later. That means buy ammo now too. Next time you vote think about this issue as most of these lost and stupid politicians will legislate your rights away because they think it makes them safer.
Old 09-12-2005, 07:46 AM

... damn. where can I find the new laws that go into affect 1/2006

Quick Reply: attn. gun people